Ruger & S&W all in one screwdriver recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Any thoughts on the Grace screwdriver bit set?

I like that it has somewhat longer bits. I also have an assortment of the orange Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver handles that I absolutely love- they would work well with this. I have the Brownells bits already, just looking for something longer.

Last edited:
I have heard good things about the Grace set. They are hollow ground (which is what you want) and are tool steel. Not too bad a price for a basic kit.

As for the Six series DA revolvers - they can be taken down to the major component level with a .38/.357 casing. The rim fits the grip screw and the mainspring strut is used to "pop" the trigger assembly out. After that - easy peasy to finish taking it apart. That said, a small flat screwdriver and a "popper" tool makes it even easier. Brownells use to have/sell the "Ruger popper" but no longer. I do know a guy who has made some for sale ;) and has some in stock.

wilecoyote

Bearcat
I think the give away on the S&W "screw driver" is the fact that they were only included with revolvers that had adjustable rear sights. If S&W had intended to give you a real screwdriver they would have included it with all their guns. The fact that it sort of fits the rest of the screws is what gets folks in trouble and ruins good guns.
...it was subsequently replaced by a sort of dogtag steel tool supposedly intended to adjust sights "only"_

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
The first set of gunsmith screwdrivers I bought around 1970 were made/labelled ? Bonanza. I still have most of them and they were used hard and held up well.
The next set I bought a few years later was the Grace set.
Somewhat disappointed in them.
Some have held up well and not so much on the smaller, more frequently used ones.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I picked up a screwdriver set at a gun show that had 40 or more different screwdriver bits and the handle for $5

loaded round

Hunter
I second the Chapman Set for most of your basic gunsmith work. Gave a chapman set to my buddy as a christmas present and he was as happy as a coon dog in- - - - !

Toyman

Single-Sixer
After I returned from S&W armorers school in1979 I purchased a set of Grace metal products hollow ground screw drivers and I still use them. I bought a LEO screw driver set from Brownells and twisted the size used S&W sideplate screws .Brownell bits are soft.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Anyone have experience with this set ?

Attachments

• 80CEBC1F-4CF2-409F-AD80-43AE333DE089.jpeg
    80CEBC1F-4CF2-409F-AD80-43AE333DE089.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 30

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Brownell's offers their standard size magna tip screwdrivers in kit form for just the Smith & Wesson with several different size bits. One goes in the end and the rest are meant to be stored in the hollow space in the handle. This hollow space has a threaded twist-on cap. The bits in the kit will be all you will likely need for the Ruger also. They make these kits for Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and other brands including shot guns and rifles. I have three of these and so far they have covered all my guns. I would love the master kit and if you can afford it , that is the way to go. If not get a kit for the Smith & Wesson and add others when you need to. My kits were $15 each at the time. Like all things, likely not what they cost today.
The brownells S&W Magna tip kit is perfect for my needs. Hollow ground and nice assortment without breaking the bank. Highly recommend

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Go with the Wheeler Engineering Screwdriver set if you want an inexpensive that has flat head, torque head and Phillips head blades. $14.99. Small enough to keep in your range bag.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Mine is the six blade set jbt described in post#18. 6 blades with 5 stored in handle with a longer shank than the one you linked. I can see how a shorter screwdriver could be better though for removing side plate screws. Might give more control. I guide the blade with my left hand to the screw head so not to scratch the side plate using the longer screwdriver.

Latest posts