Ruger repairs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Just wondering If a Ruger sent in for repairs that is over 2 years old,will Ruger pay for shipping of that firearm??

Thank You

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
Will probably depend on whether it was a factory defect. If so, they most likely will pick up the tab for shipping, repair, and return. If not, no idea?

What's the nature of the repair required?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
They probably will not pay for the incoming shipping but depending on what defect they find,they will or will not pay return freight. If you have your local dealer do the shipping and receiving of it you will save a LOT of money on shipping charges. Dealers can ship by USPS, you can not.
The last one I shipped by UPS was $107.00 one way from WA state.

Enigma

Hunter
I think that largely depends on who you speak to at Ruger, and to a lesser extent what the problem(s) are. One customer service rep told me that they wouldn't pay for return of a gun over three years old. I told her that I know that isn't the case, because they had previously paid the shipping on a 10 year-old gun. She still declined, so I didn't return the gun at that time. A few weeks later I called and spoke to another customer service rep, who told me that the same problems were considered 'elective work,' and they weren't accepting any until after May 1st due to their backlog.

The gun in question is a supposedly collectible 'SASS Mistake' Bisley Flattop .44 Spl 7-1/2". The grip frame was essentially NOT fitted at the factory before the gun was blued and shipped, and frankly, it looks like hammered dog poo. This is one of the last batch, the 'clean-up' guns, the last 30 or so made out of 124. I've seen one additional specimen of these cleanup guns, and it looks even worse than my example. Let's just say that I'm not favorably impressed.

I ultimately decided that since I was going to have to pay shipping anyway, I would send it someone other than Ruger, who could be counted on to perform the work correctly, the first time. I guess they're obviously more concerned with quantity of production rather than assuring that most of what they send out the door isn't ultimately returned for factory repair. Anyway, the additional 123 examples of this gun just became marginally more "valuable and collectible," because mine will no longer be in the original configuration.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
D_Gunner said:
Cylinder lock up

Cyl lock up is not generally a big issue. If you could supply some details, we might be able to save you a lot of time and hassle.

Is it bound up against the end of the barrel, or can you still see a gap there?

Can you get the cyl out? If so does the cyl bolt go up and down when you cock the hammer?

Is the cyl pin all the way in the gun?