Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
1706577058213-jpeg.38684
1706579137685.jpeg

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's a late 1960's single six which came with the XR3-RED grip frame. I prefer and changed to the earlier XR3 size on the small frame .22. I added the S&W lanyard swivel which doesn't show that well because it's folded down in the photo.

The muzzle end of the 6 1/2" barrel had severe rust pitting so I bobbed it to 3 1/2" and turned it 90 degrees so the roll mark is on the side like the large frames and so the front sight wouldn't cover the front of the wording.

The front sight is a new model 22 ramp sight that I filed down to regulate it for the short barrel and re-serrated it like originally done from the factory.

The ejector rod housing is steel from a Colt clone because it has the curved rod slot. This allows the rod button to swivel away from the barrel and around the cylinder pin to more fully eject cases, especially the magnum cases.

The hammer is a new model Bisley 22 that I cut the base off of and silver soldered to the base of an old model hammer with its 3 notches.

The trigger is a wide old model super Blackhawk. I removed some of the width of the trigger near the top of the slot in the grip frame so I can install it in the grip frame sideways and turn it 90 degrees. Then simply install the grip frame and trigger on the gun as an assembly. On other projects including installing modified Bisley triggers in an old model, I just enlarged the trigger guard slot.

It's a very handy little field gun.

Last edited:

G2

Hunter
NICE ! Here's a little 200th year I bobbed and bird-headed. 4 inch was short as I could go and keep the roll mark
Where did you source the simple drift front sight?.

I have cobbled the front sight on the OM together and still working on it, still not happy.
The gun is all together now,, (NOT Re-Blued yet. ) and I have been shooting it, I am going to make another attempt at the front sight, I want the bottom legs to protrude a smidge.

Both guns are now 3.6", I started the OM then aquired the NM. The last ~2" of bore in the new model's barrel got rusted severely, the Bisley grip frame had freckled, had the NM Brass Birdshead so decided to make one that can pack six.

51750706756_042af9d6ad_k.jpg

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
Where did you source the simple drift front sight?.
I can't say where that sight was sourced from. I don't have the skills or tools to do this kind of work. I acquired the single six because I have a liking for the 200 year roll mark and wanted an easy packing .22
I commissioned the work from a gunsmith who has built 1 firearm and heavily modified several others for me - Jack Huntington at JRH Gunsmith in Carson City, NV. Jack provided that front sight when he shortened the barrel. I provided him the brass bird head with grip panels from Chig's Grips.

I've posted this here before- '63 with a Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame, modified from strap contour, steel adapter for return spring, Chigs Ironwood panels, stainless ejector rod and base pin, Old Army wide trigger, waiting on a Super style hammer from Ronnie Wells. I was tempted to take the barrel back but with the larger grip frame this length looks right. This thing feels so good in my hand- one of my all time favorites
IMG_8419.jpeg

Latest posts