Ruger old army conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm glad to see Hondo's post. It's good info.

I too was confused about your intentions when I read your posts. It's a simple mis-understanding because of terminology.
There is the "main frame" which is the serial numbered part and houses the cylinder. Then, there is the "grip frame" which attaches to the main frame.

Since you are trying to fit a New Model, grip frame,, to an existing Old Army,, that uses the Old Model trigger return spring assy, it's not a complicated or hard conversion.
Hondo mentions using a spent .22 Rf case to be used as a trigger return spring "socket" that's similar to the Old Army/Old Model ones.
Here's another direction to do the same thing.
You can make an adapter to fit in the New Model trigger spring channel that works very well. I've made several over the years. If you want to go that route, look at the pictures of one here;

View attachment 35725

Now,, not shown (easily,) is the hole drilled into the square end for the return spring to fit into. The angled part is for the contour angle of the hammer strut/spring assy. The small hole is to be used to hold the adapter in place,, via the hole in the grip frame where the pin for the legs of the NM trigger spring would hook. The odd opening in the adapter in the top is just where the drill bit got a little off as it was being drilled.
I have also made several of these and they work great. You can get the bar stock from your local hardware store.
A couple of nickel plated Old Armys
1703180699337.png
1703180623306.png

Last edited:

Hoofnit

Bearcat
I've done this both ways, new frame with the trigger spring adapter (I had to make a spacer for the narrow trigger also) & using a super frame off a 3 screw…much prefer the latter, easier and cleaner. For what it's worth 🤠

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
so how do you make the new model trigger work with the old model trigger return spring? Do you just grind off the spring perch on the NM trigger?

never mind, found it Hondo's post above

If you have an old model/old army grip frame you want to put on your new model SBH, yes you can easily convert it. There's two things you need to do:
1. Drill a hole in the the grip frame for the cylinder latch return spring and plunger to match the hole in your NM SBH grip frame and use your NM spring and plunger.
2. Grind off the little shelf behind your SBH trigger and use the old model/old army trigger return spring and plunger.

Last edited:

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Bought a brass grip frame that worked on either the OM or NM. Worked perfectly on both models, still see them for sale occasionally.
$280.71.jpg

Latest posts