Ruger MKll.......my first !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dregg

Single-Sixer
Went to the LGS to pick up a pistol I had on lay-away and spied this sitting in the showcase. The price was right so I picked it up also. Came as is with 3 mags and it has the bull barrel. What else can you tell me about it ?

I heard the MKll was the one to get.

7sqb.jpg

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
IMNHP, the MKII is the pick of the litter in Ruger 22 pistols. The one you show is the most popular of all MKI and MKII pistols. Not that you asked but it is the least popular with me as I like the tapered barrel pistols, strickly personal taste and opinion, Dregg. You will like this 22 pistol and you can bet the back 40 it'll shoot like a million bucks with dang near any 22LR ammo you stuff in it's magazines.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your unbiased opinion. I admire guys such as yourself for offering your opinion, even if it's against public opinion.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Of all the guns I own the MKII is my favorite , the most fun to shoot and the most accurate .22 pistol I have ever owned.
Mine looks just like yours except with a 10 inch barrel .
I bought mine in the 80's and a pickup truck could not carry the bullets I have shot through it.
It will shoot anything I put in it and still functions flawlessly.
When I bought mine I bought 2 of them thinking I would wear one out. I still have the second one in my safe that has never been fired.
My MKII is by far my favorite gun.

damienph

Bearcat
WIL TERRY said:
IMNHP, the MKII is the pick of the litter in Ruger 22 pistols. The one you show is the most popular of all MKI and MKII pistols. Not that you asked but it is the least popular with me as I like the tapered barrel pistols, strickly personal taste and opinion, Dregg. You will like this 22 pistol and you can bet the back 40 it'll shoot like a million bucks with dang near any 22LR ammo you stuff in it's magazines.
I like them both but prefer the bull barrels. I have yet to find any ammo that my two will not shoot. Now I need to add a MkIII.
Standard
730.jpg

MkII Target
731.jpg

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THE STURM RUGER STANDARD 6" 22 pistol was the first new Ruger I ever bought, back in 1962. A couple of years ago I came acrossed a MKII 6" for sale here on the forum and bought it on the spot. A few days later at the range all the cans were out at about 48 yards or so and I hit 48 in a row, and I'd swear the 49TH shot was good too but it just sorta disappeared. Those wonderful fixed sights were fixed in exactly The right place for me. It also has a great trigger and never bobbles a round until it is filthy dirty from 5M rounds or so. The only Ruger MKII I might like better are my two 4 3/4" pistols. The second of those two went over 20M rounds a few weeks ago in NM. It too shoots like a million bucks.

eveled

Hawkeye
.22 automatics are notorious for being ammo finicky, and needing to be very clean. The MK's are the exact opposite, that really says a lot. You will treasure that gun, and probably end up with several more. Ed

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I bought a MK I target new back in the late 70s. It looks just like the one you have except for the walnut grips. The bull barrel adds weight and stability to the pistol. I can hold mine noticeably steadier than the much lighter SR9c. When I used to shoot at an outdoor range, I would set up spent shotgun shells on the 25 yd berm and use them as targets. Great fun.

Maybe I am not a "connoisseur", but I can't imagine spending the time and money on a trigger upgrade to this weapon. The factory trigger is extremely good. Short, smooth, crisp and light. I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to shoot the standard trigger.

Never done anything to mine in the last 35+ years other than clean it.

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
Nice find! You will enjoy that little shooter.

Bought my MKI standard in the 60's and got a MKII stainless when they first came out. Don't care much for the MKIII because of all the "safety" features.
I guess my fav is the MKI just because of the look. As stated before, both are extremely accurate and will shoot anything fed to them.

Have fun!