Ruger MKIII rear sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ssolis

Bearcat
I am new to this website and have a couple questions that have been bugging me.

I recently purchased a brand new Ruger MKIII Hunter pistol. I fired the handgun for the first time this past weekend and noticed that the rear sight appears slightly canted to the right (the rear sight is slightly tilted to the right on the barrel. I didn't notice this when I purchased the gun.

At the range I shot a good grouping of two to three inches, however all my shots were slightly to the left and upward of center mass. This could be a jerking problem involving trigger control.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to fix the canted rear sight?
2. Will a canted rear sight affect my sight picture causing me to shoot slightly off of center mass?

Please let me know your suggestions.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Without seeing your Ruger my first impression is that you should definitely call the Factory and ask. I'd certainly think they'd mail you a "freight paid" box so you can return the MKIII to Prescott.

JMHO,

flatgate

I'd take it back to the store you bought it from first and show it to them and ask what they think.

a picture would help. not sure if canted means just slid over or if the top of the sight is not level with the receiver. It could possibly just not be installed right and taking it off and putting it back on might solve the problem.

posting pictures here is not that difficult, but it does have a learning curve... if you email me a picture I could post it here for you.

ssolis

Bearcat
I have since taken the gun into the shop where it was looked at by a gunsmith. The gunsmith used a caliper and determined that the dovetail and underside were uneven by a couple thousandth of an inch which was causing the rear sight to tilt slightly to the right on the barrel. He suggested I send it back to Ruger to have them fix it.

I contacted Ruger. They were extremely nice and will fix it free of charge for me with no shipping costs on my part. They said I should have my gun back within 2-3 weeks.

My only concern with sending it back to Ruger is that they can fix it without having to replace the barrel. If they have to replace the barrel, I think I would have to pay a new DROS fee as the barrel would have a new serial number. But I guess to have piece of mind is worth the $25.00.

Actually I think, and I'm sure someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they can replace the whole gun and give you the same serial number that was on the old one... even if they have to send you a new gun with new serial number they should have to foot the paper work fee.

DocGlock

Bearcat
This got my curiousity built up, so I just went to checkout my MKIII and the only place I found the serial number was on the barrel. Usually it's the serialized frame that is the actual gun, but I guess this is the exception.

contender

Ruger Guru
DocGlock,,, look again at your MKIII. The serial number will be on the reciever,,, just ahead of the ejection port. Then there is a little step down where the actual barrel starts. It just APPEARS that it's all barrel there.