Ruger LC9 Takedown and First range Experience

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rrockefe

Bearcat
I bought an LC9 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Phoenix on Wed. ($360) I was going to clean it up before taking it to the range on Fri. When I attempted to push the takedown pin out with the Ruger key as instructed, it would not move. I even tapped it a few times with my little hammer. Realizing there was something wrong, I called Ruger. A very helpful rep. told me I needed to pull the slide back slightly in order to allow the pin to push out. When I told him it seemed that should be included in the instructions, he was surprised it was not and looked it up in the manual. Then he said it should be and would discuss it with his manager. Later, when I reviewed the reassembly instructions, I was told to pull the slide slightly rearward to allow the pin to clear the slide. So, just be aware.

I found this pistol to be quite snappy to fire using 115 gr. WWB ammo. After about 50 or 60 rounds, I was ready to switch over to my M&P 9 for the rest of the session. The trigger pull is long as described by others and this one stacks at the end with an almost complete stop before then increasing considerably in pressure with some roughness just prior to release. Definitely requires practice to become proficient and accurate, although my groups at 5 yards were acceptable to me (mostly 2-3 ") depending on my degree of concentration. There were no malfunctions at all and shot placement seemed to be very close to POA=POI. Will try it at 10 yards next trip.

I have continued to dry fire at home using an A-zoom cap in the hopes the roughness will smooth out. Plus I plan to shoot at least 50 rounds during my weekly range sessions.

I bought the pistol for pocket carry after contemplating the S&W 642 for a long time. I preferred the 9mm caliber because of my use in the M&P 9. I like the idea of just reloading one caliber for range practice. I will carry mfg'd. ammo, however.

Overall, satisfied to this point. Hope the trigger improves, though.

GKC

Blackhawk
Thanks for the report. I had seen that suggestion about taking some tension off the slide in order to disassemble in a YouTube video...to be honest, I haven't read my owner's manual. :oops:

The LC9 isn't a range gun...I wouldn't want to put a lot of rounds through one at one sitting either. That's the compromise we make for a small, carry pistol...lighter weight and a compact frame usually equates to more felt recoil than the same caliber, larger and heavier pistol. (That's really profound, isn't it? :lol: ) The small J-frames like the 642 aren't all day shooters either.

Jer75

Bearcat
I can't locate my manual, but there's a little half-moon cutout in the slide that has to be lined up for the pin to come out. (Once the pin cover latch thing is pushed down)

It's not unlike most guns in that regard.

When I lower the cover and line up the pin (move slide back appx 3/8") with the cutout, my pin falls out when I turn the gun over.

I've also never thought it to be snappy with 115gr range ammo.

I've got 775 rounds through mine now and it's been perfect. As far as the trigger goes, mine is long but smooth. I did learn not to walk out my back door for a little range time with the LC9 and the SR9c at the same time though (That SR9c will spoil ya!)

cahillc134

Bearcat
not trying to be a smart ass, but just looking at the gun I figured out that the pin wouldn't come out unless I pulled the slide back slightly.

Boge

Single-Sixer
rrockefe said:
...Hope the trigger improves, though.

It won't much because it has the ignorant CA mag discconnect safety and what you are feeling is it dragging internally.

Dan Frontier

Bearcat
Boge said:
rrockefe said:

It won't much because it has the ignorant CA mag discconnect safety and what you are feeling is it dragging internally.

I like the concept of a mag disconnect safety, but I hate the long trigger pull. It makes it very difficult for me to shoot accurately. I always shoot low. I've shot 400+ rounds through it with no malfunctions, FTF, or FTE's, but as far as accuracy goes, I struggle learning to use the long trigger accurately.

Has anyone heard of any ways to improve the trigger?

Darkwolf

Bearcat
Boge said:
rrockefe said:

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you on that. My mother bought one and the trigger smoothed and lost its stack with the first box of ammo. It still isn't a target gun, but I am sure I could put more rounds down range faster and more accurately with it than my LCP.

Ruger11

Bearcat
I went to clean my LC9 for the first time before shooting and I couldn't get my takedown plate to move. Being cautious, I contacted Ruger. Ruger told me to use a small hammer and punch; I used a wooden dow rod and it went down. Problem solved? No. The takedown plate was loose and flopped up and down.

I shot 80 rounds through it the first time, using two different magazines, and the slide locked back four times with rounds in the magazine. I like how it shot for a small carry weapon, but the takedown plate issue and slide lock issue worried me.

I sent my LC9 back to ruger; they replaced the takedown plate, firing pin and the firing pin spring. I just got it back and I wanted to take it apart to clean it before shooting. With a lot of force I was able to push down the takedown plate; however, now it just flops around again. Also, it doesn't seem to go all the way down without more force. I hope to put some rounds through it this weekend.

Can the forum please provide feedback on their experiences with the takedown plate?

I love my SR9c ... just a little too heavy/big to carry.

GKC

Blackhawk
Hmmm...the takedown plate on my LC9 isn't loose by any means, but neither is it so tight that I have to use anything to push it down. I just use a finger, and believe me, I'm no Charles Atlas (some of you young whipper-snappers may not know who that is.)

The trigger pull on mine is long but smooth, with no stacking or roughness.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Try running some 147gr. standard velocity bullets through your LC9. I find they shoot point of aim, and I can shoot them all day long. I love the gun and can't shoot enough of it.

My carry load is Federal HST 147 Gr.HP.

doc540

Single-Sixer
love the revolver-like trigger

first mag down the pipe
TargetLC9-1.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I shot my LC9 for the first time today. No issues,no feed or FTF issues at all. Very accurate IMHO. I like it!!

Oh, Did I say I liked it?? :wink:

FREEMAN

Bearcat
Had some difficulty with the takedown button first time. Used a piece of wooden dowell rod to get it down. A little easier the second time. Read a few other forum entries on this problem. Should get better with use.

Latest posts