Ruger display

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWend54

Single-Sixer
I put together a Ruger display for this weekends Tyler Texas gun show. Just for the fun of it, mostly odds and ends on the early rare side. I found people here, for the most part, don't understand the reason as to why I would only display guns. I got asked constantly "why"? Met some good people.
Just a small time display compared to you serious collectors but it was fun and a learning experience.
Serial number 29 Standard auto; like new consecutive flatgate's; like new consecutive 3 digit 357 flat tops; 10 inch 44 & 357; 2 digit Hawkeye in box; Flat top 44 & 357 with matching serial numbers; lightweights; New in the box 357 flattop; three digit number one and Redlabel.

Attachments

• IMG_6305.jpeg
    IMG_6305.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 201
I put together a Ruger display for this weekends Tyler Texas gun show. Just for the fun of it, mostly odds and ends on the early rare side. I found people here, for the most part, don't understand the reason as to why I would only display guns. I got asked constantly "why"? Met some good people.
Just a small time display compared to you serious collectors but it was fun and a learning experience.
Serial number 29 Standard auto; like new consecutive flatgate's; like new consecutive 3 digit 357 flat tops; 10 inch 44 & 357; 2 digit Hawkeye in box; Flat top 44 & 357 with matching serial numbers; lightweights; New in the box 357 flattop; three digit number one and Redlabel.
You are right. Many don't get why we put on display shows and why we display our collections just for the satisfaction of showing and educating.

I've found so many times, in spite of signs and even rope barricades, folks will reach into our displays, pick up a gun, and grumble there is no price.

Even on this forum, it's becoming less of a collectors site, and more of a social site, and folks are not interested in the collectors aspect of owning guns.

But, thanks for your fine display.

WAYNO.(y)

Last edited:
KWend54, those are some very nice guns.

I and many others that display with ROCS display our Rugers not to just have someone walk by, look for a bit and say "those are some pretty nice guns". I set up my display to have someone walk by, look at it AND look at the title of the display and then stop and start asking questions. That is what our purpose is - to educate people about the guns being shown, their history, and the history of Sturm, Ruger & Co.

This is what I displayed at Tulsa this year. On the left is the discription of the DA boxes and their timeline of use. In the center (Baby Yoda is guarding it :) ) is a pristine 1956 Type 1 4 5/8" Flat Top Blackhawk .357 Mag with the LOA and other background info.
IMG_4784.jpg

I had a lot of people stop to ask about the EVOLUTION of Rugers Blackhawks and the Security Sixes and GP-100's. This is what we want, people to ask about our Rugers.

eveled

Hawkeye
Very nice display.

Do you guys have to pay the full amount for the table as those who are selling?

I guess the obvious answer is yes, but I'm hoping its no.

That is a class display, thanks for sharing.

Star43

Blackhawk
What
You are right. Many don't get why we put on display shows and why we display our collections just for the satisfaction of showing and educating.

I've found so many times, in spite of signs and even rope barricades, folks will reach into our displays, pick up a gun, and grumble there is no price.
What I have is small and humbling compared to these displays here. But to me personally, and hopefully maybe a lot of guys out there may feel as I do that even thought I can't afford any type of collection like that, I do enjoy looking at them for sure. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to (got to work on that), but love to look at what I do have and be happy I have it. When I can see a display like these, it harkens back to days when I was younger, when things, to me anyway, were made a bit better and stood the test of time. To me, I think a lot of the guys who joined this Ruger forum in the first place, was yes to discuss their Rugers and share their be thoughts or problems, or just being happy talking about their Ruger guns. That is why I joined. But that's me. 🙂

Star43, you don't have to have a large number of guns to do a display. Many ROCS folks only show 1 or 2 guns and have a lot of the background info for the "viewers" to see and read. That leads them to start asking questions which all of the displayers are glad to answer or find an answer for them. At a show we (the displayers) know who the resident experts are on certain Ruger models. I have had displays of only double action Rugers and people would ask me about single actions. Well, I'm still learning about those myself but I know who has which display that I can direct them to if I can't answer their questions. Then I take them to that display and listen to the answer to also further my single action Ruger knowledge.

We tell Ruger owners, "One gun or 20 guns, display it/them, talk to the people looking at them, educate them about Rugers and you will find out that doing this is so much fun and enlighting." We have a blast at these shows (and gifts are normally given to all displayers and then there are prizes for the best displays in the different displayer classes.

My wife is going to do her first display when we go the the show at Huntsville, AL in January 2024. It is only goimg to have her 2 Rugers, a Purple SR22 and a Black Cherry Wrangler. She will discribe how she went from not liking/owning guns to being a full fledged gun owner and ROCS member.

Very nice display.

Do you guys have to pay the full amount for the table as those who are selling?

I guess the obvious answer is yes, but I'm hoping its no.
It depends on the show promoter. At Tulsa we get a 50% discount, at Huntsville, IIRC it's at least a 60% discount, at OGCA I don't remember. However, with what we get from ROCS (and some of the promoters) it more than makes up for the up front charge. And I don't know if I said this before ;) ;) we have a GREAT time at these shows, interacting with the people who come to the shows, the show promoters and between each other (look who is guarding my Type 1 Blackhawk - my wife made that for me so I couldn't not include him - and people notice him and ask about him)

Star43

Blackhawk
Star43, you don't have to have a large number of guns to do a display. Many ROCS folks only show 1 or 2 guns and have a lot of the background info for the "viewers" to see and read. That leads them to start asking questions which all of the displayers are glad to answer or find an answer for them. At a show we (the displayers) know who the resident experts are on certain Ruger models. I have had displays of only double action Rugers and people would ask me about single actions. Well, I'm still learning about those myself but I know who has which display that I can direct them to if I can't answer their questions. Then I take them to that display and listen to the answer to also further my single action Ruger knowledge.

We tell Ruger owners, "One gun or 20 guns, display it/them, talk to the people looking at them, educate them about Rugers and you will find out that doing this is so much fun and enlighting." We have a blast at these shows (and gifts are normally given to all displayers and then there are prizes for the best displays in the different displayer classes.

My wife is going to do her first display when we go the the show at Huntsville, AL in January 2024. It is only goimg to have her 2 Rugers, a Purple SR22 and a Black Cherry Wrangler. She will discribe how she went from not liking/owning guns to being a full fledged gun owner and ROCS member.
Thanks for the information. I'm glad you and your wife are having a good time doing this. It's some- thing to think about.

I love the people who will ignore the stanchions and ropes. They reach over or try to go behind them to touch the displayed guns. I have chased people away from displays and in one case had to grab a gun back from some low IQ dingleberry. I saw one idiot do a cylinder spin and wrist flip on a double action revolver to close the cylinder. The level of stupidity of some people truly amazes me...

Star43

Blackhawk
I love the people who will ignore the stanchions and ropes. They reach over or try to go behind them to touch the displayed guns. I have chased people away from displays and in one case had to grab a gun back from some low IQ dingleberry. I saw one idiot do a cylinder spin and wrist flip on a double action revolver to close the cylinder. The level of stupidity of some people truly amazes me...
As far as living beings are concerned, a good part of the time, the 4 legged variety are a lot much smarter than the 2 legged variety. Just an observation I have incurred over the years.

Latest posts