ruger blackhawk in 5.56 armalite ctg.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob L

Bearcat
Guys, I snail mailed the photos last tues. It takes a while for USPS to go from LA (lower alabama) to calif. I am sure Terry will post them when they arrive. thanks, Bob

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Guns & Ammo, Guns, & Gun World are the only rags I can think of from this time frame that might have ran an article on such a gun.

Terry T

Buckeye
Sorry for the delay - some internet problems at this end. :oops:

I have scanned the hard copy photos and uploaded to post below:

I'm having some difficulty loading a photo taken of the bottom of the gun.

Bob added some comments about the markings:

On the right side under the cylinder: Southport, Connecticut, U.S.A.

Right side of the Barrel: 5.56 Armalite Ctg

Left side under the front 1/2 of the cylinder: Blackhawk

Left side above the rear of the trigger guard: the Ruger emblem.

Left side of the barrel: Sturm Ruger & Co. Inc.

Bottom of the grip is ser. no. 774433

Gun is double action!

I'll add my $0.02 worth after viewing the photos. It looks to me like a gun smithing student's final project. Such a project would involve all the nessicairy skills to show attainment of a master craftsman.
Terry T

damienph

Bearcat
I am a big fan of Ruger Single Actions but that is one DA that I could get used to. I could even live with the gold. So is the 5.56 Armalite the same as 5.56 NATO?

Bob L

Bearcat
According to the mag. article the gun smith had a pal who was in mgmt. at armalite. He did the conversion so his pal could shoot same ammo in both pistol and ar15. the very faint markings are due to a rebluing at a later date. also the grips were originaly wood and the hammer and trigger were not gold plated. When I shot the pistol the trigger guadr was no problem, in fact recoil was less than 44 mag. Yes 5.56 is 223

mustang99

Single-Sixer
That does not look like a gun. It looks like a nicely painted model. There are no cross pins. There are no lines between the grip frame and the cylinder frame. The rear sight is a singular piece that runs continuously the length of the gun all the way to front sight. The grip screw only goes through one side of the grips.

To me it looks like an SLA (an SLA is a form of rapid prototyping used by many companies) that has been sanded, filled and painted. You can buy them that way or do it yourself. The hammer and trigger have the same surface finish as the rest of the gun. Usually a plated hammer and trigger would be polished and plated being much more "glossy" and smooth. The edges of the whole "gun" are equally rounded and every part has the exact same color without a single scratch anywhere.

I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just typing what my eyes are telling me. I would love to see this gun photographed with the cylinder open or better yet being shot.

Bob L

Bearcat
Mustang 99, Please have your eyes examined. It is a gun. 1. the only cross pin I can see is the release pin to remove the cylinder. 2. there are no lines between the grip frame and the cylinder frame because they are under the grips, approx 1/2" from the front edge of the grips on the l. side and approx 1/4" on the r. side. 3. you are correct in the photo from above you can see the 2 screws holding the raised rib that has both front and rearsights. 4. correct there is 1 grip screw it ssrews into the r. grip. 5. the hammer and trigger are very glossy as is the bluing. I stated above that it has been reblued and regripped. the owner prior to me had very poor taste.6. there are no scratches on this gun, a very faint line around the rear of the cylinder.7.this is a blackhawk. the cylinder does not open it is loaded through the loading gate like a colt S.A. 8. if you bothered to read above you would see my problems with posting. when you can arrainge to be in LA during the week I will be happy to take you to our local range and let you shoot it. I don't do the range on weekends. Bob L

Bob L

Bearcat
I would like to take this opportunity to give a public THANK YOU to TERRY T for being so kind as to accept my snail mailed photos and post them so all that were wanting them could have the opportunity to see them. again TERRY T thank you. Bob L

Looks real enough to me. Has features common to the single-action varieties along with certain double-action features . . . looks sorta like an amalgamation of a Blackhawk and perhaps a Security Six.

Personally, I think it was rather in poor taste to include the Ruger markings and nomenclature on this custom piece (tacky, indeed), but that in no way detracts from the ingenuity and workmanship displayed. What a piece of gunsmithing art!

I would desperately love to fondle and shoot it, but LA is rather out of my "day trip" range.

Thanks for the pics and information.

:) :) :)

mustang99

Single-Sixer
Bob, the rear sight is the problem I can't get past. I has no front pivot pin and is a solid piece. So is the screw just there to hold the big rib on the frame and it has no elevation adjustment? Also, does the grip screw just screw into the grip panel but not all the way through it? That is odd. Normally blueing doesn't make the rollmarking disappear. I'm highly skeptical by nature, sorry. I certainly understand your position with the photos, I have family in the same boat. And I HAVE read this entire thread with great interest. I guess I'm just a guy who says what he thinks. Sometimes I'm wrong, in this case I hope I am.

gramps

Hawkeye
A very interesting gun. Thanks for sharing Bob. By the way a little time with a knife would remove that gold. :mrgreen:
gramps

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Sorry, I have to agree with Mustang99. There is not one thing on that gun that looks like any Ruger revolver previous or since. The front sight, ejector rod housing, ejector rod head, loading gate, trigger, grip frame, hammer, sight, grip, cylinder pin, etc. etc., etc. Not one.
Any Ruger revolver from any era, single action or double, has easily distinguishable and recognizeable characteristics that can be seen at first glance. They may be slightly different, but you can SEE the family resemblance. The more I look at the pics, the more I'm certain there is not 1 Ruger part anywhere on this gun. Looks like somebody made their own rollmark stamps and had at it on their own creation. Not a Blackhawk.

Latest posts