Ruger Bearcat reviews?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
My first Ruger was a Single-Six long barrel back in the day. It was carbon. It liked Federals. On my days off, child care job, I worked on the horse ranch of a very good friend. We would go through a couple of bricks with ease. One day in the door way of the Arizona Bank downtown Tucson I was suddenly and harshly stopped by two burly guards. They said "You cannot come in here with that sir" pointing to my Lawrence shoulder holster. I said "Oh yes officers your right. I am very sorry". I put the gun in the truck. The usual four guards were now five or six and one stood very close to me all the time I was in the building.
When I was in the Army I had habitually worn a firearm. I had only been out for a few months when this incident occurred.
I think the Federal has a larger Ojive than other .22lr ammo. Certainly .22Magnum ammunition is made differently than .22lr. There is little wonder it would shoot better in a larger diameter bore. You are on your way. k Calthrop

Bkat

Blackhawk
Doc,

These are all good observations on both the OM and NM Bearcats, except in my case I've never had a serious accuracy issue with any of mine.

Check out gunblast.com and their archives for a couple of good articles on the Bearcat.

Bkat

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Greetings, All,

Well, today, I got to handle two different Bearcat revolvers, in two different gun stores!! First, I found a blued one, brand new, and I must admit, when I handled it, I was a bit disappointed!! It felt clunky in my hands, and the fit and finish were not very good. The price was $500, plus tax, and fees. It just didn't feel right in my hands, and also felt much heavier than it should have. My old heart sank, in disappointment, and I was thinking I had made a mistake in wanting one of those little shooters.

Then, much closer to my home, I found another Bearcat, this one in stainless steel. I decided to ask to check it out, even though I had already pretty much decided to pass on getting such a gun. And, I'm REALLY glad I did, too!! First of all, the fit and finish were really outstanding, in all respects, and the little gun was really quite a beauty!! Second, and I know this can't be true: The stainless model felt lighter in my hands, balanced better, and seemed to fit me much better!!! Both blues and stainless pistols should have been 24 ounces in weight, from what I've read, but the stainless gun was a much nicer gun, and since it felt better, to me, I'm once again interested in getting one, and maybe that very same revolver. The price was $489.99 (Don't you just hate prices like that!! IT'S $490!! MIGHT AS WELL ADMIT IT!! :roll: :? :lol: :lol: ) + tax, + $25 for a CA Gun Owners card and test, + $30 for the DOJ background check and paperwork. We have a ten day wait out here on the Left Coast, so no matter what I decide, I won't be able to pick up this little gem for a while, yet.

Bud's Guns, in Florida, will send a stainless Bearcat, brand new, to my FFL for $414, including shipping. But, depending on what my FFL guy will charge to do the deal, I might be better off just buying the one down the mountain, and calling it good. What do you all think? Anybody else ever think that the fit and finish of these little shooters could vary so much between two such guns? How about the difference in balance and such between blues and stainless? I can't see, for the life of me, how that could make a single difference, in truth. But, it certainly seemed to be that way today. Who knows??? Talk to you all soon, and MANY thanks to everyone who jumped in to this thread and offered encouragement, information, opinions, and experiences with these little Bearcat revolvers!!! MUCH appreciated, Gentlemen!!! I'll let you all know what I decided, probably in the next several days, to a week. Take care, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Doc,

the stainless models have aluminum ejector rod housings, while the blued come with steel ejector rod housings. While the actual difference in weight is minimal, that weight is hanging out in front on the barrel...........which is probably why you were able to notice a difference in balance.

~c.r.

Cholo

Staff member
I have a blue NM Bearcat from the mid 90's that has an aluminum ejector rod housing.

Doc, believe it or not, changes in color between stainless and blue can have an affect on how you view and feel things. Last weekend I saw 2 6" Colt Diamondbacks, one blue and the other a light colored electroless nickel. Even close to each other the lighter colored one seemed down right petite compared to the blue one. It wasn't, but could I then perceive that the electroless nickel one was a bit lighter. Something to to with the brain, or lack thereof... :wink:

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
I have a blue NM Bearcat from the mid 90's that has an aluminum ejector rod housing.

i should have typed:

"while the currently cataloged blued bearcats come with steel ejector rod housings"

c.r.

Single-Sixer
well crap, i can't get anything right tonight.

don't know why i had my mind set that the blued had steel ERH's, but I believe you're correct.

Like most single actions, Bearcats need breaking in to function smoothly. When I got my stainless New Bearcat, it hung up regularly: wouldn't cock smoothly.

Before getting mad and sending it back to Ruger, I took it back to the shop that sold it to me. The owner asked me if I'd broken it in. I said "what do you mean; I can't even cock it half the time!".

He gently explained that the timing needed to wear in a little and that if I sat watching TV and cocked it, then released the hammer without snapping it (let it down gently with my thumb) a bunch of times it would get smoother and smoother until it was like butter. He said to try to do it 500 times,"even if you feel and look like an idiot".

He was right. It got smoother and smoother until it was/is like butter. My wife thought I looked like an idiot. What else is new?

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Evening, Mike, and All,

Yep, I'm hip to the workings of stainless steel firearms, and have use that same technique to work and smooth the actions of more than a few of mine. It DOES work, too, which is pretty cool, actually! Mike, where did you buy your Bearcat, and if I may ask, how much did you pay for it? I like to buy locally, if I can. But, these days, price has got to be good, too, or it's either order it in, or not buy it at all. In any case, I'm looking forward to getting mine, and hope it's not too far down the road. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

InjunBro

Bearcat
Sugar River said:
Warning! Do NOT get a Bearcat.
You might be tempted to do this with them.............

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Clements SS 22 and Harton blue 32 mag.
Pete
Those are very nice! Where did the sights come from? Are those custom cylinders or modified factory?

Major T

Blackhawk
Mine is blue. I am ashamed to tell this, but I have fired it exactly one time. Bought it at a gun show a while back from another old fart who was trying to get an exhorbent price of $200 in trade for it-like new in the box. I gave him 200 cash, retail was not quite twice that at the time. Horrible trigger. Took it apart and fixed the problems. Before Dad passed away, he wanted to tour the farm one day when I went to see about him. A jackrabbit ran across a turning row and stopped just across a terrace on my side of the truck. All that was visible on the rabbit was his head and ears at about 40 yds. Switched off the engine, shot, dead rabbit! Started up and drove on. After a bit dad had some comment about my shooting which was not exactly praise. I commented that I hit where I aimed. Honestly, I had no idea where the little revolver printed that ammo. Luckily it was dead on. (Rem Yellowjackets) Best to all, Jack

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Good Evening, Calthrop, and All,

Most of you probably already know, as I've posted this over in the rimfire section, but today, I finally got to pick up my new stainless steel Bearcat revolver!! It's the same one that felt good to me when I first picked it up, before Christmas! I've posted some photos in the rimfire section, if you want to check them out. Thanks, very much, to one and all for your comments, suggestions, and enthusiasm for my desire to find and buy a proper Bearcat! I love mine already, and I've not yet fired even one shot out of it!! Calthrop, I bought "lots" of ammo today, of different types, and have some other stuff here at home. So, I hope to find out what the little 'Cat likes, and that will be it's steady diet. At this very moment, my new Bearcat is snugly tucked into my waistband as I type this, and I swear it's purring like a contented kitten!!! OK, well, maybe it's ME that's purring like a contented kitten!! :wink: 8) :lol: :lol: Thanks, again, Gentlemen, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who's a Happy Camper tonight!)

P.S. I've already talked to Eric about getting one of those stainless steel ejector rod housings, and might consider a Belt Mtn. #5 cylinder pin, too!

VonFatman

Blackhawk
You know, I am pretty new to Bearcats. Bought my first one a year or so back. I have large mitts but they fit me like a glove. I now have two (aluminum frame guns) and one Super Bearcat. All have the old lock-work and I absolutley love shooting them.

Of course, I also like shooting S&W Regulation Police revolvers. Small frame revolvers appeal to me and they are also fun for young shooters or ladies (or gents) with small hands!

Enjoy!!!

I would recommend one of the guns with the original lock-work....but that's me.

Bob

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure if you have seen these articles from Gun Blast but they are worth the read:

http://www.gunblast.com/Bearcat.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Murbach-Bearcat.htm

The only thing I have to say about mine is>>> I is soooo much fun!! Get one and enjoy! :D

willyd

Bearcat
As a result of this forum . my next purchase will be a stainless Bearcat. I like 22s and have a Single 6, S&W 63, 617 and 317, in addition to my ccw of S&W 642/crimson and Sig 238. I guess I like guns.

A

Anonymous

Is Doc Mark still here? And how did his life with Bearcat turn out? Reading this thread was almost like reading a love letter, but it had an abrupt ending, I'd like to know how the "movie" ended.

For anyone finding this later in "Search" like I did, my review:

I've had my two stainless Bearcats nearly four months, and I think they will stay my favorite guns. And the EWK ejector rod housings are great.

jwh

Bearcat
bearcatter said:
Is Doc Mark still here? And how did his life with Bearcat turn out? Reading this thread was almost like reading a love letter, but it had an abrupt ending, I'd like to know how the "movie" ended.

I just found this thread today and was wondering as well. I have a Blued Bearcat and a Ruger holster for it due in today or tomorrow. Like a kid at Christmas.

James

Latest posts