Ruger Bearcat missing part of the roll marking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nrobe50

Buckeye
interesting barrel marking on a 21xxx serial number Bearcat. Jerry from ND, you should have bid again.

careful micrometer ( or better yet use calipers) and measure the barrel diameter, just behind the front sight and compare that to the barrel at the shoulder ( where it goes into the frame)''one of two things, it was polished out, or a "mis-stamping" (rollmark) broken die????? hard to tell by the picture ,but almost looks like there is a step in the barrel..............but it IS a deep rollmark and usually when polished out the rest of the rollmark is thinned or "tapered"...light at the polished end ,then deeper as it goes back.
Tricks of the trade of hand prep for restoration....................the measurements will tell you instantly.

nrobe50

Buckeye
i didn't think to measure it but it looks legit to me. looks like it could be a broken die.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
You can see a hint of each letter before the ones that are there I think it may have been polished. Just my guess though.

collectormzornes said:
You can see a hint of each letter before the ones that are there I think it may have been polished. Just my guess though.
I just checked a Single Six, that I have removed the 'billboard' from the barrel, and found that there is a two thousands difference between where it was polished and right in front of the frame.

yessir, hard to spot with the naked eye, IF it was done correctly and properly "blended" in, a GOOD file man and some emery,garnet paper, you can make the lettering about spell out anything you want,,,,but yes, the roll die could have malfunctioned, broke, skipped, whatever.....you' d think ( or LIKE to think) that QC would pick up on things like that BUT hey if it was late Friday afternoon.......bad day at the shop , or pi$$ed off at the foreman,,,,who knows..if ONLY the gun could talk ( speak) not just "bark" 8) :roll: :wink:

nrobe50

Buckeye
it belongs to a fellow ruger collector a few miles away.. He is going to bring it over and i will take some measurements and post the info. I have looked at a lot of Rugers over the years and it looks all factory to me.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yeah, probably polished.
My initial thought was that the angle of the rollmark being applied was set up wrong on the machine, since tapered barrels or other surfaces have to have a correct angle to them before being applied...unless of course the piece being rollmarked is jigged to set flat up to start with.
But what is remaining of this rollmark, the depth of the marking looks pretty much the same from front to end.
The gun probably had a case of pitting on that side of the barrel.
Chet15