Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .204 Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Guessing this is a pretty recent development? I own several RARs and don't remember seeing .204 as an option:

1686009553888.png

Really wish they would offer one in 6.8 SPC - maybe after they get the 400 Legend out, and catch up with demand for that caliber (the 6.8 SPC would use the same bolt as the 400, as would the .224 Valkyrie).

:)

I'd likely buy a 6.8. I've been considering whether 6.5 Grendel is worth the price but I already know the 6.8 is a solid performer. Screw a muffler on the front and it's a perfect deer harvesting tool.

The 6.8 SPC was reportedly designed for carbines (shorter barrels), and there are also AR15 (or Mini-14) mags designed for it, so it would be a perfect fit for the Ruger American Ranch rifle. Ruger will no doubt be making RAR bolts for the 400 Legend, so they could just extend that production run to cover a batch of 6.8 SPCs (& even .224 Valkyries). And with the military using a new 6.8mm cartridge, I'm guessing there might be renewed interest in 6.8mm/.277 commercial rounds.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

We have 3 AR 6.8's (2 16" carbines and a 11" pistol) and use them for deer hunting. The pistol w/suppressor gets the most use and has put 12-15 deer on the pole. Soon after seeing it's benefit, I was able to score a case of 'white box' (military test run) ammo using a 90 grain bonded soft point. This is a good choice for the 11" barrel allowing a decent velocity while giving medium game penetration.
In a 16" bolt action, this cartridge would be a winner especially when suppressed. Not what I'd call 'amazing accuracy' but keep in mind, it's a 250 yard hunting round.

...In a 16" bolt action, this cartridge would be a winner especially when suppressed. Not what I'd call 'amazing accuracy' but keep in mind, it's a 250 yard hunting round.

Finding a bolt action in 6.8 SPC has been difficult, to say the least. I think Remington produced a few, but on the rare ocassions when one of those turns up on GunBroker, they've been getting bid up over $1000 (which might possibly indicate some unsupplied demand). I've seen a few custom rifles, primarily based on Savage receivers, but even those go for very high prices.

Given the above, I think a run of RARs in 6.8 SPC would sell like hotcakes! I would prefer one with an AR15 magwell, but I would even buy one with a Ruger Mini magwell (if Ruger has a warehouse full of 6.8 Mini-14 mags they need to get rid of). In theory, Ruger could even go with a new mag well, designed to use LWRC Six8 mags (that won't fit a standard AR15 lower, but allow for seating bullets out, to a longer COAL).

For me at least, just being able to buy an American Ranch rifle with an AR magwell in 400 Legend is a possible (but more expensive) fallback option; I'm guessing it would likely be pretty simple to rebarrel one to 6.8 SPC.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

Latest posts