Ruger American Pistol 9mm Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
WAYNO said:
Here's my take on this latest offering...

First, I don't have much interest in plastic, disposable guns, regardless of brand. That said, I do carry one, often. Nice to have a gun that I expect will always work, but not a gun that I will ever have to worry about. If it accidentally touches the ground or slides around on the the floor of a vehicle, no big deal. I have owned quite an assortment of said plastic guns.

My most recent was the Ruger American Pistol, the full size version. It fits me better than any other of the plastic guns. But it's a big gun. So other than shooting it at the range, twice, it's not a gun that I will ever carry. The same gun in a diminished size does interest me, so I'll likely buy one of the new Compact American Pistols. I also suspect others are not enamored with the full size American. I've had mine for sale on a local board since May, for $340, and I've not received a sniff.

WAYNO.

Have you sold it yet? If not I would be interested.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I wonder if Ruger is hoping to get some police and/or foreign military contracts with the RAP? It is bigger than most people want for a CCW gun, even compared to other double stack autos. If those contracts are not forthcoming then the RAP will almost certainly be replaced with yet another latest and greatest pistol at some point.

modrifle3 said:
WAYNO said:

First, I don't have much interest in plastic, disposable guns, regardless of brand. That said, I do carry one, often. Nice to have a gun that I expect will always work, but not a gun that I will ever have to worry about. If it accidentally touches the ground or slides around on the the floor of a vehicle, no big deal. I have owned quite an assortment of said plastic guns.

My most recent was the Ruger American Pistol, the full size version. It fits me better than any other of the plastic guns. But it's a big gun. So other than shooting it at the range, twice, it's not a gun that I will ever carry. The same gun in a diminished size does interest me, so I'll likely buy one of the new Compact American Pistols. I also suspect others are not enamored with the full size American. I've had mine for sale on a local board since May, for $340, and I've not received a sniff.

WAYNO.

Yep, it finally sold for $300. This was a very difficult gun to sell.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
I think a lot of that is a combination of (1) if it's not a Glock, people often don't want it, (2) it's got a bad rap on youtube because of one or two negative opinions about the ergonomics (ie, M.A.C.), and (3) full-sized Rugers have never really set the world on fire as far as sales numbers go.

tacticalreload said:
I think a lot of that is a combination of (1) if it's not a Glock, people often don't want it, (2) it's got a bad rap on youtube because of one or two negative opinions about the ergonomics (ie, M.A.C.), and (3) full-sized Rugers have never really set the world on fire as far as sales numbers go.

Actually, I don't see either size as being red hot. The full size model that I owned, and the compact model that I own now, are still the only two American Pistols I've seen anywhere. And both of mine were mail ordered from back east.

Maybe once the inventories of SR9 and SR40's are diminished in stores, that could cause the stores to attempt marketing of the American.

I'm glad I'm not in charge designing new guns that the fickle public really wants.

WAYNO.

modrifle3

Buckeye
WAYNO said:
modrifle3 said:
WAYNO said:

WAYNO.

Yep, it finally sold for $300. This was a very difficult gun to sell.

I would have been all over it at $300.

EQUILIZER

Bearcat
Captain America said:
This may just be the gun that causes me to finally add 9mm to the calibers in my safe...shhhh, don't let my wife know :mrgreen:

I'm telling, just kiddin I wouldn't tell in a million years.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
Based on the specs on Ruger's website, the SR9c might be lighter... but it's also longer (despite having a shorter barrel), taller, and wider. Plus the RAP9c holds 20% more ammo in the mag. The SR9c also has a mandatory manual safety, huge loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect safety, a grip that's not as adaptable for size, a plastic trigger, a plastic guide rod, a hole in the slide cover plate to let dirt and lint enter the striker channel, and a significantly more complicated field-stripping procedure that also requires pulling the trigger.

We can play this game all day if you want. ;-)

tacticalreload said:
Based on the specs on Ruger's website, the SR9c might be lighter... but it's also longer (despite having a shorter barrel), taller, and wider. Plus the RAP9c holds 20% more ammo in the mag. The SR9c also has a mandatory manual safety, huge loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect safety, a grip that's not as adaptable for size, a plastic trigger, a plastic guide rod, a hole in the slide cover plate to let dirt and lint enter the striker channel, and a significantly more complicated field-stripping procedure that also requires pulling the trigger.

We can play this game all day if you want. ;-)

Like. :mrgreen:

tacticalreload

Bearcat
In all seriousness, I'm not sure I've seen so much hate thrown at a gun that doesn't deserve it in years and years. Glock fanboys hate it because it's not a Glock. SIG fanboys hate it because it's not a SIG. Even Ruger lovers seem to hate it because it's not an SR9 (?!?). It's either too heavy or too ugly or hurts your hand (although I would bet that most people who say that have either never shot it, didn't use the right backstrap, or failed to grip the pistol properly when shooting it). I don't get it.

I think it shoots flat, feels great in the hand, and has all the features that I like. I also don't think it looks half bad either. The fact that it can be had for about $400 or less if you look around is a total bonus.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't really want another subcompact 9mm right now but if I had to choose between the 2 I would take the RAP compact over the SR9c just because it doesn't have the Ruger magazine disconnect that I dislike. I don't think they will take off & sell like crazy though because the market is so saturated & the Ruger semi-autos have never been as popular as other makes. I am not saying they aren't good guns. I picked up the full sized RAP 9mm for my wife to shoot & we like it. Ruger semi's just don't have the following the S&W, Glock, Sig etc have.

modrifle3

Buckeye
tacticalreload said:
In all seriousness, I'm not sure I've seen so much hate thrown at a gun that doesn't deserve it in years and years. Glock fanboys hate it because it's not a Glock. SIG fanboys hate it because it's not a SIG. Even Ruger lovers seem to hate it because it's not an SR9 (?!?). It's either too heavy or too ugly or hurts your hand (although I would bet that most people who say that have either never shot it, didn't use the right backstrap, or failed to grip the pistol properly when shooting it). I don't get it.

I think it shoots flat, feels great in the hand, and has all the features that I like. I also don't think it looks half bad either. The fact that it can be had for about $400 or less if you look around is a total bonus.

I love Glocks, Sigs, XDs and M&Ps (Shields at least) and I think the American is one of the best Rugers so far. Never a huge SR fan, although the 9E was a step in right direction.

modrifle3

Buckeye
tacticalreload said:

I think you hit a good point with the haters . . . "Never shot one"

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't hate the RAP. I'm just tired of Ruger throwing tried and true designs overboard in favor of starting all over again with something new with all the attendant early gun problems that doesn't really do a better job.

modrifle3

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
I don't hate the RAP. I'm just tired of Ruger throwing tried and true designs overboard in favor of starting all over again with something new with all the attendant early gun problems that doesn't really do a better job.

I think Ruger has always tried to showcase investment casting in everything they do. My issue with the p series was just this. Very rough finish, odd shapes and angles. The fire control pieces are almost impossible to be made with out casting.

Rifles, revolvers and .22 pistols they really nailed, just wish quality control was as good as it once was.

tacticalreload

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:

While I hear what you're saying, there is some rhyme and reason to what they are doing, IMO. Moving from the alloy frame P-series pistols to the polymer-frame P-series pistols was a logical step based on where the market was going. The same can be said when they moved from the hammer-fired guns to the striker pistols. As far as migrating from the SR to the American... when they haven't officially "thrown out" the SR series guns. They still make them and you can still buy them. Arguably, the Pro versions of the American appeal to many folks (like me) who never considered an SR because of the "safety features" that it had. Additionally, the design was originally developed for the military trials, so it had to be designed around a different set of criteria that the SR guns didn't fulfill.

An old thread, I know...

But figured I'd say again, there are still no dedicated owb holsters for this gun. Oh yes, the website shows the holsters for the full size model are usable for the shorter model. I'm sure they are. But a holster that sticks out nearly an inch past the barrel and slide kind've defeats the purpose of a shorter barrel and slide.

Holster Makers! Anybody listening?

WAYNO.

James

Bearcat
I don't have a 9 of any flavor so i can't really speak about them that much. I do however have a RAP in 45acp and i have to say that i like it very much. It shoots very well as far as accuracy goes, i have the compact model without manual safety and it carries very well in my IWB holster and hides well for concealed carry. I also have a SR1911 45acp and a SR40 S&W and for the difference in prices i will take Rugers any day over those other over priced other models.

Latest posts