Ruger 257 roberts M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JCK

Single-Sixer
First, we need to know if it's a tang-safety or a MkII.
Some of the early models had barrel issues. These need rebarreling to fix.
My MkII was very finicky! It shot well with loads that my very accurate custom Mauser w/ERShaw barrel gagged on.
Particularly, a 100gr bullet over 38.0gr of IMR3031. My Mauser was indifferent on it shooting 1.25-1.5" groups. It'll typically shoot 3/4" 5-shot groups with a 100gr Sierra over 45.0gr of IMR4350.

The Ruger shot the 3031 load to 1.25" which was its best. It also liked a Hornady 117gr RN over 42.0 gr of IMR4350. I shot several deer with it. My favorite load was 45.0gr of IMR4831 under a Berger 115gr Hunting VLD.
I seated this to touch the rifling and got 3,000fps. Not even a +P load!
It is the best DRT deer load I've ever shot! Even heart lung shots are DRT due to internal devastation.
Unfortunately not a lot of different factory loads are available for the .257Roberts and most are loaded to a max OAL of 2.725". I seated to 2.875" for my MKII. MY 98 Mauser has the so-called 3"chamber. I seat it to 2.995" OAL (Sierra and Nosler bullets).

Good luck! BTW, my rifles wear Leupold scopes...

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
You also need to free float the barrel channel. Open it up until the barrel channel will let you slide a dollar bill down the length of it. Coat with some stock finish to seal it for protection from moisture. You also need to check the scope mount and ring screws to be sure they are tight.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
My 257 m77 is older than yours, but I've owned and shot more than thirty tangers, a couple Mk II's and a couple of Hawkeye's. Here are my steps with a new to me Rruger.
As the previous posts have said, scope and mounts first(scope good, mounts on in the right order, screws tight), action screws next ( i use front 91 lbs., back 50, middle loose enough that the box doesn't bind. If it still scatters, try putting a piece of an old credit card under the bearing spot at front of the action to float the barrel to see if relieving the front barrel makes a difference, before you start sanding.
I have never bumped into the bad barrel thing. Some Rugers need to be shot some before they show there best accuracy and smooth operation. My70 series does not shoot 115 or 120 weight bullets well. It is phenomenal with 75, 87 and 100's. It positively hates Hornady's SuperPerformance loads. They group near 2.5 inches at 100 yards.
Those are the steps I've taken with the Rugers that I've bought that the previous owners swore didn't shoot well and they all turned into good shooters.
Oh yes, since there is almost no factory ammo around for the 257, carefully prepared and selected reloads. Somebody else's pet load may shoot like crap in another rife.
Wish you well with it.
Bfly

quixtr

Bearcat
Maybe I'm not certain on the tang safety, it has a 2 position safety. Also nothing stamped say MKll. Also now looking the barrel crown looks pretty used . I don't know tolerable specs. by trying to find out , there is no "T" stamped under bolt handle

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Go to Gunbroker.com and look at the pictures of ruger m77's. You will easily see the differences between the tang safety, the Mark II, and the Hawkeye. Go to Ruger website and you can figure out from the serial number the year of manufacture.
Bfly

quixtr

Bearcat
Go to Gunbroker.com and look at the pictures of ruger m77's. You will easily see the differences between the tang safety, the Mark II, and the Hawkeye. Go to Ruger website and you can figure out from the serial number the year of manufacture.
Bfly
Serial # in first post. I could not find it anywhere on ruger site

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
This is off of Rugers site. The serial numbers are at the start of the year so your rifle would be a 1980 production and is a tang safety model. MkII's weren't made until 1989.

58FDE5E4-49CD-4856-AC52-FF68FF3FF961.jpeg

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
And i will be seeing those differences, thanks

awesome thank you

Sometimes the info can be hard to figure out where Ruger is hiding it. With the website changes over the years it can become a where's Waldo game to figure it out!

Your rifle should also be beyond the era of problem barrels that was mentioned in an earlier post.

quixtr

Bearcat
Sometimes the info can be hard to figure out where Ruger is hiding it. With the website changes over the years it can become a where's Waldo game to figure it out!

Your rifle should also be beyond the era of problem barrels that was mentioned in an earlier post.
That sounds really good thanks , I can take it from there, hopefully, goin back to range on Thurs, hoping to get back in the woods this weekend

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Make sure the barreled action is in the stock correctly? Try giving it a good cleaning? Maybe some different ammo? Or swap scopes to see if that's a culprit?

A lot of things to check before resorting to a new barrel or selling it.

I agree. I start with the magazine box. Open the floor plate, with the bolt closed, reach in and wiggle the mag box from side to side. It should move slightly, also try to move the box up and down a slight bit. It needs to move, if not it is binding on the action.
vaiXJ9T.jpg

If there is no movement. Remove the box and file down the metal on the box where the the floor plate and trigger tabs hold the box it in place. Just enough so there is slight movement when the tabs are tightened in place.

Front screw should be farmer tight, rear trigger screw tight, middle screw just tight enough so it will not fall out.

Forty-Four Fan

Bearcat
I had a M77RL original style tang safety rifle in .257 Roberts about 30 years ago. Handy little deer rifle that also shot like poop. Two things going on:

1. The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge - it's been my whitetail round for the past 20 years - but it's also a difficult one to work with. I have/had 5 different rifles in this cartridge. Every one of them required work to shoot 1 MOA: barrel channel relief, action bedding, time-consuming load development. The original loading was a 117 grain RN bullet and yawning velocities, as anything else available at the time would not shoot worth a damn. Even in modern rifles, 117 grain bullets shoot better than the 100 grainers.

2. The early Ruger M77 had inconsistent, mediocre barrels. Occasionally a good one would find it's way out the factory door, but they were few and far between. Add that to the early Ruger stock to action/barrel fitment - no bedding, fitting or precision - just plenty of forend pressure on the barrel against an unsealed wood stock. The result is essentially a minute-of-deer rifle at 100 yards.

If you have plenty of time, money and patience, you can get the rifle to shoot well. New barrel and stock work (bedding/barrel free floating), and load testing/development. Since loaded ammo and reloading brass is essentially made of unobtanium at the moment, I'm not sure what the endgame here would be.

Collectors have interest in these rifles, as Ruger did not make a boatload of them in that calibre.

Life is short, and frustration makes it shorter. If it was me I'd sell it and buy something that looks right, shoots well, and that I can enjoy right now. Peace out.

Last edited:

Loud-n-boomer

Bearcat
I have had two Rugers in .257 Roberts, a No. 1 B that my son now has and a tang safety .257 Roberts that I sold to a friend for his granddaughter. Both hated Barnes bullets and shot best with traditional cup and core bullets. If you have to shoot lead-free, I have found that the Hornady CX 90-grain works well in the older Rugers. My M77 shot best with 100-grain Noslers, either ballistic tips or partitions. The Roberts is one of my favorite rounds, and is an underrated classic.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Yep. If you've checked everything else swap out the scope. Once you've done that if you've been shooting 115's and 120's, try some 100 gr bullets. And if you've been shooting 100's, try the heavier bullets.

The Preacher

Gun_Cat

Bearcat
I guess I got one of the "good barrel" guns. With no other works than tight action screws, worked up handloads and a decent Leupold scope my tang safety M77 shoots under ¾ MOA with 87 and 100 grain Seirra bullets and IMR4350 powder.

I picked up the rifle second hand years ago knowing it might shoot OK, or not too good, because its was a nice find in an interesting chambering. It'll be one I keep till the end of my time.

Last edited:

Latest posts