Ruger #1 in stainless no longer made?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
The 250 Savage 1-A would be a nice rifle. I'm not sure I would buy one but then I rarely plan these things. I have always wanted a No.1 S24M or S26M Alex Henry, no sights in 225 Winchester or 219 Zipper, but I don't have the ambition to build one, besides I don't like altering original rifles.
I have no more desire for African calibers and prefer small caliber paper punchers. I'm about a Group 3 1/2 since I only have 6 No.1's presently. I would fall squarely into Group 4 had I kept all the No.1's I have owned. I'll just have to make do with No.1's in 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 22-250, 243, 308 and 7 mm Rem Mag Oh, and 45-70 No.3. Just my 2 cents worth. :!:

dmazur

Bearcat
Then there are the weird folks who use the Ruger #1 as the basis of a custom rifle -

RugerNo1s.jpg

These have no value for collectors, but they have free-floated stainless barrels, brown laminate stocks (in what I think is called a 1AB configuration), and the whole thing is GunKoted black.

MFD

Bearcat
Purchased subject rifle in 458Lott and it is one very fine big bore rifle able to withstand about any climate you may encounter. Even though quite heavy, handles very nicely and with recoil reducer is a lot of fun to shoot either low level 458Win Mag. or full house 458Lott. Lot of bang for the buck!!

martin

Gunluvr

Bearcat
I love the laminate stock. I have one of the original Frontier model 77s with the 16 inch barrel in 308. They are rare and I really love how stiff the stock is vs the Walnut for the #1 medium sporter.

tigerbat7

Bearcat
I have two no#1's, 1st one i bought was a 1A (7x57) new in 1976 and the last one was a lipseys S/S (K1A in 7.62x39), still have both they both shoot 3/4 to 1" groups and both have never fired factory ammo ever ! Only handloads, won't ever sell them! ever and both have great wood.

wunbe

Buckeye
IIRC, the first #1 offering in SS/laminate was a 1B in 7mm 08. I found the SS was polished to such a glaring high viz finish that I would not use it in the field. (All subsequent #1 models were more subdued.) Anyway I had the option of keeping it factory true or fixing the problem. A smith I know refinished it by running it through a bath of fine, mildly abrasive, pellets and it now has a French Gray patina. Makes for a good bad weather choice.

While in the mad collector mode Ross describes, I bought most of the wood SS models as they came out. Some had very nice wood but then all had the Alex Henry fore ends that I hate. In a later collection reduction mode, I ended up selling off all the SS #1s except for the original 7mm-08 which remains among my favorite 1Bs.

wunbe

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I believe as a barrel material stainless is superior to most conventional steels and has practical uses in humid and coastal environments--not to mention precision bench shooting. I have just purchased a very shiny rossi lever gun in stainless and it's going to be a woods hunter and the shininess is definitely a major drawback--but nowadays there are so many camo wraps, socks and tapes I'm not very worried about it.

RSIno1

Hunter
I'm a 3 but would buy an RSI w/laminate and stainless. Just need a 1V to round out my collection of a 1B 1H 1S RSI all are magnums except the RSI which is in America's caliber the 30-06.

slimatsea

Bearcat
I know this is a really old thread but I'm very curious about these custom no 1s. Where can I get one? :)

dmazur said:
Then there are the weird folks who use the Ruger #1 as the basis of a custom rifle -

RugerNo1s.jpg

These have no value for collectors, but they have free-floated stainless barrels, brown laminate stocks (in what I think is called a 1AB configuration), and the whole thing is GunKoted black.

wunbe

Buckeye
Watch the classifieds for an already made custom #1 made to someone else's taste and hope that the rifle satisfies al;l your needs n wants. Or, write a very big check to a gunsmith and give him the specs you want in your very own custom #1 .... and then wait for a year or so.

wunbe

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
slimatsea said:
I know this is a really old thread but I'm very curious about these custom no 1s. Where can I get one? :)

dmazur said:

RugerNo1s.jpg

Those look very sharp! They would look nice as stainless model also, but I do like the color you used on them. I really like the wood laminates with those types of browns such as the one they call the nutmeg laminate color.

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
I am a #4 and I like the stainless guns. Prefer the stainless/walnut. Have them in 35Whelen, 7.62 x 39, 6.5 swede and 500 S&W (my custom gun) and the laminate(brown laminate would have been better) in 405 Win and 375 H&H. Might have to check out Lipseys for one of the 45-70 S guns. Would love a #K1S in 308 or 358win!!

Gonfishn

Bearcat
As ya'll are goin about your #1's, I'm sittin here with my NIB, never fired, tags still attached, Ruger, Walnut (select w/burls) No. 1 in S/S (one of just over 200 produced). I absolutely love the look of the walnut against the S/S and it's in 7.62.x39 (cheap ammo). If Lipsey's ever does a 50th Anniv, it'd be great to do one in .223 with a filigreed receiver (logo etc) Ruger'd have to come up with some of the ol fine walnut they used to have (of course) and I'd prefer a S/S butt plate as well, even though the finishing aspect would be pricey (fit to stock). I'd like to see the butt plate logo'd as well. The .223 seems to me to be the best choice, from a modern "Merican" standpoint :) Shades of Viet Nam to the present, the all-American round (military speaking). Now I know there's gonna be some consternation in what I've suggested but, hey, Jason if you're readin this, what'd be better than doing it up right? Production run? I'd say 200-250 which may seem small but they'd be a premium No. 1 and I'm thinking around the $1695.00 mark (MSRP).

Gonfishn

Bearcat
NNNOOOOOOOOO Let's dup the SS 7.62x39 w/choice walnut stock in .223. That's it, there's no excuse to make anything other than that, period, no discussion!!!!!! :)