Rough, Rough 3 screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Picked this up today at the local gun show. She ain't pretty, but functions great. Guy I got it from said he had owned it since 1970 and it looked that way when he bought it. Serial number puts it a 1960 model. Funny thing is, the grips are absolutely mint, looks to be fired hardly any, but there is basically NO blue left on gun, has some minor pits and all color was stripped from alum. I am in it for 200 bucks. Probably too much, but thought it needed some love.........LOL!!! Good candidate for a little upgrade. Maybe a reblue and polish the frame

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Collectors call that "patina" and "history."

I'm with you, good cleanup, polish and reblue, nice walnut grips........

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No finish and little original metal surface. That will make a great project if the pits aren't so deep that you have to remove roll mark letters and numbers.

Got this old 'boat anchor' for $200 to rescue and also make some modifications that I wouldn't do to a nice one in good conscience. It's a 1967 vintage 3 screw Super single six that came out of Florida and was apparently a coup de gras gun on a fishing boat. But the action was original and mechanically sound. These Rugers are truly almost indestructible:

standard.jpg

About 3/4 done. Made it a flat top with 4 1/8" barrel and NM steel XR3 grip frame:

large.jpg

I was happy with how it came out.

orig.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Finding beaters & restoring them to a much better condition is always a chore, yet more a labor of love. Good job on finding a good gun.
Now, Hondo, in your pic of "about 3/4 done" I see a Bisley hammer, yet, the finished gun is different. Why?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Thank you all for the kind comments.

Contender, good eye! Yes, I originally sectioned a new model Bisley .22 hammer to the bottom half of the standard OM hammer base and silver soldered them together inside the frame where the joint doesn't show. I wound up swapping it to another of my OM single sixes. And swapped its standard hammer for a spliced Super BH hammer shown here in a different single six, into the above project.

cid_20140416_084010.jpg

I just haven't had the time for new photos yet. Some projects just never end!

The polished frame in the above project is bare metal, no clear coat. I had often read that a polished bare metal surface does not rust that easily because the rust does not take hold well to a smooth surface. After 3 years of use with just normal cleaning and oiling it's proved to be true!

100yr2late

Bearcat
Here is mine. Poor finish and I took oil and fine emory cloth, 400 then 800 and then wiped it down with alcohol and swabbed 44-40 cold blue on. Then 0000 steel wool with oil and repeated 44-40, 0000 and oil. Took the anodize off the grip frame and polished it. I had an old set of J Scott fake stag grips that were too fat and had turned orange. I thinned them up with angle grinder and file fitted them then sanded them smooth and 0000 steel wool. This pic doesn't have those grips on but I will post a pic in a new post. So have at that old single-six gtxmonte, Can't hurt it.
guns%204%20sale%20027_zpsp2dj5z2n.jpg

Latest posts