Romeo5 on mk ii

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayrus544

Bearcat
Looking to mount a romeo5 on a mk ii. I need a mount that will fit in the rear sight dovetail and that will accommodate the Romeo. I'm sure there is way to do this just don't what it is. Thanks Jay

^^In that case, I'd suggest looking at a different optic. I have a SIG sight very similar to the ROMEO 5 and IMHO, you might be more satisfied with something more compact that sits closer to the barrel.
From another perspective, I really don't think the dovetail type mount is strong enough to support that much optic sitting so high. I've not had any problems with the dovetail mount I'm using but it supports a much smaller optic.

Jayrus544

Bearcat
Found a pic of what I'm trying to do just don't know what mount

Attachments

• IMG_1236.png
    IMG_1236.png
    146 KB · Views: 30

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
^^In that case, I'd suggest looking at a different optic. I have a SIG sight very similar to the ROMEO 5 and IMHO, you might be more satisfied with something more compact that sits closer to the barrel.
From another perspective, I really don't think the dovetail type mount is strong enough to support that much optic sitting so high. I've not had any problems with the dovetail mount I'm using but it supports a much smaller optic.

Agree with Mobuck.
It looks more like a rifle sight to me......

Cheers,
JAYDAWG

The high profile Romeo 5 is primarily intended for use on a long gun. I don't have one readily available to determine if the 'riser' is removable as it is on some of the Vortex branded dot optics.

Jayrus544

Bearcat
They do come with a low riser but I don't think anyone make a base. So I'll probably just go in a different direction.

gunzo

Hunter
Some models of the MKII, like the III & IV were drilled & taped to accept a Weaver type rail. Ruger sells a rail that specifically matches the radius of the upper receiver.
By getting that done, you could mount/dismount just about anything anytime. To me, a small initial investment that could offer a lot of solutions.

contender

Ruger Guru
"The high profile Romeo 5 is primarily intended for use on a long gun."

This is something to seriously consider.

Many red dots are built with a purpose in mind. And if you try & put a dot designed for a long gun, that was built to be easily used when you shoulder it,, on a handgun,, problems can arise.

In USPSA,, long ago,, many of the "Open" class gun (which were the only ones at that time that allowed dot optics) users quickly discovered the perils of aligning the dot, only to find the gun sits too far below the dot & hits a wall, hard cover, or otherwise doesn't go where you wanted it to go. I have wooden walls with bullet holes in a port window frame because of this. I also have wooden walls where a shooter trying to lean around and the dot is on target, but the bullet impacts the edge of the wall.

Basically, you should always try & mount a dot as low as possible because of alignment with your eyes & the target on a handgun. Just as you try & get a rifle scope or dot to be in alignment with your eyes when the gun is shoulder mounted.

s4s4u

Hunter
The Romeo 5 utilizes the Aimpoint T-2 footprint so you might be able to get there searching for Aimpoint mounts or other aftermarket mounts with that footprint, or an adaptor that will fit the Docter/DPP/Burris dovetail mounts for their mini reflex sights that are readily available. I couldn't find anything with a quick search but a deeper dive might get results.