ROCS/OGCA 2023 displays

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I keep telling folks,, you really need to build a display & show off your Rugers. It DOES NOT MATTER if you are a Novice, or don't have a lot to show. SHOW WHAT YOU LIKE!

As I told one excellent DA Ruger fan,, "JUST DO IT!" and now,, he's grown a lot over the years in his knowledge & collection of good stuff.

Well, last weekend, July 22-23, once again, the Ruger Owners & Collectors Society were invited to display for the 9th consecutive year at the summer OGCA show in Wilmington Ohio. Truly a great time was had, and we had displayers from all over. I think the furtherest anybody traveled was from Idaho, with an excellent display of Single-Sixes. But folks from all over converged upon Ohio with many various Rugers & Ruger items to share with others.
From some single digit guns, to rare one of a kind guns, to modern DA guns, to rifles to memorabilia and heck, to full auto Rugers & other great items.
And even if you don't display,, you can visit the show & drool,, eerr,, enjoy the great stuff.

ROCS does have a judging set-up for Novice, Intermediate, & Advanced collectors. After that, the non-judged bunch are "Master Class" displayers. We follow-up with an awards banquet, as well as a silent auction & live auction to help raise funds for ROCS events. Our Saturday night banquet was a packed room.

So, to share a peek at each display,, here are pictures. If you really want details,, JOIN ROCS! You will get the Journals with each & every display & details.

ROCS-2023-18.JPG
ROCS-2023-19.JPG
ROCS-2023-20.JPG

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I have been to that Wilmington show once a while back and enjoyed it very much and met some really good people(collectors). I hope to make it back one day even if it is just to look around much like I did the last time I was there. Great job everyone all the displays look amazing

contender

Ruger Guru
Bullthrower338,, it IS a LOT of fun. And heck, the hanging out with all the good folks who display stuff, conversing about all the different things is a great education.

But the absolute best part is the casual Ruger owner,, the guy who has a special (to him) Ruger that he seeks out info from one of us & gets a lot of details he might never have found.
Case in point;
Last year, at this very same show,, an older gentleman was talking to me about his .357 OM. It has a brass grip frame. I STRONGLY urged him to "get a letter" on the gun. This year,, at the early beginning of the show,, here he came. To see me,, AND thank me for pushing him towards the letter. See,,, his gun lettered as having shipped with the brass frame. Instant value increase. But his kind words made my entire show. Very late in the day,, he came back by,, and as we sat & chatted,, I was showing him the excellent article by Chad in a copy of the RENE several months ago. In it,, Chad said that Ruger didn't ship any of the OM .357's until September 1972. Well, I saw his letter, and his gun had been made AND shipped in August 1972. A month earlier than what Chad had reported.
Little details like this help ALL collectors. But it truly impressed this fine gentleman that his gun was even a bit more special.
All because I took the time to talk to him about HIS gun.

This is exactly WHY we need more folks to join ROCS,, and to do displays so we can help the casual Ruger owner as much as possible.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks Dan.

What many folks don't understand is that ALL of us who display regularly were beginners at some point.

Yes,, many of the displays are a bit elaborate, or contain almost un-obtanium rare guns. Yes,, some of the displays contain very expensive (when purchased by a collector from a collector,) pieces,, that have various pedigrees or whatever.

BUT,,, I have had the JOY of watching new guys put together a display using humor, (Loved it Scott,) or with a twist of humor, or heck, just what may not be rare,, but were special to THEM!!!!!!! Or even the one where the displayer shared stuff and the theme was about how he'd done it "around" his wife w/o her having much knowledge about them.

And displays do not have to be all older guns. Look at the ones above,, the "Birdshead Wranglers." or the "Super Redhawks." Or even the one gun displays we often see.

I try hard to not sound like a Preacher,, but I'll get in my pulpit & say it again; "ANYBODY CAN DISPLAY, AND ANYBODY CAN HAVE A VERY GOOD DISPLAY!!!! JUST DO IT!!!"

I actually prefer to see new folks put together something,, using their ideas, and approach things a bit differently. Fresh ideas, and often,, very unique stuff to boot!

Heck,, I had an idea long ago that someone could use and easily build a great display around. I can't use it because it wouldn't apply to me. The title; "My Grandpa's gun(s)" ! And then build a display around what their grandpa or heck, even their dad had,, that they now own. Adding pictures of the former owner, family, and the "story" behind the gun(s). It could be a worn out Ruger,, and still make a great display.

My point; I'D LIKE TO SEE NEW FOLKS JOIN US!!!!!!

JUST DO IT!!!!!!

dstegjas

Single-Sixer
The OGCA is a great organization to be a part of. I joined when it was in Columbus many years ago. Great displays and members too. They are always ready and willing to talk about guns or anything to help with a problem. I have enjoyed the years I have been a member.

I missed the show this time but am hoping to make it next year. I don't have anything rare like some of these guys and there are some things you will see there that you will never see otherwise.
My addition to the fun is auctioning for the banquet and a comedy routine while doing it. Some people receive unique little gifts during the fun poking. Those of you who know me understand and are good sports about it.

The combined knowledge of the group is amazing and the things that show up from the other people in the show can be surprising. Several years ago a kid walked up with something wrapped in a towel and asked if I could help him. He pulled out the top of an old boot that had been made into a holster. It contained a 95% condition Type III Red Eagle .22 pistol that had been his grandfather's. The guy didn't want the gun and wanted to know what it was worth. I guided him to 2 other members and everyone was happy. The kid got a fair price for the pistol and the buyer got a good addition to his collection.

twriggen

Single-Sixer
After a grueling almost three weeks we just walked through the door back at home in Idaho Falls. What a trip and what a group of people. It is amazing how fast the time goes by while you're at the show, and not just because Tyrone never seems to take a breath. Thank you all for putting up with with us and hope to see most of you again in Tulsa this year. Fingers crossed.

1690933373150.jpeg