77/357 Rebarrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"Nobody here has tried this yet? Has anyone looked into it but ended up deciding against it? If so, why?"
Not to seem snarky but as you said: "WHY?"
The 77/?? handgun caliber is what it is and not a lot of options for 'improvements/upgrades'. May as well start with a rifle caliber platform.

Guv

Bearcat
77/357's especially with the walnut stock are very pricey and hard to find.
Even the synthetic stocked models are not cheap.
Why do you want to re-barrel it?

Hoth

Bearcat
Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part. I'm not interested in rebarreling to a different cartridge but I'm hoping to find a barrel that will give me better accuracy. I realize that this rifle won't be a tack driver no matter what I do, but 3 inch groups at 100 yards would be a nice improvement over the 6" I'm currently getting from factory ammunition.

Guv

Bearcat
How are you sure it's the barrel?
Does it have a scope, if so what type and what mounts?
Is it a wood stock or synthetic stock?
How is the trigger, heavy, any creep?
Have you tried different bullet weights?

Hoth

Bearcat
100% sure, no. Reasonably sure, yes. Two different scopes, one Vortex and one Nikon. Ruger factory mounts, bases torqued to 35 lbs, rings torqued to 25 lbs. Two different stocks, factory synthetic and laminate Boyd's At-One. No observed change in accuracy with either scope or stock. Trigger was heavy (7+ lbs), but with a LOT of polishing it's now down to 3-1/4 - 3-1/2 lbs. No creep at all. The bolt has been shimmed. It hates 125s and I've given up on them completely. 158s and 180s shoot similarly though I think the 158s do marginally better.

Hoth

Bearcat
That's where I got the idea to shim the bolt. They also suggested I check to make sure the mounts and rings were secure which I did.

hittman

Staff member
Does Ruger believe that accuracy is "within specs" or do they think they can improve it / it should do better, etc.?

Hoth

Bearcat
The conversation took place well over a year ago so I don't remember all the details, but I got the strong impression that that was what the guy I spoke with was trying to tell me (within spec) without saying it outright.

Guv

Bearcat
I would put it back in the factory stock and tell them your very disappointed in the accuracy. Quote them your 125gr results and see if they will send you a shipping label.
Sounds like you have done all you can, I would try and put it on them at this point.

Rum River

Bearcat
OP, you mentioned the bullet weights of the factory ammunition you've tried - do you have a ballpark idea what the velocities of those rounds were? I haven't measured the twist rate in my 77/357 but I think it's supposed to be 1-16". If the rounds you tried were of slower velocity that could affect your group size.

Hope this helps...........