Reloading 410 and 28ga TSS Or TSS Duplex Loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Good morning everyone,

Curious if anyone reloads small bore TSS or TSS Duplex with steel? Anyone have their reloads tested for pressure and adhere to SAAMI specs?

For example sent in a load for 28ga to be tested and it was below SAAMI's recommended pressure if 12,500PSI.

I've recently found the small bores in the last year and have absolutely fell in love with the 28ga.

Started reloading to save some money. Been a big fan of Boss Bismuth Shells, but at $35-$40 per 20 I figured I could load some TSS Duplex Loads for about the same cost if not cheaper.

Always looking for the next best small bore TSS Duplex Loads for waterfowl hunting!

Thanks!

Buddy

Attachments

• IMG_5275.jpeg
    IMG_5275.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Pretty sure the SAAMI process isn't cheap or easy. If you are hoping to commercially develop something good luck. The big manufacturers troll reloading threads. Ask Moleman about the 350 and 400 Legends.

Pretty sure the SAAMI process isn't cheap or easy. If you are hoping to commercially develop something good luck. The big manufacturers troll reloading threads. Ask Moleman about the 350 and 400 Legends.
Not quite what I mean. I'll edit my post. Just asking if they have sent them in to be tested and they tested below SAAMI spec. It's like $30-$50 to have them sent off and pressure tested.

Not quite what I mean. I'll edit my post. Just asking if they have sent them in to be tested and they tested below SAAMI spec. It's like $30-$50 to have them sent off and pressure tested.
Wow I had no idea. I usually cross-reference 3-4 data sources and work up over a chronograph watching for pressure signs. The whole point of reloading is to tailor loads for your guns. I have loads for my 357sig Bond Arms that I would never put in a semi auto. My Dan Wesson loads would take a S&W apart. Of course my hunting loads for Great Grandfather's Damascus shotgun are made to be safe in it as well. I can load specialty rounds that are either not commercially available like Lehigh's in almost everything. I suppose $30-50 is cheap piece of mind. Now that I know I might send a few in for giggles. And no I don't load anything that batters my guns slides or bolts.

Wow I had no idea. I usually cross-reference 3-4 data sources and work up over a chronograph watching for pressure signs. The whole point of reloading is to tailor loads for your guns. I have loads for my 357sig Bond Arms that I would never put in a semi auto. My Dan Wesson loads would take a S&W apart. Of course my hunting loads for Great Grandfather's Damascus shotgun are made to be safe in it as well. I can load specialty rounds that are either not commercially available like Lehigh's in almost everything. I suppose $30-50 is cheap piece of mind. Now that I know I might send a few in for giggles. And no I don't load anything that batters my guns slides or bolts.
This is for Shotshells, not sure if they do it for brass loads.

It really is reasonable to have them tested. Here is Precision Reloadings information, they do it for Shotshells.. Here is their information.

Attachments

• IMG_5464.png
    IMG_5464.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5465.png
    IMG_5465.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 39

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
While I have quite a few 28 and 410 guns I mostly shoot tubed O/Us . I would shoot steel out of the Remingtons and have I won't shoot it out of the M 12 28 GAs or the M 42s. Neat making loads but truly not worth the expense. I had pressure testing done back many years ago..it was expensive then...probably higher now. BTW I shot bunches of teal with the 28 ga. I also loaded lots of steel in 12 and some 20 ga. It was still terrible waterfowl loads. I was a waterfowl guide in Md for over 35 years. I kinda shot a lot of geese and ducks

Dan in MI

Staff member

There's not much TSS data to reference for small bores.

krw

Blackhawk
I order the #7 TSS, 3" 12ga from Nitro ammunition company. They are expensive but are Bad news on Turkeys!!! Have debated on stepping down to 3" 20ga, but my old Beretta 390 would never let me live that down 😂😂