Redhawk questions (I've never fired one before.)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

annasophia

Bearcat
What's a regular 6" Stainless Redhawk in .44mag worth these days? I have a friend that has one he bought about 4 years ago and put a box of ammo through it and then put it away, so it's basically a like new gun. He told me he'd sell it for $400. I've kind of been wanting one of these for a while, although I'd rather have a 4" barreled one, but if the price is good enough, I could live with the 6". I felt like this is a decent deal but I thought I'd check here with the pros before I buy it since I'm rarely steered in the wrong direction from advise offered here. How good of a deal is this?

--Anna Sophia

annasophia

Bearcat
Yes, it has the box and papers and even the plastic bag and little yellow plastic ring that they put over the cylinder. It's basically a like new gun as it has only had 50 rounds through it since it left the factory some 4 years ago.

--Anna Sophia

annasophia

Bearcat
I didn't measure it, so I guess it's probably the 5.5" model. I did handle it today and look it over real closely and it's pretty much like a new revolver. There's the grime on it from the 50 rounds he put through it and I'm sure he has never cleaned it beyond giving it a a superficial wipe down with a rag. I've been watching out for a used 4" version for quite some time and I've not seen any on the used market as of yet...but this opportunity kind of fell in my lap today.

--Anna Sophia

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I wouldn't hesitate.

I just sold one last year for $550.00 with box and docs.

I owned a 4" in 45 Colt for a few months, but found I liked the handling characteristics of the 5.5" better. Just seemed more comfortable to me.

As said that is a great price for a 5.5" Redhawk.

As you have never fired a Redhawk before, have you fired a 44 magnum? The RH is heavy and helps reduce recoil. I found that the uncovered backstrap pounded my palm too much, so I have Pachmayr's on mine. These help a lot.

I Have both a 4" and a 7.5" Redhawk. I had a 5.5 for years but sold it.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Anything you do - Don't buy it! Instead, let me know where to find it, and I'll dispose of that gun and take it away safely before temptation gets the best of you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I paid $600.00 for mine 3 years ago no regrets! Wouldn't sell it for that. Once I am attached to a firearm its price goes wayyyyy up. This one is a keeper. I would buy it before he gets attached to his.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The original Redhawk grip (wood panels and exposed backstrap) can be a little harsh on recoil with stout loads. I often shoot reduced handloads in my Redhawk. There are some rubber grips that can take the sting out of those big boomers. A good price for a slightly used Redhawk would be anything under $600. They can be a little hard to come by sometimes as they are now. There hasn't been a production run of Redhawks in quite a while.

This is the 7.5" Redhawk.
Redhawk75.jpg

...Jimbo

yes indeed, that is a "deal", buy it, you can always use it for "'trade bait",but only after you at least try it out, as the 5 1/2 inch balances much better for some people.........and being its 'stainless steel, very lttle time and effort , it can and will clean up to look as good as new............
if the wood grips do not fit you, there are always others, like Pachmayrs or Hogues that will do the job........

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I'd jump on that. I have a 7.5 inch Hunter model and yes, stout loads can sting after a while. I wear a weight lifting glove (padded palm, no fingers) and I put Nill Griffe grips on mine. Love it!

trouble

Single-Sixer
I remember when RH's were $350 on the used market just a couple of years ago, they've really jumped in price now so $400 is a steal! I recently traded for a 1988 vintage 5.5" myself after being without a RH for a couple of years. Grab it, there's no better 44 on the market for lot's of shooting.

rtl

Single-Sixer
I've been watching these on gunbroker.com lately and specimins in lesser shape than what you described have been going for about $700 +/-. Buy it! If you don't like it, flip it for a profit or use it for trading fodder. Seriously, buy it!

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
I bought my 5.5" Redhawk brand new for $300, but that was in 1981/82 (give or take).

Buy it and don't look back.

Did your friend save the empty casings? If so, take him (and spouse if married) to dinner at the finest restaurant in town. You owe him. You owe him even if he didn't save the brass.

Use the money you just saved to buy a reloading setup (don't point out the logical fallacy to me, just do it). For the price of 10 boxes of 44 mag, you can get everything you need to load 500 rounds (at whatever power level you feel comfortable with). After that, your ammo cost is 1/4 of retail. (estimates)

Congratulations on getting a real steal in real steel.

Lost Sheep

annasophia

Bearcat
I got it today and I was mistaken, it's a 7.5" barrel, not 6.5"....but it is nice all the same. I'm excited to try it out. I have some .44 brass and components already, so I'll load some mild and a few hotter rounds and give it a go once the weather here in the northwest dries a bit. It's kind of an ugly mud-bog right now outside as soon as you're off the pavement.

Once again, thanks for all the input guys! I'll be back to tell you about it after I take it out.

--Anna Sophia

Knuckles

Buckeye
I have owned the 7.5" and the 4' Redhawks... One was too front heavy and the other felt like it didn't have enough muzzle.

I'm of the opinion that the 5.5' would be the best size for that Ruger model. :wink: