Recommendations for a full size 9mm pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wideglide

Bearcat
Sig P226 is my favorite with the Beretta 92 right behind it. The Sig can hold 20 rounds with a modified mag baseplate and I've never had a misfire in thousands of rounds. Once you get the sight pattern down it's very accurate too. They are flawless pieces. Of course you need a thousand bucks to get a new one, maybe a little more for the Legion.

5of7

Hunter
I have a CZ 75 Omega and it has suited my requirements just fine. I get 15 shot groups of 4" to 5" at 25 yds. and I paid 4oo & something for it wholesale from Zanders. The trigger is a little heavy and the DA pull is very heavy, but that can be fixed.

Other than that, it is a good no-nonsense handgun and I have decided that it is a "keeper." 8)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
I have a CZ 75 Omega and it has suited my requirements just fine. I get 15 shot groups of 4" to 5" at 25 yds. and I paid 4oo & something for it wholesale from Zanders. The trigger is a little heavy and the DA pull is very heavy, but that can be fixed.

Other than that, it is a good no-nonsense handgun and I have decided that it is a "keeper." 8)

I just returned from the range with my sr40c, I did something I usually don't and pushed the target all the way back to 25 yards just to see how I did. In my hand it printed 10-11 inch groups with one 15 round magazine with one flyer WAY low left (my fault). I'm not the best shot, but I was rather happy with that. Maybe I shouldn't be.

Reading these forums I've become interested in the full size CZ 75's since I hear so many good things. I'm not sure what version I want though there are several on the website and I've never owned a semi that has a hammer and decocker.

When you say the heavy double action can be fixed.- What exactly would that involve? Would I need a gunsmith?

5of7

Hunter
Rei40c said:
When you say the heavy double action can be fixed.- What exactly would that involve? Would I need a gunsmith?

That is what I would do, but a lot of people here do their own. I can polish up the trigger mechanisms on revolvers, no sweat, but on a semi auto I am concerned about it still being a SEMI auto when I get done, so I don't mess much with semi autos. 8)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
Rei40c said:

That is what I would do, but a lot of people here do their own. I can polish up the trigger mechanisms on revolvers, no sweat, but on a semi auto I am concerned about it still being a SEMI auto when I get done, so I don't mess much with semi autos. 8)

I'm with you on that one, I polish some feed ramps but that's about it. Anything more serious where removing metal in other places I'd rather not play around with either.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Lots of opinions but I agree with one and you should really try the Ruger American 9mm first. I traded my M&P 40 Pro even for the American and glad I did.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
As much as I love the Hi-Power I think it needs some options that will give it a broader appeal. Lose the mag safety, bring out a lightweight aluminum frame model, bring back stainless and/or add a rust resistant Tenifer type finish, more factory sight options. The endless options are a large part of the 1911 appeal and I think more people would become interested in the BHP if it had more options.

Depends on what you want for a manual of arms...double action, single action or a consistent pull shot to shot...if a striker fired is preferred, the H&K VP 9 is excellent, as is the Walther PPS and the Sig 320...

The double action/single action preference would be Sig followed by CZ...

Many good choices...good luck...

neilin

Bearcat
I took my new Ruger American Pistol 9mm to the local outdoor range, today. You are only allowed to shoot at 25 yards, bad deal for checking a new gun. It shoots high at that range. I put 106 rounds through it (2 17 round magazines). 92 grain lead cast bullets, 115 grain hollow points, and 115 grain FMJ Remington. Everything fed. I liked the trigger pull. My local gun shop measured the trigger pull at 7 pounds. Ruger is advertising a 6 pound pull. The tool used to measure the pull was hand held and may not be precise. At this point, I am extremely pleased with the Ruger American Pistol. Anything else would be un-American!

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
All right I'll say it... KP89dc.

Of course. Surprised of what I was reading, thought maybe I was on a different forum.

Any of the P series would work just fine. I got a few lying around and they all take the same mags.

loaded round

Hunter
If you own a Browning HP, you can ''lose'' the mag safety in about 10 minutes.

FergusonTO35 said:
As much as I love the Hi-Power I think it needs some options that will give it a broader appeal. Lose the mag safety, bring out a lightweight aluminum frame model, bring back stainless and/or add a rust resistant Tenifer type finish, more factory sight options. The endless options are a large part of the 1911 appeal and I think more people would become interested in the BHP if it had more options.

tinman

Buckeye
Although I carry Glocks, I would recommend that you get whichever fits your hands the best and get you on target most accurately......borrowed from friends or rented at the shootin ranges is gonna be the quickest (and cheapest) way I know to find out which will be your choice. :idea: