Re-bluing a plum blackhawk frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trapperon

Blackhawk
Has anyone had Ruger factory re-blue an earlier blackhawk frame that has turned plum? I wondered if it stayed plum in color or went back to a traditional bluing color. I have an early new model (turned plum) I planned on sending in for a re blue from the factory and just wondered what to expect for results.

Thanks. Ron

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Depending on the vintage and overall condition of the revolver, the plum coloring is a plus to collectors, so a few more details from your end would be helpful. Is it an Old Model most obviously because New Models don't usually turn Plum, photo's would be appreciated

one never knows until you actually reblue one, we've done them over the years, some will turn plum again, IF it is in the alloy make up ( batch mix) of the casting....but if it was not properly blued in the first place by fault in the system, (temperature) or time left in the tanks, it just may turn and stay "blue" this time around...only time will tell
One thing in your favor is if you "complain" as the the original finish being "plum" they just may give you a break in redoing ir or a price break..only THEY can tell you this upon inspection/evaluation...go for it

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
trapperon said:
it's an early new model 45----pretty beat. was going to have a steel grip frame installed--which entails a full re-blue.

Ron

Why?

Some folks like the contrast between a blued grip frame and the plum cylinder frame.

I like the contrast between the blued parts and the almost non-finish of this old Colt:

Bob Wright

48flyer

Single-Sixer
conder0289 said:
Depending on the vintage and overall condition of the revolver, the plum coloring is a plus to collectors, so a few more details from your end would be helpful. Is it an Old Model most obviously because New Models don't turn Plum, photo's would be appreciated

I beg to differ. Not many of the new models turn plum.
I have a 44Spc Vaquero that has turned a beautiful plum color and wouldn't change it for anything. It's quite beautiful

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have a NM BlackHawk 45 Colt with a nice plum loading gate. I like it and would not dream of refinishing it. :mrgreen:

32Magfan

trapperon

Blackhawk
Thanks everyone. Its all boxed up and ready to go to the Newport factory--so no pics! I was not really unhappy with the plum coloring--just wanted to get a steel grip frame installed on it as I prefer it to the aluminum frames. Ruger insists they "match polish" and re-blue the entire gun if they install/fit the steel frame. Basically just wondered out of curiosity if it would still be "plum" when it returned.

Cant wait to get it back--7.5 inch all steel blued blackhawk 45 Colt and 1000 fps 250 grain slugs. Whoop whoop!!!

Ron

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
trapperon said:
Thanks everyone. Its all boxed up and ready to go to the Newport factory--so no pics! I was not really unhappy with the plum coloring--just wanted to get a steel grip frame installed on it as I prefer it to the aluminum frames. Ruger insists they "match polish" and re-blue the entire gun if they install/fit the steel frame. Basically just wondered out of curiosity if it would still be "plum" when it returned.

Cant wait to get it back--7.5 inch all steel blued blackhawk 45 Colt and 1000 fps 250 grain slugs. Whoop whoop!!!

Ron

I'd love to see pics when it comes back.

SAJohn, that is plum beautiful!

(I'm probably prejudiced since I got my first Ruger with money made by shaking prune trees at $1.25 an hour!. About a week's work, with taxes and ctgs. Wish I still had it; I bet it's plum by now.).

Prescut

Single-Sixer
SAJohn, that is plum beautiful!

+1

I have a 357 Maximum that has turned plum and is beautiful. It's my preference.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The plum is an error in salt concentration in the bluing solution. Too little water, as it were. So if they do it right this time, it should not come back plum.

It also often takes many years for the plum color to fully develop. I have an early 1990's M77MkII which was black (roughly) when I bought it, as shown in some of the old photos I have of my game animals taken in early years with it. It's a beautiful, full luster, even plum today.

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I have a 357 Flat Top that was reblued and it was just as plum after it was reblued. It's something that is used to alloy the steel that causes it.
Ron

Latest posts