RCBS Bullet Puller and Black Powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akbluz

Blackhawk
I was reading the instructions for the new RCBS Pow'r Pull bullet puller that I got today and I had a surprise. I had planned to use it to pull the cast bullets on some .45 Colt rounds that were given to me. They were loaded with 3Fg. The instructions (Warning!) says "Do not use with black powder cartridges". Is this something inserted by the lawyers - or is this really something that should NOT be attempted. I want to be safe and since I couldn't get the Search function to work, I'm throwing it out to the "Brain Trust" to get the real skinny on this.
Thanks in advance for info.

DGW1949

Hunter
Black powder is a true explosive.
Black powder can be set-off by mere concussion...it don't need a spark.
Pour a little black powder on a hard surface and hit it with a hammer. It will likely go off. That's how cap guns work.

You can take it from there.

DGW

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have been reloading for over 55 years and have never owned a hammer type impact bullet puller. I pull rifle bullets in the loading press without a die installed. Raise the ram with bullet. Grab the bullet with a side cutter and lower the ram. the bullet should not be reused anyway.

akbluz

Blackhawk
In the interest of safety, I will NOT be using the RCBS kinetic bullet puller on black powder loaded rounds. Thanks for everyone's input.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
I have been reloading for over 55 years and have never owned a hammer type impact bullet puller. I pull rifle bullets in the loading press without a die installed. Raise the ram with bullet. Grab the bullet with a side cutter and lower the ram. the bullet should not be reused anyway.
+1