Question on Ruger Charger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JEFraze

Single-Sixer
Hello,
I am looking into getting a Ruger Charger. I was wondering if they are good for anything other than someting neat to look at. Are the accurate do they shoot well?

Do any of you all have one, if you do have you had any problems with it?

Thanks

gasbag

Blackhawk
I have one and I shoot it a lot. It is great fun.
I use it mostly just for relaxing and trigger pull etc.
And it's cheap to shoot. I would recommend a Charger to anyone
who wants to have a good time shooting.

This was 15 rounds at 50 feet. Don't know whether it is good or not but I had fun doing it.
I have 68 year old eyeballs for an excuse anyway.

DSC_0005-001-1.jpg

This was done by my wife.
It was the first time she shot the Charger and the second time she has shot a gun of any kind.
She had a blast and wants to go back.

DSC_0004-001-1.jpg
:D

My Charger is the most accurate factory 10/22 I have had. Mine loves CCI Stingers. It will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards when scoped. I usually keep a red dot on it for squirrels. Even with the red dot it will do under an inch at 50.
I have a few Ramline mags that work in my rifles but wont work in the Charger. The new Ruger 25 round mag works great in it.

My opinion of whether you should get one would depend on what you already have...

If you already own other 10/22 rifles and probably 22lr handguns then yes... you should consider one..

If this is your first '10/22' based gun or especially your first 22lr handgun... or rifle.. then no... I think you would be better served to get a rifle (10/22) or basic semi auto pistol (MK III) first.

Even though the Charger is considered a pistol... it is really somewhere in between a handgun and rifle and you really need the bipod and bench shooting to be accurate with it. I have used it in silhouette competition without the bipod laying down backwards and resting it against your leg... but unless you are in really good shape... this is tough.

I'm probably going to post a separate question about other's recommendations on the best optics for one... which is another issue with them... no iron sights.

JEFraze

Single-Sixer
This will be my first ruger .22lr. I however do have other .22cal rifles Marlin model 60 An old Western Auto bolt action .22lr (this was my first gun recived it when I was 8yrs old) And I also have a Remington model 597. I love .22's there so much fun to shoot and are usually very accrurate.

Being a Ruger fan I'm still a little hesitant to recommend the Charger for your first Ruger... as I said, there are 'better' over all choices from Ruger in this caliber... 10/22 or MKIII. But that is just my opinion... the Charger is a very different critter.

The Charger is ideal for bench shooting for children and adults who have no experience with guns.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
If they had a lighter synthetic stock ..and had iron sights it would make my decision easier.....the charger would be just about the best option for a squirrel gun I've ever seen..I now use a single shot Daisy 22 with a plastic stock ..yungin size

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
The Charger would be great if you are just into target shooting from a rest or bench. Other than that I would agree with blume357, get a Mark III with the longer barrel. It comes with a scope rail and iron sights. That way you can do any kind of shooting you are looking at, from bench to hunting to just plain yard varmints if needed.
Good Luck

SD Handgunner

Bearcat
I just recently put together a Custom Ruger Charger. This project actually started about a year ago, I got frustrated and sold off everything I had picked up for the project. Well I got the urge once again but this time I bought a Ruger Charger to start with instead of just parts.

RugerChargerFactory.jpg

I shot the Charger in the above configuration for a hundred rounds or so and knew I had to make some changes. I quickly removed the factory stock and barrel. I then decided on a replacement. For the Barrel I selected a 10" Bead Blasted Stainless Steel KIDD Bull Barrel. I then sent the receiver, an aluminum trigger housing (that had previously been sent to TT Shooter in Modesto California for one of his Precision Trigger Jobs. It breaks super crisp at 1 3/4 pounds.) and scope base to John Norrell Arms to be refinished in their "Stainless-Steel" Norrell's Moly Resin finish. (The Ruger Charger came with the new Plastic Trigger Housing and Trigger which I put in my plinker 10/22 and used the Aluminum Trigger Housing from that Plinker to have tuned for this Charger.)

I then took the factory Ruger Bolt to my local machinist buddy and he milled the breechface to set the headspace at .043", pinned the firing pin so it can not ride up. I finished the bolt work by chamfering / radusing the rear face of the bolt that the hammer rides against during cycling.

I topped off this Charger with a 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scope with a Fine Plex Reticle and Target Turrets in Silver 1" Weaver Quad Lock Scope Rngs.

My local gunsmith is working on a Custom Stock for me, but it is not finished yet. He is adapting a T/C Contender Grip to a Cut Off / Modified Ruger 10/22 Stock. In the meantime I decided to try a Tactical Innovations REBEL Charger Stock (which is the stock in the photo). Yeah I know I shouldn't have sold the Factory Charger Stock before my Custom Charger Stock was finished but I wanted to try the Tactical Innovations REBEL Stock anyway, besides I am impatient.

CustomRugerChargerattheRange.jpg

Above is a photo I snapped of my Custom Ruger Charger while at the range today. I was actually quite pleased at how the Norrell's "Stainless Steel" Moly Resin Finish matches up with the Bead Blasted KIDD Stainless Steel Bull Barrel.

I had previously zeroed this Charger at the Indoor Shooting Range at 18 yards. Todays goal was to try to determine what kind of accuracy I could expect at 100 yards. I only shot SK Jagd Standard Velocity Hollow Points and Wolf Match Target today and was rewarded with 5 shot 100 yard groups ranging from 1.350". I had one 10 shot group at 100 yards that was right at 2". All in all I was pleased considering this new KIDD Barrel only now has 190 rounds through it after todays range session.

I also spent some time trying out the new Egg Silhouette Rack I just completed.

EggSilhouetteRack.jpg

Each fall our local shooters club holds an egg shoot. We set up 5 chicken eggs at 50 & 100 yards for rimfires. At 50 yards the shooter is restricted to using an optic of 9x or less but at 100 yards there is no restrictions on magnification, anything goes. I decided to build a set of Steel Egg Silhouettes to use for Practicing.

I set the Egg Rack up at 50 yards and set the Burris 3x12x LER Handgun Scope on 9x. Shooting the eggs at 50 yards was fun but got a little boring fast as hitting them with the Custom Charger was quite easy.

I started shooting and hunting with T/C Contender Handguns in 1982. Over the years I have used these types of Handguns for Hunting and Target Shooting and am continously amazed at what these types of Handguns can do. With that said the Charger only seemed natural for me and so far I am not disappointed with my Charger.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yup. I own a dozen 10/22s in different trim, and all but one have stayed in the safe since I bought my first Charger. 100% more fun for all rimfire shooting than a shoulder gun.

JEFraze

Single-Sixer
Well I will be holding off on the charger for a few months. While I was looking at the charger I saw a 10/22 with a factory walnut Mannlicher stock. I have never seen one set up this way before. It was new in the box so I just had to have it.

Larry you have a great looking charger there really like what all you have done with it. Cant imagen what that set you back.

SD Handgunner

Bearcat
JEFraze said:
Larry you have a great looking charger there really like what all you have done with it. Cant imagen what that set you back.

Thanks I think it turned out quite well.

You really don't want to know what I have invested in this Charger. But then heck it's only money.

Larry

Latest posts