Question about the Lipsey's .44 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

single action

Single-Sixer
its pretty snappy with 240 gr. and 24 gr. of H 110 in that size. the grips on mine are not that great and I need to find some better ones, I bet a full load 300 gr. would really let you know you lit one of. Bob

single action said:
I bet a full load 300 gr. would really let you know you lit one off. Bob

In my opinion..., not necessarily. Yep I know there are Buffalo Bore loads and/or home-rolled fire-boomers that would make me a liar. But, I've shot quite a few Federal CastCore 300-grain factory loads in the shorter Super Blackhawks, and have actually found them more pleasurable than many 240-grain loads. The Federal CastCores are very difficult to find, so I recently bought some of these HSM Bear Loads. Similar ballistics on paper, and much easier to find for purchase. Soon as I can, I'll give them a try.

WAYNO.

Pal Val

Buckeye
single action said:
its pretty snappy with 240 gr. and 24 gr. of H 110 in that size. the grips on mine are not that great and I need to find some better ones, I bet a full load 300 gr. would really let you know you lit one of. Bob

True, but I think more of what that bullet will do to is target than what the recoil does to me. You can't argue away Newton's Laws.

Desertdog

Bearcat
Aren't those short-barreled models kind of stout on the recoil? I have 5.5 inch and 7.5 inch
barrel .44 mags, and they still hurt!

TrueAt1stLight

Single-Sixer
I have one in the Bilsey grip frame. Took a bunch of shooting to get it not to shoot 6-8 inches to the left at 8 ft to 25 yds. I finally did get it sighted in and man- did that thing kick my ass. I was shooting 240 grain XTP's over a max charge of H110 and getting 1,325 FPS out of that short barrel. Sure makes a handy packing gun!

Word to the wise regarding buying one sight unseen: I nearly bought one from the Cabelas used gun case until upon further inspection, the grips were extremely poorly fitted. They had a new one in stock and the grips were infinitely better so it came home with me. I also had Rob at Simply Rugged make me a Sourdough Pancake for mine and that thing disappears on your hip!

-John

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
Pal Val said:
dlhredfoxx said:
I just slicked one up for my son's 20th B-day… they are great little guns. PPP

I just saw the pictures. Really fine job!

Thank you Val, he loved it! We're going to take it to the range tomorrow after service. I'll post a range report afterwards.

Foxx.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Lipsey=Bisley Frame
Talo=SB Frame
Correct?

How many Lipsey's were produced? I can't find any for sale.

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
SweetWilliam said:
Lipsey=Bisley Frame
Talo=SB Frame
Correct?

How many Lipsey's were produced? I can't find any for sale.

Correct on the Lipsey's/Talo, no idea how many, but I just saw one (Bisley version) on gun broker right now… Auction # 416637822.

Foxx...

Pal Val

Buckeye
One month waiting for my order. Still listed "unavailable" at Lipsey's. I wonder why distributors catalogue guns they can't deliver. Do they stockpile back orders to hedge their bets on sales?

Jason at Lipsey's

Single-Sixer
Val,

We deliver them as fast as Ruger sends them to us. We don't stockpile backorders. We keep hundreds on order and some models thousands for immediate shipment from the mfg. We have a pretty hefty backlog on many of the popular models including this one so if we get 50 or 100 in its no guarantee all the orders will get filled from that shipment.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Jason at Lipsey's said:
Val,

We deliver them as fast as Ruger sends them to us. We don't stockpile backorders. We keep hundreds on order and some models thousands for immediate shipment from the mfg. We have a pretty hefty backlog on many of the popular models including this one so if we get 50 or 100 in its no guarantee all the orders will get filled from that shipment.

Thanks!

I guess I need to keep my fingers crossed. Makes me wonder who's minding the shop at Ruger. If a model gets sold out so easily, perhaps it's time to stoke up the manufacture. I got curious because the other time I had a gun ordered from Lipsey's, delivery came within the week.

Jason at Lipsey's

Single-Sixer
Lots going on at Ruger and even though we sell a lot of this model, its still a relatively small number in the overall picture. Special runs get made after the regularly cataloged models so sometimes they get pushed back. No fault of Ruger, just business.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger is runnin' balls to the walls and I'm surprised they are still getting out the distributor exclusive small runs at all! And looking forward to the added capacity of the new plant opening.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Pardon the bump. Two months waiting. Patience is the virtue of the wise. How much wiser am I supposed to get?

5of7

Hunter
Pal Val said:
BTW, I would be pleased if this did not become another "What's the best gun to shoot a bear with" discussion. OK?

All I can say is that if I was gonna take on a big griz with a Blackhawk .44 Mg., I would just as soon it was the short barrel version....it is a little quicker to get into action.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.... :lol: