powder particles on work bench

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
My work space is covered in cloth. When I have a few small particles of powder that has gotten away frome and on to my work surface I clean up with a vacuum. Is this ok. Or should I change my method.I had a large piece of marble I used and it covered the entire top of my desk top. The wife confiscated it for her desk.Should I find another hard to for bench to help in clean up?

Last edited:
In the past, I've read some comments against using a vacuum to clean up spilled powder. It's possible to create enough static electricity to generate a spark and there's the problem.
I've only had a minor jingle from a household type 'shop vac' but our big bajillion cubic feet per minute seed vac system will generate a 1/4" spark to ground when running that will really light you up.

Whatever works for you. I wouldn't allow any major buildup of powder in the vacuum though. I get more spent primers than anything. Trying to empty those darn things isn't easy.

contender

Ruger Guru
I just use a small hand brush,, about 2" wide,, and sweep the powder into the trash can. I don't allow any accumulation of powder in the trash,, to prevent the possible flare up of a potential fire.

My spent primers, (which can also have a small amount of unburnt powder, ) are safely captured in a bottle as the slide into it via a tube under my Dillons. None of those get anywhere on my bench. My RockChuckers,, have good primer catchers as well. Very few primers get away around my bench. And those get picked up quickly.

Johnnu2

Hunter
As with all things, I don't reload a LOT at one time. I do clean up (the few) powder granules with my dust buster and then simply flush them down the (basement) toilet bowl (we are connected to sewer systems). Fired primers go in the trash on the day of trash pick up.

J.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
I always work over a cloth. When I am done I role it up and shake it outside. In the past I have found ants on the bench taking the flakes away. What are they doing with it? Hope they know about safe storage!

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Old socks on the shop vac. That is a great idea.That would help finding lost parts in carpet or cracks. I still worry about static. Much of the year we are under 10% humidity. Have spent weeks around 5%. I turn the shop into a swamp when I load. Nothing rusts because it drys out fast when I open the doors. --- More old sock tricks. Old baby socks make great muzzle covers. The ones with Elmo or Big Bird work best :D . Use old nylons or panty hose to strain old paint. Tie knots in them and cut into strainers. I use socks as pistol covers. I spray the inside very lightly with Rem oil. And as slop rags.

I use a shop brush and dustpan for the most part. I generally sweep my shop area,mainly because it's easier to me than dragging in the shop vac.
I have a primer catcher which gets emptied into an old ice cream bucket. They go with the scrap brass when the bucket fills up.
What I hate is when I eventually find that rogue primer, and then I have to figure out what it is.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
I use a cheap small brush and have a small metal dog dish I sweep it into. When I have enough to almost cover the bottom of the dish, I take it outside along with some matches…