Poor Boy Trigger Job

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Try this instead. Works good for my Rugers.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

Leaves no chance of the spring catching.

I actually don't even remove the spring just put a bend in it. Of course I have a gauge to check trigger pull.

Dana

contender

Ruger Guru
I once bought a boxed 357 Maxi from a guy for $275 due to the gun not cycling properly, and hanging up when you tried to cock it. Guess what I found inside? A bent trigger return spring, with one leg off the post. Guess who was VERY happy?
Get a gunsmith to smooth up the action instead of bending things, or unhooking things where binding can happen.

tek4260

Buckeye
Find one of these and don't worry about the other way. The diameter of the factory spring wire is too large along with being under a lot of preload. The only way to lighten it is to bend it to the point that it is "no longer a spring" and is just barely holding the trigger in place.

101_2200.jpg

Olsherm

Blackhawk
There is no "binding" of the spring if you just bend it straight. I have done several and a big help it is. Especially if you take your dremel tool and a polishing wheel and some compound and polish all the moving parts and the main spring strut.Pretty good trigger job i have done on several. However it does not take out a lot of creep if you have that you would have to work on the hammer sear ect.I don't like to leave off one leg of the spring. That feels "yucky"

Pinecone

Blackhawk
All good info above and seconded by this gunsmith. If Ruger had thought this practice was "optimum", then you would be getting new Rugers with a "one-legged" trigger spring! If you don't want to pay for a full blown tune-up then get a trigger spring like tek4260's photo shows....................Dick :wink:

Cowboy Billy

Single-Sixer
:lol: for a 4 buck spring? If you can afford to shoot it :roll: ...... You can afford a $4 spring. :roll: My gunsmith gives them to me. :wink:

357phase

Single-Sixer
SAJohn said:
I have three successes in three tries for the trigger spring bending method on new models.

John
Same here.Just picked up another 4 5/8" super this evening and first thing I did was put a "little" bend in the spring like the Cylinder & Slide article.This is my fourth with no problems.Just make sure your bends are slight and straight.Now that I've bragged,I'll probably have problems next time out shooting but for now I'm very happy how the trigger pull is on my single actions.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I never liked the idea of the uneven pressure with one leg off.I put a slight bend in both legs and tweak till I get the pressure I want.Later,if the spring weakens and trigger pull lessens,I can put it back to original and it's good to go.

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
tek4260 said:
Find one of these and don't worry about the other way. The diameter of the factory spring wire is too large along with being under a lot of preload. The only way to lighten it is to bend it to the point that it is "no longer a spring" and is just barely holding the trigger in place.

101_2200.jpg

Where do you get one of these springs?

tek4260

Buckeye
I believe they were marketed under Trapper springs and Bullseye springs. I have never actually bought a set commerically. My dealer had some in a drawer and I have found some here locally on the forum.

slofyr

Bearcat
Drop in a Wolff 30oz trigger spring. It's shaped like the OEM spring and fits perfectly, but has less tension for a lighter pull.

http://tinyurl.com/3d7oehy

COR

Blackhawk
I use the poor boy trigger job on all of my New Models that don't have action jobs and it lightens the trigger for me, never experienced any real issues. Not so sure on the "wear" but I guess we'll see in about 40 years....

ra

Single-Sixer
I also use the lift 1 leg method on all my New Models and have never had a problem, but I cut the leg off to prevent any hanging up. My Single-Six has worked well for many years and several thousand rounds and never missed a beat. As the difference between replacing the spring or lifting or bending the spring, as long as you have enough resistance to reset the trigger it really doesn't matter. A gun trigger is a simple machine, it doesn't know the difference between a worked over spring or a replacement spring, the only difference is between the operators ears.

Roger