P95 Recoil Spring Collar Loose

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichfinger

Bearcat
As I was disassembling my P95 for cleaning, two parts came tumbling out. On the parts list they are shown s V06203 Recoil Spring Collar Retainer and V06103 Recoil Spring Collar.
parts2.jpg

I cannot figure out how these go back in. Anyone have any helpful hints?

tkarter

Single-Sixer
That seems to happen to some from time to time. It will shoot fine without it but if you contact Ruger I am pretty sure they will send you a new guide rod and spring assembly.

Just keep it orientated correctly and don't sweat it until you get Ruger to fix you up.

tk

NixieTube

Blackhawk
The Collar Retainer looks like a custom circlip that holds the collar on, keeping the springs on the guide rod. From the full diagram there's a groove at the end of the guide rod for the Spring Collar Retainer (circlip).

Either the groove is worn or the circlip weakened and popped out of the groove. You might be able to find one that would work at a good hardware store, but I'd contact Ruger.

If the circlip is popping off the guide rod on its own, it's probably worn out.

whichfinger

Bearcat
tkarter":1bd425c8 said:
That seems to happen to some from time to time. It will shoot fine without it but if you contact Ruger I am pretty sure they will send you a new guide rod and spring assembly.

Just keep it orientated correctly and don't sweat it until you get Ruger to fix you up.

tk

timjo1955a":1bd425c8 said:
It's a common issue. Uncaptured recoil springs do not affect reliability.

Thanks, that's comforting, since it's my nightstand gun. :D I shall call Ruger and see what they say.

nixietube":1bd425c8 said:
The Collar Retainer looks like a custom circlip that holds the collar on, keeping the springs on the guide rod....

The guide rod will not slip through the guide rod hole in the front of the slide with the clip in that groove, I tried. There's also a groove on the inside of the collar that will take the circlip, but I had no luck with that either.

nixietube":1bd425c8 said:
If the circlip is popping off the guide rod on its own, it's probably worn out.

It better not be worn out. I bought it in December of 08 and I've taken it to the range less than a dozen times. I think I'll let Ruger puzzle it out. :wink:

Thanks, guys, for the quick replies!

elderken

Bearcat
I too, experienced the spring collar retainer disappearing act. After reading this forum I called Ruger and was very promptly taken care of. My retainers arrived two days later! No questions or hesitations--even when I requested an extra be included, just in case.

I'm glad I bought a Ruger!

Ken in Yavapai County

"Seeking His mind, sharing His love."

bzzyman03

Bearcat
It is incorrect to state that a Ruger P95 will operate just fine without the recoil spring retention collar in place. True, the weapon will fire, but there is also the possibility that during the recoil movement, the recoil spring will find its way past the small collar reteniton clip, and will slip past it and then protrude out of the recoil rod hole in the slide and jam the gun, which is what happened to me with less than 200 rounds fired through a brand new P95PR. I contacted Ruger and requested a complete replacement recoil rod and spring assembly. I will let you know how they respond. Needless to say, this is pretty much a design flaw if it is a recurring problem.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Mine came apart in my KP944, too and I lost the clip. It wasn't a matter of me putting the recoil spring collar in backwards because I never took it apart in the first place! I have sent a request to Ruger customer service to have a few replacements sent out.

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
Buzzy: My point was only that if the recoil spring collar (VO6103) is in backwards, then there is a much better chance the spring will slip through -- if you did not do it -- then the factory did. That makes sense if you say you did not mess with it.

My earlier post still stands -- the retainer is not necessary -- the recoil spring collar (VO6103) alone would work. It just has to be put in correctly (tight flat-side in -- open side out).

bzzyman03

Bearcat
Thanks Ashlander, I guess I misunderstood your earlier post and thought that you were saying that the collar was not necessary. I agree that the retainer is not necessary to function properly, and I can also tell you, that the retainer without the collar will also work, albeit, with a lower degree of reliability because that is when my coil spring made its way out through the guide rod hole. Thanks for your feedback. I am going to call the Ruger Customer Service number tomorrow and see where my spare parts are in being shipped.

timinwv

Bearcat
Ashlander said:
Buzzy: My point was only that if the recoil spring collar (VO6103) is in backwards, then there is a much better chance the spring will slip through -- if you did not do it -- then the factory did. That makes sense if you say you did not mess with it.

My earlier post still stands -- the retainer is not necessary -- the recoil spring collar (VO6103) alone would work. It just has to be put in correctly (tight flat-side in -- open side out).

That is what I do with my KP95 and KP944. It does take longer to reassemble the pistol than captured springs/guide rod.

gunman42782

Hunter
Funny to find this thread, as I had a fella at the range with this very same problem yesterday. His was a .40 cal, and his came off during routine cleaning. I put it back together for him, and told him to contact Ruger and see if they would send him another.

bzzyman03

Bearcat
I contacted Ruger Customer Service today by phone and they are going to over-night ship a new replacement recoil rod assembly and would like to have my other one back. I asked if this was a common complaint and they said no, but then I added that I had read quite a few blogs that had noted the same problem, and then they said well, it does happen on some of them. Both the Ruger Customer Service and the Parts Department people I talked with were very pleasant to deal with and no questions asked about replacing the part free of charge. I will be curious to see how long this assembly lasts.

edfardos

Single-Sixer
just leave it off. I've shot at least 1000 rounds with a missing retainer clip, and ruger says it's safe and sane without it. Its a convenience thing. The rod is also easier to clean if you can slide the springs off.

edfardos

edfardos

Single-Sixer
just leave it off. I've shot at least 1000 rounds with a missing retainer clip, and ruger says it's safe and sane without it. Its a convenience thing. The rod is also easier to clean if you can slide the springs off.

edfardos

bzzyman03

Bearcat
I guess it needs to be stated "clearly" that there are two different issues being addressed in this thread. One deals with the recoil spring retention clip, and the second is addressing the recoil spring collar. The situation that I described was addressing a missing collar, not the retention clip. So, "just leave it off" is not the answer to a P95 with a missing recoil spring collar since there is a potential for the recoil spring to protrude out of the recoil guide rod hole and bind the slide during the recoil movment and render the firearm inoperable. I hope this clears things up a bit.

Ruger did send me a complete replacement recoil guide rod assembly which normally costs $41 from their parts department and the weapon is functioning normally now in that regard. However, while test firing the same firearm, I noticed that the two press-fit pins that hold the front blade sight in place on the slide were backing out about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. I pressed them back into place and contacted Ruger once again. Their suggestion was to remove the pins, crimp one end of them slightly and re-insert them back into place (without the use of any loctite). I havenot fired the weapon since I reinserted them in the field and will let you know if that was sufficient to keep them from being dislodged by vibration. If I have one more issue with this firearm, I am sending it back to the factory for a complete re-inspection and rework. I like the P95, but so far, I am disappointed with the quality and reliability.

Latest posts