P345 when did it come out and did it have any problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

warfish340

Bearcat
I am looking at buying one of these guns. I found a new in the box "2006" model. It looks really nice but I was concerned about it being a 2006. Did this gun have any KNOWN problems since it has been made? Is there anything I should look out for? The gun is brand new, would you buy it or a 2010 model? Were there any changes over the years? Thanks.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
warfish340":21wsej30 said:
I am looking at buying one of these guns. I found a new in the box "2006" model. It looks really nice but I was concerned about it being a 2006. Did this gun have any KNOWN problems since it has been made? Is there anything I should look out for? The gun is brand new, would you buy it or a 2010 model? Were there any changes over the years? Thanks.

Yes to your first question.
Not sure to your second.
Is it a REALLY good deal? Do you know it has not been dry-fired without mag?
Minor changes to address CLN

Search Click no bang in semiauto forum.

Good start:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... click+bang

See my recent thread about a P345:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... click+bang

warfish340

Bearcat
He wants $400 for it with a couple boxes of unopened Federal Dura-Shox. I appears to not have even been out of the box except to possibly look at the pistol. A collector has it and is selling off some of what he has. How can you tell if its been dry fired in that way?

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
warfish340":2t6h3wyg said:
He wants $400 for it with a couple boxes of unopened Federal Dura-Shox. I appears to not have even been out of the box except to possibly look at the pistol. A collector has it and is selling off some of what he has. How can you tell if its been dry fired in that way?

Others here have much experience with P345s and can help with that. There was just a discussion here not long ago about P345 values.

Al James

Hunter
Is it a decock only? Figure 40-50 worth of ammo puts you at around 350. I would buy it for that especially if its a DC.

Al James

Hunter
Forgot to add, there have been no changes to the design which causes the Click no bang syndrome. If someone doesn't read the manual or better yet doesn't care[ie gun store worker] and dry fires the gun a bunch you can have problems. Look at it this way-if it has any issues Ruger will make it right. They discontinued the DC models in 2006 so they are fairly scarce in comparison to the manual safety models. Slide will read P345D for DC only and just P345 for the manual safety models. Good luck and post some pics of that beauty if you end up getting it. I love my P345D for what its worth.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
warfish340":3qnl3ktl said:
Warfish ... First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, in answer to your questions:
1. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to determine if there is a burr on the magazine disconnect firing pin stop (from dry firing) without disassembling the slide to visually inspect for damage (doubt that the seller will let you do it).
2. If it is truely an unfired pistol ... $400 including the ammo is a good deal IMHO.
For the price, I would be seriously tempted to take the chance. The worse case scenario would be having to send it back to Ruger for repair (which they would likely do at little to no cost to you based on the history of the click no bang issue).

Good luck with your decision!

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Al James":2k01zkkn said:
....If someone doesn't read the manual or better yet doesn't care[ie gun store worker] and dry fires the gun a bunch you can have problems....

That's only in the event that the gun is dry fired without the magazine in place. Otherwise, this gun is more accurate than most shooters are plus the ergonomics are unsurpassed for a stock factory gun at the current price.

Al James

Hunter
desertrat":1g3d111u said:
Al James":1g3d111u said:
....If someone doesn't read the manual or better yet doesn't care[ie gun store worker] and dry fires the gun a bunch you can have problems....

That's only in the event that the gun is dry fired without the magazine in place. Otherwise, this gun is more accurate than most shooters are plus the ergonomics are unsurpassed for a stock factory gun at the current price.

Opps. That wasnt very clear was it. Sorry if I confused anyone. Forgot to add the mag has to be out of the gun to damage the MD while dry firing. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

warfish340

Bearcat
I bought the gun guys. I couldnt pass it up. It was brand new in the box. He was a collector and claimed he doesnt shoot his guys but just enjoys collecting them. There was a gun show here yesterday and the cheapest I found one was $480 plus tax making it over $500. I gave $400 and got the Federal ammo with it. I couldnt pass it up. The only real concern I had was it only had one clip in the box. Everything else was there including the test fired cartridge. A salesman at the gunshow claimed Ruger only puts one clip in the stainless version box but puts two in the black version. Any truth to that? Anyway, I have already fired it a couple of times and really like the gun. Feels very nice to hold and seems to have that Ruger quality.

Al James

Hunter
Good buy! Pics? All P series come with 2 mags except for some of the older black box limited edition guns. Enjoy your new Ruger!

desertrat

Single-Sixer
When I bought my SS P345D about this time in 2006, it came with 2 mags. Either Ruger has changed their policy about the number of mags that come with their new guns or someone kept one along the way.

One way to tell, if I'm not mistaken, is to check the box. If there's an empty molded well where it looks like a magazine should be, then there was 2 originally because they usually furnish 1 in the gun mag well, and 1 in the molded receptacle of the case.

Ljay

Bearcat
Got mine in 07 Its a DC model, I,d say about 300 rounds through it, And not one problem, I did not know they stopped making the DC model, Why?

I would not hesitate to buy another one,

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Mine was made in late 2004...same year they won "Gun of the Year" for the P345. I have never had a fail to fire problem.

Anthony_I_Am

Bearcat
warfish340":2pll0b67 said:
I bought the gun guys. I couldnt pass it up. It was brand new in the box. He was a collector and claimed he doesnt shoot his guys but just enjoys collecting them. There was a gun show here yesterday and the cheapest I found one was $480 plus tax making it over $500. I gave $400 and got the Federal ammo with it. I couldnt pass it up. The only real concern I had was it only had one clip in the box. Everything else was there including the test fired cartridge. A salesman at the gunshow claimed Ruger only puts one clip in the stainless version box but puts two in the black version. Any truth to that? Anyway, I have already fired it a couple of times and really like the gun. Feels very nice to hold and seems to have that Ruger quality.

I bought one new about 6 months ago from a gunshop, new in the box. Only came with one mag although the plastic storage box has places for two.

dondavis3

Bearcat
I think that that is a good price.

I love my latest Ruger P series gun.

I've owned 2 - a P85 Mark II and my current P345

RugerP3452.jpg

The P345 is a wonderful gun and better in every way than the old P85 I had.

jmho

:)