P series parts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
I bet the current SR lasts a few more years.

The rap is unproven so far ... I know i wouldn't buy a new Ruger SA for at least a year after release given their history.

REV

22/45 Fan

Hunter
revhigh said:
I bet the current SR lasts a few more years.
I expect they will. They are decent enough guns, reliable and durable and have all of the modern legally mandated safety "features" like a manual safety, magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator and striker block so they can be sold in nearly any jurisdiction. They are also reasonably low cost to manufacture so will remain Ruger's "entry level" gun for quite a while.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
The P95 is my main gun. I chose it when I had young children and wanted a DA/SA pistol rather than a striker fired. I am in California so the guns for sale here must be on a safe pistol rooster. There are a few other guns on the list worth looking at, but I can only have normal capacity magazines if I owned them prior to 2000. I have a ton of Ruger 9mm mags for the P series. I own quite a few P95s and some spare parts so I think I will be OK for the rest of my life. In hindsight though I wish I would have chosen the Glock 19 and bought mags for it way back then. I have no interest in buying a full sized pistol and only be able to use 10 round mags for it.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I've bought two like new P95's over the last two years (well under $300) and picked up a "parts kit" on GunBroker. IMO superb 9mm pistols; flawless in operation, accurate, and fill the hand nicely for a full sized 9mm without any bells or whistles. I have absolutely no worries that these two pistols will outlast me and then some.

The Preacher

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The P95 is my main gun. I chose it when I had young children and wanted a DA/SA pistol rather than a striker fired. I am in California so the guns for sale here must be on a safe pistol rooster. There are a few other guns on the list worth looking at, but I can only have normal capacity magazines if I owned them prior to 2000. I have a ton of Ruger 9mm mags for the P series. I own quite a few P95s and some spare parts so I think I will be OK for the rest of my life. In hindsight though I wish I would have chosen the Glock 19 and bought mags for it way back then. I have no interest in buying a full sized pistol and only be able to use 10 round mags for it.

It makes sense to stick with the P guns given that those are the only normal mags you'll ever own living out there.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Just adding to my post from above. I would still have a P95 or two, but the Glock 19 would have been my main gun if I had the chance to do it over.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
A lack of affordable mags will always kill any appeal a gun might have for me. During the AWB years I remember one guy getting $225.00 on an auction site for a pre-ban HK P7 mag, whereas you could always get a very good Glock 17 mag for $50.00.

demented

Single-Sixer
P's are the same as older Colt 1911's, some adjustment sometimes needed but afterwards are mostly trouble free. The only problems I've had with any of the Rugers were/are mostly minor problems that came with the pistol when new. usually get those "problems" worked out and you'll never have other issues. I've worn out recoil springs now and then but can recall no other work or parts needed after years of shooting. Part of my current interest in Ruger P's is that they are sadly no longer made and price. I've averaged about 275 bucks each for three 95's in the last fem months, one of those 95's I traded straight across for a P-97. One 95 has a disconnector issue, one needs new recoil springs, the 97 ejector would pop up each time I attempted sticking the slide back on, this I fixed myself with a file.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
demented said:
One 95 has a disconnector issue, one needs new recoil springs, the 97 ejector would pop up each time I attempted sticking the slide back on, this I fixed myself with a file.
That's the show-stopper right there.

demented

Single-Sixer
Actually no it isn't. I contacted Ruger, they are sending both recoil springs. As for the other 95 with the disconnector problem, Ruger has it as we speak, they do have the parts and are taking care of it. I fully expect the two 95's and the 97 to be good to go longer than I will. They just don't break very often. I developed a case of firearms snobbery years ago, suddenly those reliable P's just weren't good enough for me, now I've come full circle, am back with the Rugers and will keep those I have and shoot the heck out of them.

demented

Single-Sixer
Same or better for the same money? What are those? Not to be argumentative but I hope you're not including the SR series in the better class. Best pistol I know for the money right now I think would be the SW SD series and they are running 325-350 here. I certainly wouldn't include any Taurus in the as good or better class, I've had my rounds with Taurus and their so called lifetime service policy.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
demented said:
I contacted Ruger, they are sending both recoil springs.
That's surprising as they have told others the recoil springs are no longer available. Ask for a dozen and make a killing selling the extras! :mrgreen:

demented

Single-Sixer
Well, in the case of the springs, I sent an online request to purchase them, got a reference number and a request from Ruger for my name, address, etc. It sounded like they were sending the springs but to be honest I did not speak FTF with anyone at Ruger. Guess I'll know when and if the springs arrive. Hate to say this but perhaps the standardized request form at Ruger hasn't been told to lie or whatever. IF I do get the springs and IF Ruger has indeed claimed to have no parts, then there's a bit of falsifying coming from somewhere.

Lot of second hand information here... " they said they said" as in Ruger does not support these anymore.... I wonder. I needed the simple retaining ring for the recoil rod/spring assembly and it was no problem to get ... under warranty for free.... actually two... all I had to do was supply the serial numbers for the two pistols....

But here is the counter to the 'dump your p series pistols' folks... Loosing that retaining ring is the only part on any of my p series handguns that has needed to be replaced.... So, if you guys are dumping your 9mm p pistols, please let me know... I'll take em. Only catch is I'm only interested in the decock onlys.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
But here is the counter to the 'dump your p series pistols' folks... Loosing that retaining ring is the only part on any of my p series handguns that has needed to be replaced....
Recoil springs are a maintenance item on any semiautomatic pistol and should be replaced after some number of rounds. I've read recommendations from every 3000 to every 10,000 rounds depending on the gun and caliber. Now, if you don't shoot it much that could be decades and if it's a competition gun that could be every year.

Nevertheless, they do have to be replaced at some point and if the springs are proprietary and unavailable, the long term value of the gun is reduced.

demented

Single-Sixer
Yes and since the 95's have an inner and outer recoil spring, coming up with a "make do" would be difficult. My main reason for picking up the three P's I recently bought are for sticking back somewhere with mags and ammo for one of those "Break glass in case of emergency" situations, once I get them lined out that is. Cheap, reliable, paperless...How can I go wrong?

welder

Buckeye
You can't.

In a SHTF scenario they'd come in handy for family members or friends who may not be as well prepared as they could have been. When the news came out that Ruger was dropping the P series there were several at my LGS, NIB SS version, $309, Blue $289. The SR series was out then and the lowly P's just sat there.....until I came a long. :) Midway and others still had cheap parts available. They showed up for sale at rock bottom prices from individuals locally too. I consider them cheap insurance.

I won't pay the prices I see now though as most are more than I gave for mine new.

So the parts are dried up? Ruger has a few for repair? so you have to go through Ruger to get them? What about when they dry up? eventually they will... what then?

demented

Single-Sixer
Springs arrived today, actually the full assembly, ready to drop in. Also got an email saying my other 95 was on its way back here by FedX. As for what to do in case of needing parts later....At what I've paid for my 95's I can well afford to cannabalize one at a later date if I were to need parts. Never have needed too many parts for P's, these last issues are more than I've had with four or five in the years I shot Ruger's a lot

Latest posts