Ouch! Sticker shock on some odd GP-100's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blueduck

Bearcat
Admit I've been on the dark side playing with Glock for a lot of years so have been out of touch for some time.

Anyway two GP's 100's that I've always had a soft spot for are the half lug adjustable sight GP with 4" bbl, and I've always wanted a 3" GP with adjustable sights, but did not know if Ruger had ever even made one.

Walked itno the gunshop today to look around and spotted BOTH right there side by side behind the glass :lol: Exactly what I had always wanted (well in stainless instead of blue but oh well) but then I noticed the prices $770 for one, $800 for the other. :shock:

Clerk was busy with several other people so I did not get details, were these some special runs or are anything except 4" and 6" guns just priced like that now?

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Just priced like that now, Ruger has really been jacking up prices in the last few years, think there getting more concernd in making stock holders money than making a good quality gun at a good price like they use to sad but looks to me the way their heading, my wages haven't been going up fast as their gun prices, so all I can do is buy less often now.

gunman42782

Hunter
That is way more than they would go for around here. They are over $500 new now though.

Blueduck

Bearcat
Boo... I've been spolied by Glock, $398 LE price without increase since I've been buying them in 2000 (Economy of scales). Honestly I'm not genereally one of those "Back in my day i could buy a "x" for "x" type of guy. Was just shocked, a $550 tag would not have concerned me that bad, in fact I would have walked out the door with either one of them for that.

So are the 3" adjustable sight models a new regular thing, or did I just happen to see a limited run of some type?

COR

Blackhawk
44shootist said:
Just priced like that now, Ruger has really been jacking up prices in the last few years, think there getting more concernd in making stock holders money than making a good quality gun at a good price like they use to sad but looks to me the way their heading, my wages haven't been going up fast as their gun prices, so all I can do is buy less often now.

I love when I hear folks complain about the most reasonably priced revolvers on the market today...the used market has some steals too if you are patient and keep an eye out.

In actual fact the new FT models are very well made right at the $500 or less price point, some closer to $400. A steal in my not so humble opinion. And I don't have any problem with a company making profits. This is still America right?

mattsbox99

Hunter
44shootist said:

Another Gem statement! :roll:

Ruger pays very low dividends on their stock.

Ruger doesn't set the prices on the used market or for guns that have been discontinued for years. The two particular models are uncommon and command a premium. MSRP went up about $10 on GPs this year, thats pretty reasonable and lower than the Gov't COL increase of 2.9%.

OTOH this shop is out of line on the two revolvers. Check Gunbroker for the two and you'll find much better deals.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
3" revolvers are the in thing now so prices are high. Check around and you can find 4" and 6" at $500-$550. Do everybody a favor and leave the overpriced ones in the case.

hittman

Staff member
The new (still in production and on Rugers web site) 3" GP's are fixed sight. You see them all the time on Auction Arms and GunBroker in the $550.00 range.

If it was an adjustable sight 3" GP I think it is rare indeed!

COR

Blackhawk
44shootist said:
Sounds like matt and cor have not been shopping for new guns lately, they would understand other wise.

Yeah that's what it is...I am just out of touch.

I think they are a value and I told you why.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
If I remember correctly someone posted about buying a 3" with adj sights a while back. Several commented that they had never seen one.

Another guy posted that (Talo, Bud's Someone) had a batch ran special not to far back, and he had bought one of them.

I see some used Half Lug 4" guns around. Most are Police/Guard trade ins. All are fixed sight guns.

The dealer probably knows that he has a couple rare limited run collector gun's, and like everyone else want's all he can get for them.

If I were guessing, you could probably stop buy with a stack of $100 bills and get the price down a fair amount. Most dealers mark the tag high for trade purposes. Green in hand generally brings the sticker price down.

Bob

rdf009

Single-Sixer
A 4" half lug adjustable sight model and a 3" with adjustable sights are indeed rare configurations. If these were NIB, then I would also be asking around $700 for them, considering that new cataloged GP100s will run you well over $500 (closer to $600 at some shops I've been to recently). I think this dealer may be a little overpriced, but not THAT overpriced (assuming these guns are NIB condition).

Latest posts