Old Speed Six in stainless locked up hard

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I will be calling to Ruger tomorrow to send my 85 speed six in for repairs. It is dragging along forcing cone and cannot hardly cock it for single action shooting at range. It has been loaded for about 20 yrs + and since I am disabled,I do not own any semi-auto pistols. Just shoot revolvers. Just wondering what could have caused it to lockup. It is in .357/.38 :?: :?: :?: :( :(

contender

Ruger Guru
Have you check to see if the ejector rod has unscrewed? Just an idea. Also, realize that Ruger doesn't have any parts for that model, and may not be able to fix it. Maybe a gunsmith would be a better option. At least a gunsmith won't keep your gun, whereas Ruger might.
Our own member here, RoninPa is a good one on these guns.

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
I believe contender is right on the money. Ejector rod is probably loose. Remember it's a reverse thread so it's left to tighten it.
It could also be excessive end shake but very unlikely, as it seems as though you haven't fired it much.
The only reason I even suggest that as a possibility, is I was having the same issue with a security six. Fixed it yesterday with end shake bearings.
Lastly it may be a bent ejector rod.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
In addition to what has already been mentioned:
Check under the extractor "star" for any unburnt powder or other debris.
I've read of some Six series guns becoming difficult to cock if the screw below the cylinder latch is not tightened all the way in.
9u3foh.jpg

Regards,
Greg

For the ejector rod, just open the cylinder and hold it while you try to turn the rod. It should not turn in either direction. If it is loose, as said, it is a left hand thread so you turn it CCW (looking at it from the front) to tighten it. You can use a pair of pliers on the knurled end but put something (old piece of leather, etc.) around it so you don't mar it.

While it is open, push the ejector rod and hold it down (extractor fully extended) and take a small brush or some compressed air and clean out around the cylinder and the extractor star.

Again while it is open, grab the cylinder and see if it moves any front to back. There should be very little play. Next, with the cylinder open, take a small punch or screwdriver and go to where the cylinder pin (center of the extractor) mates with the frame and push in on the part you see. It should push in easily and you should see the cylinder release move at the same time.

If you see/feel anything out of the ordinary, that is a place to start.

After all that, close the cylinder and cock the hammer just until the cylinder unlocks and you can spin it. Hold it so you can see the barrel/cylinder gap and rotate the cylinder to see if the cylinder contacts the barrel. If it does, then you might need to put some shims in it to increase the b/c gap.

If you can't cock the hammer, you might need to take the gun apart to see what might be going on. The are very easy to take apart and if you have the manual it will explain how to do it. If you don't have the manual, you can get/download it from the Ruger web site.