old Blue Dot handloads - keep or discard?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rjwinz

Bearcat
I've been looking at modern reloading tables for both .357 and .41 mags. They now have warnings about using Blue Dot. Supposedly there can be pressure spikes with magnum level loads, although the warnings indicate that the manufacturer hasn't really explained it in any detail. I have a fair amount of old (circa 1999) handloads using Blue Dot, in various loads, mostly .357, some .41. Should I just pull the bullets and dump them?

rjwinz

Bearcat
Did find this thread on another forum:

http://www.shootersforum.com/warning-notices-recalls/49357-blue-dot-warning.html

Interesting that they would withdraw it only for 125 grain bullets in .357 but then withdraw it for all .41 loads. In an old Paco Kelly article about Red/Green/Blue Dot on sixgunner.com (whatever happened to that forum?) he states that if ever there was a powder made for particular caliber it was Blue Dot for the .41 magnum.

After reviewing that thread I think the prudent thing to do is to pitch the old .41 mag loads. My .357's are 158 grain or better so they should be OK.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I didn't understand the warnings either and I shoot a lot of Blue Dot. Perhaps it has to do with older data. My loads in .41 magnum were always a little under max. with no problems and I never loaded 125gr bullets in the 357 magnum.

rjwinz

Bearcat
Thanks all. Here is the link to the old Paco Kelly article on the Dot powders.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020212162750/http://www.sixgunner.com/paco/pprofile5.htm

I'll pull the bullets, at least on the heavier loads, and reload with a another powder, maybe 2400 or AA#9.

mikld

Blackhawk
What is your history with Bluedot loads? Were your loads safe? I believe there may have been problems with 125 gr bullets in .357, but I'm not sure of all the specifics. I wouldn't pull them, if they were OK to shoot prior to the "warning" I'm sure they would be safe now. While I don't load jacketed 125 gr. bullets with Bluedot in my .357 I do use it with 160 gr. SWC and I have three good loads for .44 Magnum using different weight bullets and Bluedot...

rjwinz

Bearcat
I just found my reloading notes from 2000-2001. All loads used a Laser-Cast 215 grain SWC and Winchester LP primer.

Loads were 11.5, 12.0, 12.5, 12.9, 13.3, 13.7, 14.1 and 14.5 grains. The Lyman reloading data for Blue Dot with a 215 grain lead bullet went from 11.4 - 14.6 grains so it appears I started just above the minimum and ended just below the maximum.

Shooting records indicate the 12.5 grain load was the most accurate although I didn't test all the loads.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I have a copy of the warning. It applies to all 41 magnum bullets but only 125g bullets for 357 magnum.
I once mistook 140 grain bullet dats for 158g bullet data and loaded 11.0 grains of Blue Dot under 158g XTP bullets. Accuracy was fantastic, but I stopped whan I realized that this load produced excessive pressure under varying temperature conditions. It wasn't until later that I realized I had misread the data. I have heard Blue Dot described as "the psycho girlfriend of propellants".
There are better propellants for both 357 and 41 magnums. Like 2400, for example.

RSIno1

Hunter
Has the powder formula changed any since 1999? If they shot fine when you first loaded them I can't see any reason not to shoot the rest.

mikld

Blackhawk
If I remember correctly, the warning was because there was a slight possibility of pressure spikes when using Blue Dot with the .41 mag. and .357 Mag. (with 125 gr. bullets). Alliant never said every load was a Kaboom, just there might be a pressure spike under certain conditions, so, just to make sure (and avoid lawsuits) the warning was issued. Early on in my .357 reloading days, I used Blue Dot under Speer 125 gr. JSN, and prolly burned a pound of powder with this combination. Narry a problem. I still use Blue Dot in my .44 Magnum loads and don't have a 41 so I can't comment there...

Something just doesn't add up! I understand the 125 gr .357 thing with top strap cutting, but all .41 mag and no others? It doesn't make a lick of sense. Either it is a safe powder or it isn't. It is a time tested powder ( though I have not used it), and it seems ridiculous to say .41 mg use ist verboten, all of a sudden!
gramps
PS. Read the link rjwinz gave. It seems the older Blue Dot is Ok. This has something to do with a new batch of powder. Another person felt this was a lab error/Monday AM thing? From a retiree from the industry.

mikld

Blackhawk
Aliant found some pressure spikes during testing of loads in .357 Mag. using 125 gr. bullets. No problems with other weight bullets. Also found pressure spikes with all .41 Mag. loads, across the board. No mystery. The physics of a .357 case pushing a 125 gr. bullet occasionally caused spikes in pressure. Same with .41 Mag. Not every round, not every load...

rjwinz

Bearcat
Got to the range and shot a 100 or so of old .357 Blue Dot loads with 158 gr. SWC and 180 gr. flat nose bullets. No problems of course. 13-15 year old handloads - no misfires. Life is good.