Not Ruger but asking anyway, what do you think of Beretta?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Have wanted a Beretta a long time but can never find the money. Just wondering your thoughts.

Currently I have P-guns and Glock. Guy at work runs CZ and thinks I should try that of course.

Like I said, no money really so just spit balling.

Thanks for the input.

Mike J

Hunter
A couple or 3 years ago ArmedInAz was here on business & I got to meet him at a range here. He was on a mission to check out every 9mm pistol they had out for rent. We shot a lot of different pistols that night. The Beretta was the second nicest we tried. I would say the HK (not sure what model was the nicest). I don't have any experience with CZ so I can't comment on that though they do have a pretty good fan base on this site. Is there a rental range near you. If you start thinking about buying something it might be good to go rent some of the candidates to see how you like them.

roylt

Hunter
Around here ther is only one gun shop and it is really a big box type sporting goods store. Scheels. The only range is a public park. No rental or try before you buy options. I have borrowed from friends / coworkers. My boss actually has a Beretta from the military that I asked to borrow but who knows if he will share. It was his personal sidearm. I have shot a HK in 45cal and it was nice but 3 time as much as my typical gun. I have shot CZ a little. Don't like how small the slide is to grab. Probably sounds weird to a true CZ guy.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.

dhazel74

Bearcat
Hi there roylt,
I have a 92FS and shot many a round thru it with no issues and I would put accuracy on par with a P226 and G17. However,it is heavy full size 9mm pistol.
I am not looking to purchase another Beretta but, if I did I would definatley go with the newer M9A1 version with rail.
Good pistol,good quality, standard sidearm of US armed forces and mags are plentifull.

David H.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
I have never ever seen a jammed Beretta Pistola...I am sure somebody has....but I have never heard anyone say they had seen a jammed Beretta. Key to any semi is does it go bang when you need to hear "Betsy" sing..??

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm not a fan but mainly because the trigger "reach" dimension is a big long for my hand. I'd also like to see them make it in a 4.25" barreled "Commander" sized version.

If you're shopping for Beretta, don't forget to check out the very similar Taurus 92/99 series which can often be had for a lot less money.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I've owned two CZs and liked them a lot. Their grips felt great in my hand as it seem to for most shooters. The slide is narrow since its rails ride inside of the frame, not outside like most designs. That's a feature, not a bug!

As to the Beretta, I've never owned one but have shot them. My chief objection is the size of the grip. I have medium size hands and the 92 was plain too large. Reliability and durability are fine but I couldn't get past the ergonomics.

Snake45

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
CZs...The slide is narrow since its rails ride inside of the frame, not outside like most designs. That's a feature, not a bug!
I think you'll find that the CZ slide is no thinner than the Browning P-35's, which rides outside the frame. :wink:

roylt

Hunter
Thanks guys, I forgot the 1st rule, hold it in your hand before you buy. I need to try on a Beretta.

Appreciate the replies.

Pierow

Blackhawk
The 92FS is something you should at least try. I added the Hogue grips to mine and it feels like an extension of my hand. I find it easy to get back on target and break down is absurdly simple.

Pierow

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have a 92 Brigadier F8 and an 84 BB and they are both solid, reliable pistols. Can't remember either one ever having any problems, and the 84 is one of my most accurate pistols, it looks like a smaller version of the 92 and is vary pleasant to shoot. I also have a Model 21a 22 LR that is dependable with Stingers but not so good with most other ammo, I used to carry it in really warm weather, but now i carry the more powerful and completely dependable Ruger LCP when nothing else will work.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I know that lots of folks love Beretta pistols and absolutely swear by them. However, after experience with the large 92 and the 32 Tomcat...I can only say that I have no interest in having another. The 92 was way to large for me and I liked nothing about he Tomcat. I have looked at the PX4 and it is as thick as a brick and is just not acceptable to me. The bore axis is too high for my liking on the Nano and it has no slide release. So, as far as I can discern, Beretta does not make a pistol that I would buy. In my opinion, this is a decision that only you can make for yourself as guns are very subjective and you may find one that you love.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have two model 92fs pistols. They have been great. My favorite full size 9mm pistol. If you want to own an iconic Beretta the 92 or the military m9 is the way to go. One real advantage IMHO, is that there is a .22 conversion available from Beretta for the 92 which makes for cheap training.

I also have a 21a .22 lr pocket gun, it has been great also. Although I don't carry it anymore. Since I got my airweight j-frame .38 special. Ed

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
For a LARGE full size pistol the Beretta 92 is one of the best. Can the US Military be wrong? But if you have a smaller hand the PX-4 Compact has a serious following.
http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-92fs-inox-made-in-usa/
http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-compact/
These are both DA/SA system pistols.
Geoff
Who needs to visit his local rental range next Wednesday...if he wins the lotto..sigh.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
GA Cracker said:
I have never ever seen a jammed Beretta Pistola...I am sure somebody has....but I have never heard anyone say they had seen a jammed Beretta. Key to any semi is does it go bang when you need to hear "Betsy" sing..??

Well, now you have. When I was looking for a CC weapon a little while back, I took a shine to the PX4c. Saw one in a store and it looked good, and felt great in the hand. I rented one, as I feel it is important to test drive a weapon before buying. It would load fine when manually raking the slide, but would not feed anytime after firing. Took it back to the desk. They thoroughly cleaned it, and I tried it again. It improved. It only failed to feed about 50% of the time.

I know, it was a rental. It didn't look all that dirty, or worn out when I inspected it prior to taking it back to the counter the first time. Feeding problems aside, I found I liked the overall feel and operation of the SR9c much better, and ended up buying one. After about 2K rounds through it, I am still happy with it.

The other issue I had was that when I researched the Beretta, I couldn't find anyone that had good things to say about Beretta customer service. I think I would be very upset to buy a new weapon and have to pay to ship it back to the factory for service to correct a manufacturing defect. The reputation of Ruger's CS is another reason I went with the Sr9C.

I did like the 92 I fired in the military.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Thanks Clovishound. That is the first I have heard of and I am sure there have been many but I just never heard of one before your post. I only own one now and it is one I got from my dad and it is a military 1934 with a lanyard. I have staggard hollowpoints and solids of different brands and tried to jam several I have owned over the years in 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP but never had a failure. They fed and fired all I threw at them. I have never fired or seen anyone fire the PX4 Storm. I am sure there are others that had problems but now I can't make that statement anymore ;)

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
IMHO, the Beretta 92FS is the best looking pistol out there.

Beretta92InoxDesert1.jpg

While the grip is large, there are plenty of aftermarket grips available with thinner fit.
I don't carry mine, it's a range toy, but when I take it out at the range, it's the gun everyone wants to shoot.
Mine's been 100% reliable.

mcoe74

Bearcat
I bought my Beretta 92F in 1987. I really like the feel in hand, great trigger, like the DA/SA, it's accurate, easy to maintain, and it's a joy to shoot. The 92F's full size and weight are the only detractors. I also own a SR9C. It is one nice pistol, different feel vs the 92F. The SR9C is every bit as accurate, feels great in hand, it's versatile with either 10 rd or 17 rd magazine, great trigger, easy to carry, and easy to maintain. I'll keep both for now.

mcgee10

Bearcat
roylt said:
Have wanted a Beretta a long time but can never find the money. Just wondering your thoughts.

Currently I have P-guns and Glock. Guy at work runs CZ and thinks I should try that of course.

Like I said, no money really so just spit balling.

Thanks for the input.
My most comfortable pistol to hold is my FNX 40 and most accurate or I have more round threw it than the others.
I think most people should hold the gun before thinking about buying one. I wish I had with my LCP380 only the magazine extension has saved my little pistol from being wall art.

modrifle3

Buckeye
The 92 or 96 series is one of the best on the market. The PX series may leave you wanting more. I have and own several 92fs models and got to put a px in 9mm through its paces. Nice gun but prone to issues not seen on the all metal guns. The 92 looks and feels the way a pistol should.

I had a pistol replaced and berettas cs was very good.

CZ is second to none in quality and performance.