No star but still a decent deal/Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Strangely enough, I've got a lettered GS-83 NYCPD 3" Speed Six with star produced in June 1988 that shipped to Davidson's in Dec 1988. No mention in letter of shipping to NY but star is stamped on frame. Previous owner was from Arizona near Davidsons.
Might have a case of a not thorough research at Ruger, Likely if they'd looked harder, may be seen that it went to NY, back to Ruger, then to Davidsons. The letters aren't perfect. Their info is at the mercy of whoever is looking up the info,

I'd spend another $10 and include a cover letter asking them if the gun was returned to Ruger by NY and resold.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
That was my theory on my GS-83's history too as no mention as an over run in the letter unlike one NYCPD GF-84 I own that lettered as an over run.The mint condition of the GS-83 suggests it never was issued or carried. It might be worth another $10 to see.

chet15

Hawkeye
That's an interesting question Dad has one that he got from an employee via Rody's that is noted as an experimental hammer ie spurless but in NOT DAO, true double action. These hammers are mentioned by John Hansen in Ruger and his guns IIRC. I still have that gun w. It came with both hammers. Pretty sure it does not letter as that model was never officially made,
Hmmm... Somebody once did a check on a spurless hammer to see if was indeed DAO and it was found that the particular hammer he was looking at "did not" have the full cock notch. Maybe there are different spurless hammers?
Chet15

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I just saw a Model GF-84P on the list of model numbers in Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual Vol #1. The material described as rubber. This makes me wonder if the Grippers on my Service Six are OE. Would they necessarily had the Ruger medallion/insert or could they have shipped with the Pachmayr grip insert?

Hmmm... Somebody once did a check on a spurless hammer to see if was indeed DAO and it was found that the particular hammer he was looking at "did not" have the full cock notch. Maybe there are different spurless hammers?
Chet15
dad's is without a doubt a full single and double action. ( As mentioned in the Ruger and his guns book) The gun came with 2 hammers. The double action is installed in the gun and the other came in the box. Pretty sure it came from Rody's I'll have to dig it out to be sure.But no doubt Jay discussed the experimental hammers in the book

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I just saw a Model GF-84P on the list of model numbers in Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual Vol #1. The material described as rubber. This makes me wonder if the Grippers on my Service Six are OE. Would they necessarily had the Ruger medallion/insert or could they have shipped with the Pachmayr grip insert?
I recall seeing new looking factory Ruger's in the box with what look like Uncle Mike's grips. Never seen or heard of one shipping with Pachmayr grips. Doesn't mean they couldnt have since Ruger now uses Hogue's. .

Latest posts