No market for used Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Morton Co. said:
Most kids I know like their black guns and mine like his. I do like my Glock 9mm's and ARs but my first love is single action Blackhawks and Marlin lever actions as I grew up watching westerns. My kid has never asked to shoot my revolvers, would rather shoot his Glock 19 and 17. I have offered my .45 ACP Birdshead to the boy to shoot but he doesn't bite.

My brother likes shooting my Blackhawks and he's a pretty young 49 year old. I think he just wants to shoot my ammo up.
Brothers are good about that! He must be younger than you?

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I know plenty of us would love to have your gun, but I'd think a fixed sight 44 magnum would have limited appeal to most folks. Not exactly a cowboy cartridge and they'd probably want adjustable sights for a hunting or target gun. That would tend to limit resale.

gak

Buckeye
Rclark said:
Saturated is probably the right word. I know in my case it is. I am at the point where I am looking for 'specific' guns. Period. Takes only a few minutes to zip through a gun show and check each table for what I am looking for. I have my .45 Colt 'Vaqueros/New Vaqueros' for example. Only New Vaquero I 'might' pick up is the .44 Special in 5 1/2" blued/case colored. Again ... specific. Not impulse.

like that for 2 black, plastic handguns
Yep... I have absolutely no interest in 'em. Have a buddy at work and these guns are his cat's meow. Talks HKs, SIG, Glocks, etc.... Not for me.

I want to know about the 5.5 NV .44 Special blued/case colored. Only New Vaquero .44 Specials I know of were a fairly short run of 4 5/8 and 3.75" Sheriff lengths 4-5 years ago--the ones oddly marked just "Vaquero." No case colored. I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong--and details!

To the OP, hang in there...and I just saw you may have a bite! I agree the Vaquero is a niche, but nothing beats it for a camp gun--including the Blackhawks--for a single action afficianado. There still is interest out there--just have to identify/find the right buyer as many have said here.

trapperon

Blackhawk
It seems cowboy action shooting is less popular than it was say 10 years ago--and in gun shops you dont really see many revolvers let alone fixed sight single actions any more. That being said, some days its just the ticket for a FUN range session--that vaquero! Bare bones fun busting rocks using kentucky windage! No sight adjustment worries just shoot your hundred rounds and have fun! I appredciate the simplisity of a fixed sight single action but I think Im getting to be the exception to the rule in gun marketing anymore!

Ron

cowboybart

Bearcat
You're selling it in the wrong place!!! An original model Vaquero will go for bigger $$ out here. The new models are fine for SASS, but the original models are used by hunters/fisherman for grizzly protection. Your gun will sell 100 miles out any side of Yellowstone or Glacier National Parks, it will also sell in AK (most prefer S/S there). A 4 5/8" is a perfect packing size and fixed sights are preferred. If a griz is coming, your not going to aim, your going to point. By the time you get a shot off it will be on you.

As far as show attendance, most people buy/sell right here on the inter-web, rather than go to a show.

cowpoke22

Bearcat
Three50seven said:
I have an original Vaquero with 4 5/8" barrel chambered in .44 mag that I have been trying to sell locally for a few weeks with no luck. Yesterday I took it down to the Indy 1500 gun show in Indianapolis (one of the largest shows east of the Mississippi) and had a hand full of low-ball offers and lackluster trade offers. The Vaquero's that I saw for sale on tables were all $600+, and I would have been happy selling or trading it for $500, but no one would even come close. I know I can post it for sale here on the forum, but I would like to avoid the hassle of shipping it if possible. Am I being unrealistic? Or is the market just that soft? FWIW, the show had the smallest crowd I had ever seen, and there wasn't much buying or selling going on other than black plastic pistols :roll:
SASS wire classifieds. Cowboy action shooters like them.
CP22

Morton Co.

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
Morton Co. said:
Most kids I know like their black guns and mine like his. I do like my Glock 9mm's and ARs but my first love is single action Blackhawks and Marlin lever actions as I grew up watching westerns. My kid has never asked to shoot my revolvers, would rather shoot his Glock 19 and 17. I have offered my .45 ACP Birdshead to the boy to shoot but he doesn't bite.

My brother likes shooting my Blackhawks and he's a pretty young 49 year old. I think he just wants to shoot my ammo up.
Brothers are good about that! He must be younger than you?

He's a couple years younger than me. He likes his Glocks also and doesn't have any revolvers. I just don't know what happened to him, I must have dropped him on his head.

He has a couple sons and they may get the revolver bug but they do like to shoot all types of guns already. All is not lost, at the range last week a late 30's something father was teaching his boy to shoot a Ruger Single Six. He was kind and patient with the boy. That warms my heart.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I grew up with Single Action Daisy bb guns, SA cap guns Brother and I had the Mattel guns that shot the gray plastic bullets with an authentic sounding cap to fire off. My grandsons are going to get an Alpha Bearcat, ( H ), and 1954 Flatgate to shoot first. Ruger SA's all shoot so well. My favorites, for sure.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I grew up with Single Action Daisy bb guns, SA cap guns Brother and I had the Mattel guns that shot the gray plastic bullets with an authentic sounding cap to fire off. My grandsons are going to get an Alpha Bearcat, ( H ), and 1954 Flatgate to shoot first. Ruger SA's all shoot so well. My favorites, for sure.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Well, I have had a considerable amount of interest in this gun just from this thread. I have reached an agreement with one of the gentleman on here and will be trading the Vaquero for a SS 7.5" SBH. Thanks to everyone who commented and took interest!

falrifles

Bearcat
I bought a stainless Vaquero in .45 Colt with the 4.62 inch barrel, shortly after they came out. It had the billboard on the left side of the barrel. I'd have to go through my papers to see what I paid for it. I replaced the Blackhawk style hammer with the later Colt style hammer. I had to have the barrel turned to get it to shoot POA-POI. I filed the front sight down as well as it shot several inches high. Having done all this, it's one of my favorites. My intention was to use this for a back up and self protection against black bears and cougars while deer hunting. It fills that role very well. I would not part with it. Period.

Around 2005, I bought another one just like it. In the "non cataloged" .44 magnum caliber, for the same purpose. The gun I bought was a "clean up" gun. Its serial number is not listed within the serial number range found for this gun's original production run. I paid $695.00 with shipping. This gun had to have the barrel tightened as well and the front sight lowered also. In addition, the cylinder had a couple chambers with reamer marks inside. The factory replaced that cylinder. I will not sell this gun for any price as well.

The original poster tried to sell his gun in Indiana. Are there any large predators in Indiana? Maybe that has something to do with his having a problem selling it. I agree that it would sell better out west or further north. He would have had better luck selling it on Gun Broker. The pool of potential buyers is more vast. I bought the .44 magnum on Gun Broker. It came from a drug store in North Dakota.

My sons will have to draw straws for these revolvers when I pass. Guns are like tools. Different tools for different purposes. A good mechanic has a large assortment of tools. I carry a Glock 43 daily here in St Louis. If I head to southern Missouri deep into the state forest, I'll be packing one of the heavy hitters.

Right now there is an over-emphasis on self protection guns due to what's' going on in our society in general. That doesn't mean that a Ruger Vaquero with a 4.62 inch barrel in .44 magnum is not desirable, or will only bring $450.00.

Someone that needs it will buy it.

IMO, there is always a market for a used Vaquero. The only discussion is the price. The market is soft on many guns these days. Still Handguns make up the majority of sales. But those are mostly plastic guns. Steel guns, Single Action, double action with few exceptions, aren't worth what they were 2 years ago. They just don't appeal to the millenials. You can always tempt one of us older guys if the price is right. Hence the discussion.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I'm the lucky Ruger enthusiast who traded for this Vaquero. It matches my .45 Vaquero. I put the Ruger faux Ivory grips on both. I am proud of this brace! I traded a like NIB 7.5" SS Super BH. I believe both traders are happy. I'm really surprised this piece was not bought before I had a chance. In fact, taking both with me today. My Ruger watch says it's time to shoot!

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
well that is for sure...our youth has become much more soft than my generation...and i am only 49...my nephew will be 23 here very soon...and i am very worried for our country...and yes his friends all think revolvers are odd...God help us all...but i have found that just because u can not sell locally ...these forums are great places to find people like us who truly love these and enjoy sharing them...i grew up shooting just about every kind of gun out there...but i have a very soft place in my heart for old Ruger SA's....as most of you know...God Bless and Merry Christmas to you all...thank u for being here with us all....John