No.1 RSI vs. 1A

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BRLMKR

Bearcat
O.K. everyone,
I've been tagging along just reading for years now and I value EVERYONE's opinion. Finances dictate one or the other. I am seriously looking at either a Boddington or RSI in 7x57 (my absolute favorite caliber!), but I cannot make up my mind. I currently own a 1S in 9.3x74R. Let me know what YOU think, and, if you could, let me know WHY. Thanks!!

bushmaster1313

Bearcat
I assume you would get either in the 7x57.

Since you already have a non-RSI, you owe it to yourself to get one.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
Great cartridge in either platform.

I have a 1A and an RSI. Both are great to hunt with. I like the RSI better. Shorter, cooler.

Since you have a 1S I would go with the RSI.

Corbi

Put a No.1 together for my daughter (.243): RSI action, shortened stock, and Alex Henry forearm. I installed the front sling stud off the lower, front of the forearm at a 45° angle. It turned out even better than I hoped it would. It is a neat, handy little rifle.

rungelli

No-1

Single-Sixer
Got a 1B in 300Win a 1S in 7mmRem a 1H in 458Win and a RSI in 30-06. Handy little gun. I'm certain it's giving up some distance with the 20" bbl but I can make that up with the 1B & 1S. Now if I could find a 1V in 223 my set would be complete.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
rugnelli said:
Put a No.1 together for my daughter (.243): RSI action, shortened stock, and Alex Henry forearm. I installed the front sling stud off the lower, front of the forearm at a 45° angle. It turned out even better than I hoped it would. It is a neat, handy little rifle.

rungelli

If you get a chance it would be great to see a picture.

Corbi

singleshot

Single-Sixer
While both the 1A and the RSI are short, handy rifles. I feel that after owning, hunting and shooting both, that the RSI balances better and swings more fluidly that the 1A.

And as already noted above, the RSI is more classic in its appearance.

BRLMKR

Bearcat
Thanks guys for all the responses. Looks like it's an RSI for me. I can't say I would have been disappointed with either, but truth be told, I was probably leaning a little closer to the RSI. Anyhow, thanks again to all. Now on to my quest!

My first No.1 was an RSI in 7x57.

I was in love with the Ruger M77 RSI rifles and had one in 243 and another in 308.

I decided on a No.1 RSI 7x57.

Such a small and handy rifle.

So elegant to look at.

I was bitten by the No.1 bug at that point.

It was not long after that I came across a No.1 A Boddington in 7x57.

The No.1 has my heart now and my RSI M77 were sacrificed for funds for more number ones.

R1895

Bearcat
We have something in common then! I not only love the Ruger number ones but like you have this nice #1S in 9.3x74R wearing a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33.

It does have company though, in the form of the RSI model you also like and are looking for but, unlike in the 7x57 you want, it's in .30-06. It's wearing a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I love the Ruger Internationals in 30-06, and have several. If you do not own one it is amazing just how small they are. Below one without scope flanked by two Ruger 10/22 Internationals.

I always have one with iron sights and I can fire it with one hand. In heavy brush they are fantastic. I got my first one in the 1970s and after lots of practice and holding rounds between my fingers I can reload and fire this single shot faster than any of my bolt action 30-06 rifles. Short of a semi auto, the only rifle I have that is faster is my Winchester 1895 in 30-06.