Newbie type question BH ejector rod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdrk1111

Bearcat
Hi guys,
This may sound a bit lame but, I just purchased a NM Black Hawk in .45 convertible. Question is when I try to remove the cylinder pin , it bottoms out against the ejector rod and will only come out far enough to remove the cylinder and not the pin itself. I have three single six pistols two in .22 and one in .32 with a 4 5/8" barrel and an old model original condition in . 357 with a 6 1/2" barrel and all four of these the pin comes completely out for easy cleaning. Is this just how .45 colt guns are or is mine in need of some adjustments and if so is it something I can do or is a call to Ruger needed here ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob

hdrk1111

Bearcat
Ok ,thanks guys I did not think I would have this issue with 5.5" barrel , but if it is normal I can live that , just makes cleaning a bit different. Again thank you.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's normal for any barrel length on a large frame except the 10"/10 1/2" barrels that have a 1" longer ejector rod and housing.

The barrel length has nothing to do with the pin being "captured", it's the length of the cyl window on large frames relative to the ejector rod length from the front of the frame.

All large frames (with exception above) pins are too long to come out.

Here'e some ways to fix that:

1. Take 3/16" off the front end of the cyl pin, recurve the end and touch up with cold blue.

2. If your pin has a collar on the cyl pin front end, get a post 2012 large frame pin w/o the collar. Still have to shorten it but it gives you more pin to grab to pull it out. And you keep your original pin un-modified. Ruger will send you a free one if you call Cust Svcs.

3. Install a 5" ejec housing. You'll love the extra stroke length to get Colt cases all the way out of the chambers.

.45 Colt 5 1/2" Large frame Vaquero with extra long 5" ejector rod. You have to drill and tap a new attachment screw hole and cut 1/4" off the back of the housing to fit flush with the barrel muzzle:

medium800.jpg

lolbell

Single-Sixer
All of the Hunter Models with 7.5" barrels will also come out w/o removing the ER housing