New user, question on purchased SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Filament

Bearcat
Hi all, new user here and first time firearm owner. Still learning about guns in general. After drooling over the SR9 for a couple months, I decided to take the plunge and buy it. Bought it brand new at my local FFL dealer, bought it home and took a look at the contents. I looked at the manual, and oddly enough, the pages aren't in numeric sequence (It goes from page 2-4-7-19-15-20, etc).

And when I picked up my gun to take a look at it, I noticed that there's a gap in between the slide and the frame, exposing the spring. Pic is below where the red arrow is. Is it normal to have that gap?

IMG_0496a.jpg

If I squeeze the two together, then the gap closes, but then opens back up when I stop squeezing.

IMG_0501.jpg

Hitides

Bearcat
Mine is just like yours it has 2650 flawless rounds through it. Go out shoot and enjoy it.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
I have an SR9c and there is a small gap on mine, however I cannot squeez it closed. The 9c may not be the best to compare with but I'm sure others will soon chime in with more and better info.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Does the gap affect proper function of the pistol?

Here is the electronic version of your manual:

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/srSeries.pdf

Be safe,

boomer 8)

A

Anonymous

Good idea to ask. And this is the right place, lots of knowledge here. Not mine, BTW, but I come here to gain that knowledge.

Al James

Hunter
Looks like you have a version 1.1. Do a search here for differences between the 1, 1.1, 1.2. Check out Jhearn's sticky at the top of this forum for more info. Enjoy!

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the 2nd Amendment.

Very normal. 4200 rounds through mine and the gap hasn't gotten any bigger. :D

Might want to go take an NRA Basic Pistol class or equivalent and get some formal instruction. It lays a good foundation for better and safer shooting.

Cheers.

Filament

Bearcat
Al James said:
Looks like you have a version 1.1. Do a search here for differences between the 1, 1.1, 1.2. Check out Jhearn's sticky at the top of this forum for more info. Enjoy!

v1.2 has the D shaped mag release button right? Mines has that :)

Once again, thanks guys for all the info!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, it's a V1.2, just like mine. I also have the same gap there, it's normal. In addition, the rear of the slide will compress down to the frame slightly when dry firing without a magazine, but doesn't do it with a magazine.

It functions just fine and obviously is normal.

Al James

Hunter
Filament said:
Al James said:

v1.2 has the D shaped mag release button right? Mines has that :)

Once again, thanks guys for all the info!

Yes, after looking at the pic again it is the D shaped [1.2] This morning with my office window blinds open there was a glare on the screen and it looked like the original roundie. And also the takedown pin looked liked the original as well but after looking again you can see it is the newer version its just shadowed. Sorry for any confusion! :oops:

Glad that you got the newest [best] variation.

BulkAmmo

Bearcat
Everything looks normal to me. Best thing you can do now is get it out and shoot it.

Welcome to the site and congrats on owning a firearm.

Yawn

Blackhawk
209Man said:
Yeah, same on mine :D

2011-06-30103140.jpg

Since the question of this thread has been answered, I will highjack the thread for a moment... do you like the stingray laser? Is it pretty accurate?

209Man

Bearcat
Yawn said:
209Man said:
Yeah, same on mine :D

2011-06-30103140.jpg

Since the question of this thread has been answered, I will highjack the thread for a moment... do you like the stingray laser? Is it pretty accurate?

I just got it sighted in, i used a bore sighter and just adjusted the stingray to that. I'll be going to the range soon to try it out.

Yawn

Blackhawk
let me know how your range trrip goes... are the controls pretty ergonomic?