new to forum, just got a Ruger No 3 45-70

Help Support Ruger Forum:

timber_cruiser

Bearcat
Hi, I just received a Ruger No 3 from my father. It is a 45-70 caliber with "made in the 200th year of American Liberty" on the barrel. The rifle is in good shape. I do not think my father shot it very much.

I was wondering if anyone had a general idea of the value of this rifle. Any advice or information would be appreciated!

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Congrats-it's priceless cause it is a gift from your father and should be passed on to your son/daughter/nephew and ect.

And most #3s in 45-70 haven't been shot much-look at that steel carbine buttplate.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't collect stuff just to be collecting, but as material things go, I would consider a "200th year" Number 3 in 45-70 to be somewhat of a treasure......and even moreso if it once belonged to my Dad. Not so much that I wouldn't also put it to use though, because I certainly would.

What's your's worth, ya ask?.....I dunno....depeneds on how ya look at it.
T'were it mine, and had it been my Dad's, it would take a lot more than just a pile of FRN's to talk me out of it......but....I aint you. If you want to establish a price range for yours, look around the auction sites for what simular rifles are actualy selling for. That'll get you in the ball park.

DGW

timber_cruiser

Bearcat
Hawkeye & Single-Sixer, Thank you for your replies. I do plan to hang onto this rifle and pass along to my sons. Especially since it came from Dad. I need to study the caliber ballistics and figure out what game it is best suited for.

thanks!

picketpin

Buckeye
$600 on the low end $750 if you have some time t wait. The 200 year inscription was on every gun made by Ruger in 1976 so isn't really rare. I do not pay any premium for it when buying #1s or #3.

The 45-07 is the most common #3. So unless it has far better than usual wood thats the ball park range. IA guy that collect "Liberty" models MIGHT give a small premium on it due the making but you'd have to find that collector.

On the other hand I have my dad's sporterized 1917 Eddystone Enfield 30-06. He built it right after WWII. He would explain at length why he chose the Enfield action over the A3O3. He hunted with it when I was a kid and huned with it and little else right up till the time he died. There simply isn't enough money in a pile to buy it from me. What it's worth, to anybody but family $250. Within the family, "priceless". ;-) If this was something your dad hunted with and enjoyed I put it in that group.

On the other hand if your dad is like me and owns a BUNCH of rifles and this is just something he picked up along the way, you might look at it differently. They aren't ALL special just because dad owned it if he owned lots and this one has no "history". IMHO.

Ross

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Just wanna reinforce that the value should be in that it was your father's and the actual monetary value were it on a table is moot. Were it at that point, I believe picketpin is about right with the $650-750 numbers. Also agree that the whole "200th year" aspect adds little to nothing.
As for the ability of the gun…it can easily be loaded with some HOT loads but be it hot or standard it's a very capable carbine on most, perhaps all game in N. America if the shooter's ability is there. It is a bit of a kicker on the shooter so go into it knowing what to expect.
Most importantly enjoy it and the history of it. :)

G2

Hunter
Just shoot these and they will kill anything in the lower 48 and won't beat the hell out of you.

Anything more than 300 gr standard loads tend to let you know you shot it :shock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/884852/remington-express-ammunition-45-70-government-300-grain-semi-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

m657

Buckeye
There's a raft of books out there detailing various loads from bunnies to dragons for the 45-70. A very useful caliber in a very handy package.