New sr9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PlaythruChazfar

Bearcat
Hello everyone I just purchased a sr9c and was given lellier & Bellot shells when I purchased it are these shells any good or what else should I buy?
Any thing else that I could learn About the sr9c that would prevent problems
And I am a complete novice so thanks in advance.

BrittB

Single-Sixer
They are fine. Just clean the gun very well before you go shoot it and then go have fun! :D

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Read my explanation of removing the striker and cleaning it and the tunnel here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=136765

That ammo is fine. Get a few boxes of some inexpensive target practice ammo. Winchester White Box, Reminington UMC. Personally, I only shoot brass cased ammo.

Do a thorough cleaning before the first range trip. Get all the shipping grease off. Go shoot. Don't get worked up over any malfunctions until you hit 500 rounds. Clean the striker and its tunnel every couple hundred rounds.

Be aware this is a polymer framed compact gun. The fram is light and the recoil spring is strong. Keep a tight grip. A loose grip can result in malfunctions. This is called "limp wristing" and causes too much recoil energy to be expended from moving the gun in your hand and then not enough goes into moving the slide back.

Search here for SR9c and slide stop. The latest version of the owner's manual describes the procedure for loading and reloading. The method described is commonly called "slingshotting". When new, it is very difficult to release the slide from the locked position by using thumb pressure along on the slide lock lever. This is normal. On my gun, after 900 rounds, I could release the slide with my thumb on the slide lock lever. I am not advocating this. However, I have not seen anything published by Ruger saying doing so is detrimental to the gun.

Search here for SR9c peening. I had a small amount, but it was very minor and stopped growing after about 300 rds. I dressed it with a fine stone. I am not at around 5000 rounds and very happy.

Congrats on a fun gun that shoots nicely.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
Regarding the SR9C, my only suggestion is to state that for concealed carry or for important Home Defense (and 100% problem free feeding), load your new gun with CorBon PowRBall 100 grain 9mm +P ammo.

Don't waste your money on other self defense rounds like I once did until I learned from a group of pros, that the aforementioned round is --> "THE BEST".

Love my SR9C ! Good luck with yours.

Haz