New SR1911 flaw/burr inside slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WolfK33

Bearcat
Hi all,

last week I managed to fulfill a dream and get a SR1911.

dscf1846c.jpg

dscf1850d.jpg

I didn´t have a chance to test it at the range so far, but when I field stripped it to give it a good cleaning (additional test firing required to get the german proof marks) I found a little, well I don´t know the right word, a little "mark" or "burr" inside the slide.

As this is my first 1911 (got a Glock 19 Gen4 and had a USP .45 and a USP Expert 9mm before) I´d like to ask you folks if this is any problem to function/accuracy/safety of the gun.
If it´s just cosmetic it wouldn´t bother me very much, I´d like to keep the gun as sending it in to Ruger through the german importer would be too much of a hassle.
Giving it back to the importer to get another one is probably not an option as I didn´t order it through the internet but bought it directly there so it was my own stupidity to not field strip it but only examine it from the outside before I bought it...

Here are some pics:

dscf1871g.jpg

dscf1870g.jpg

Looks almost like the Kellog´s Conflakes-K, lol :wink:

So, what´s your opinion on this ? Forget about it and have fun shooting it ?

Greetings,

Wolf

nekvermont

Buckeye
I'll take a guess and say it is from a rockwell hardness test. See the other hole to the right? Looks like the one on the left slipped.

JET AV8R

Bearcat
Congratulations on your new SR-1911. Mine has a similar mark, probably has something to do with the manufacturing process. See how it shoots. If it functions as intended I would not be concerned just enjoy your pistol. Mine works great with no problems.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I just went and pulled the slide on my SR1911 and I have no tooling or marks of any kind in this area. That being said I seriously doubt this will have any affect on the performance of your pistol.

Enjoy.

Wolf I'm curious are you able to keep the pistol at your place of residence. Are you restricted to designated ranges.

shoot straight and shoot often

WolfK33

Bearcat
Thanks everybody for your answers. So not every SR has it, but it can happen and most certainly doesn´t pose a problem.
Great, now my blood pressure can come down again and I can look forward to shooting it ;-)

@ guidedfishing:

Yes, I can (still) keep my guns at home but I have to store them in certified gun safes, "Class A" (some stupid Euro-Norm-stuff) for long guns, the cheapest ones for 5 rifles about 175 Euros, class B (higher than A) for pistols and revolvers. Guns and ammo may not be stored in the same safe, except it´s a class 0/1/N-safe, starting at about 700 Euros. Noone without a gun license may have access, not even your wife. So home-defence is practically impossible. Since about 4 years ago authorities have the right to check if your guns are safely stored without prior notice, which is pretty "funny" as to enter the home of drug dealers and other criminals they need a search warrant...
Our "Social Democrat", "Green" and "Left" parties are trying to change the gun law all the time, they want to ban guns in general and those that are not banned right away should be stored not at home but at sportshooting clubhouses...so stupid.
Thank god right now those parties are not part of our federal government, but we have elections in September and we fear they might have success...
In some german states where they form the state government they tried to raise a "gun owning tax" of up to 300€ per year and firearm (!) but they didn´t succeed as it would´ve been unconstitutional because here the gun law is a federal law, there are no state or county gun laws.

And yes, for shooting we are restricted to designated shooting ranges. The only exception is for hunters, we may zero in our rifles with a few shots in the area we are allowed to hunt in.
So even if someone owns a big stretch of land he may not shoot there. He could try to get a permission to build a certified shooting range there but he probably wouldn´t get one, this country is sadly very anti-gun...

Any other questions about our stupid gun law I´m glad to answer, although my blood pressure would go up again ;-)

Greets,

Wolf

Cholo

Staff member
Welcome to the RF WolfK33. With your fine attitude you'll fit right in here. Just tell people that the gouge is a German proof mark. People in the US pay a premium for those :wink:

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Mine has what look like a "Y" approximately half way between your "K" and the punch mark. Seen simular marks on others, must be something from manufacturing.

OnTheSide

Bearcat
Mine has a mark like that also. I thought it was a slip up by the machinist, but maybe the stamp means something.

Interesting export markings.

jimk60

Bearcat
Well, you made me go look.

In the same approximate position, I have a number 1, without the bottom crossbar. Used my magnifying light to verify that it was a genuine number 1 rather than a random scratch that resembled a 1.

If you examine your excellent blow up, you will notice that yours also appears to be a number 1. Possibly stamped twice, or miss-stamped.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
No marks on my slide at all.
I bought it in Prescott right when they came out 2 years ago.
Wouldn't bother one bit if it did have the mark.