New Owner of a GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

killowatt59

Bearcat
Took my new GP100 out for a shoot this weekend. I loved ever second of it. I shot a box of Blazer .357 and a box of .38 +p UMC. That gun handles well, had no problems drilling the target at the 7-yard CCW range. Hitting the head was a little tougher. I couldn't hit our metal target we set up from 25 yards, but I guess I just need some practice. I need to be more consistent. But I loved the gun!

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
killowatt59 said:
Took my new GP100 out for a shoot this weekend. I loved ever second of it. I shot a box of Blazer .357 and a box of .38 +p UMC. That gun handles well, had no problems drilling the target at the 7-yard CCW range. Hitting the head was a little tougher. I couldn't hit our metal target we set up from 25 yards, but I guess I just need some practice. I need to be more consistent. But I loved the gun!

Sounds like you had a good trip. You have a great gun and hope you have many many more good times with it in the future. It really is a gun that will do most of the chores one could ask of a handgun.

Dan

streetshot

Bearcat
Sax.45 said:
you won't hurt your gun with any .38 spec factory ammo. Or any .357 factory ammo. The GP !00 is bult like a tank. If you shoot mostly .38 ammo just clean the cylinder so you don't get the carbon ring in the cylinder from the shorter .38 case. Don't buy any ammount at one time. Try one brand at a time and try it. Sooner or later the gun will tell you what brand it likes. I don't know about Georgia Arms, I load all my ammo. I would recommend factory fresh ammo.

I have a brand new blued 6" GP100 and I love it. Right out of the gate I've been shooting .38 spcl. factory ammo and it seems with three different brands the gun likes them all. The question is how to remove the carbon ring that has formed in the cylinders? I've cleaned the gun after its' first range day and it is quite pretty except for these rings in the cylinders. I've read that bronze brushing works well but I confess being a bit concerned that bronze brushing might mar the surface.

So what is the consensus of the group...what techniques work best to safely remove the carbon rings left by .38 spcl. ammo in the GP100?

My thanks for a fantastic forum!

wolfee

Blackhawk
I share your concern about scrubbing with bronze, but it MIGHT be the only solution. The chamber rings from a 38 in 357 can be stubborn. Start with a stiff nylon brush of correct diameter and Hoppes solvent. Also, use an oversize patch made of the synthetic stuff that is slightly abrasive. I think most Hoppes are that kind now. Just avoid anything that is pure soft cotton until you are ready for the last dry patch.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
streetshot said:
I've cleaned the gun after its' first range day and it is quite pretty except for these rings in the cylinders. I've read that bronze brushing works well but I confess being a bit concerned that bronze brushing might mar the surface.

So what is the consensus of the group...what techniques work best to safely remove the carbon rings left by .38 spcl. ammo in the GP100?
Bronze, or even stainless steel, bore brushes are much softer than the cylinder and will not hurt it at all. I have a 21 year old S&W 686 that has over 15,000 rounds through it, almost all .38 Specials. Its cylinder has been cleaned with stainless steel bore brushes hundreds of time with absolutely no problems, wear or damage. Even with all of that .38 Special use, .357 rounds chamber with no difficulty. I do clean the barrel only with bronze brushes but that's more of a precaution than a necessity.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
congratulations. I think you'll really enjoy your new gun. I know I enjoy my GP100 s/s w/6". Can't add much to what's been advised, go and shoot it!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
You can pick up a pistol cleaning kit at most sporting goods stores for less that $10. A couple patches through the cylinder chambers and bore is all that is needed. I also like to spray a drop or two in any opening and cylinder hinge point using Rem oil or the like to make sure those areas are not dry. A couple drops around the cylinder latch and down the hammer area will work their way into the trigger group.

I have 5 GP100`s and will be buying one more,the 10 shot .22, as soon as they become available. A finer revolver will be hard to find IMHO.
Enjoy!

streetshot

Bearcat
Sincerest thanks to all, I'll get a bore brush, go gently and continue to be happy with the GP100. Very helpful!