New LC9 thoughts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
Got one today, didn't have time to clean and shoot, so this is somewhat limited.
Might be the most stylish auto Ruger makes. It has eye appeal, if that matters. And it does, to some.
Grip (sorry there is nothing there to constitute a stock) is very thin and deep, sort of like latching on to a 1" X 2" board. With contouring. Sharp, almost abrasive checkering, but will be usefull when the sweat starts.
Trigger pull is similar, but better than, the LCP. Stacks a bit, but the key is to pull all the way through. Great reset. Pretty decent, overall. Might have to do a JB Weld overtravel stop.
Slide release is awful, at least on this gun. Will have to get out the baby files, and wear the skin off my right thumb until it is acceptible. At least there is one.
Takedown is quick and simple, need a poker, though.
Sights are really nice for this price, dovetail front, adjustable rear, with the correct Allen wrench. Dots are white and bright.
Magazine release is borderline stinker. Need perfect placement of thumb to get it to drop. Understand if it had a higher profile, it might get released prematurely all the time, but..............
Manual safety. May be tits on a bull, but is easy to engage/disengage, perfect placement too.
Magazine is made in Italy.............OK. Must be a reason. A Beretta connection?
"Loaded when up" Well, so am I , but I don't have a sign on me. The aperture that S&W uses is so much better ( look into the hole, see the brass, except when the brass is not so bright) OK , I get it, it is just fugly.
Overall inspection grade: A-
The slide and magazine releases seem subpar, but this gun has a lot going for it.
Now, let me see about how it does with bullets.

claimbuster

Single-Sixer
Have about 150 rds. through mine so far and it is two weeks old. Like it more each time I take it out. It sure is becoming my regular warm weather carry gun.

A

Anonymous

I had considered one, but went with the SR9c instead. It's not that much bigger, but offers more for nearly the same money. They aren't directly comparable, but they are somewhat.

I may still get one down the road if I feel the SR9c is still too big for CCW.

Jer75

Bearcat
I'm betting you'll end up being like Claimbuster and like it more the longer you own it.

I'm closing in on 800 flawless rounds and I can find no faults with mine at all.

I just learned not to shoot it along side the SR9c is all...

But if I line up the take down pin and the slide cut-out my pin falls out when I tip the gun over. So I'm guessing your days of needing a poker will be short too.

I don't think Ruger actually designed the slide stop to be a release, but I know a lot of folks are getting them to function like one after awhile. I watched a Hickok45 vid and noticed he was getting it to operate as a release.

I even sorta like the loaded round indicator, though it could be a little smaller... I think a guy could feel it in a low-light situation and know for sure you're hot, whereas a cutout or peep-hole that you have to look through probably wouldn't do much good in that kind of situation.

But I know some guys who don't care for it have filed away some of it so it's not so BIG.

Hope you have as much trouble free fun shooting yours as I do mine!!!

Lateck

Single-Sixer
black029 said:
Grip (sorry there is nothing there to constitute a stock) is very thin and deep, sort of like latching on to a 1" X 2" board. With contouring. Sharp, almost abrasive checkering, but will be usefull when the sweat starts.

I like your description!!! :D
I had to sand down the backstrap on mine (hands are sensitive.)

Lateck,

cowboydave

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:
black029 said:

I like your description!!! :D
I had to sand down the backstrap on mine (hands are sensitive.)

Lateck,

I had to sand down the frontstrap on mine. When the gun recoiled the
checkering ate into my fingers. A little fine sand paper took care of it.
Dave

claimbuster

Single-Sixer
Jer75, I too am starting to like the loaded round indicator; however, as you said, I wish it was just a little smaller.

Over many years, I've carried a commander length 1911 when wearing winter clothes and a j-frame S&W in summer months. At the rate I'm going, the j-frames may be put out to pasture. :)

Been using this DeSantis IWB holster so far and I really like it.

P1000830.jpg

Stratoblaster

Bearcat
Some comments here from a new guy to the forum. I just got the LC9 and its exactly what I've been looking for. I hold a CHL and I've carried my 1911 govt or S&W mod 60 with very limited success in the past...they're fine in colder weather and with heavier clothing, but in summer clothing they just can't be reliably concealed. I've been carrying the LC9 "felony style" for about one month, jammed under my waistband at the "Levis" patch, and under a stout 1 3/4" belt...I hardly know its there and its secure and totally hidden under a light summer shirt, although I'm waiting on delivery of a DeSantis IWB holster...it better work or I'll be back to "felony carry" ;)

A couple items; I've seen some criticism of the thumb safety and Ruger asserts that this gun was designed in response to shooters' requests. Personally, I like the thumb safety, and I think anyone who has spent time with a 1911 will probably agree with me...they're probably the ones who requested it. I also like the narrow aspect of this gun for carry...less than an inch thick in a 9x19 pistol is great!

A couple quibbles...I don't like the mag safety/disconnect, and feel that this was added as a sop to "safety" regulations in places like CA. Same with the loaded chamber indicator...hey, if you're carrying a gun without knowing whether or not the chamber is loaded, IMO you should not be carrying a gun! I'm thinking of removing this on my pistol...not sure what to do with the mag disconnect, but I'd like to disable that as well if it doesn't hurt function. People shouldn't rely upon things like this...just makes one mentally lazy, and that's no way to be when carrying a firearm...

I also noticed that the external extractor is not very well fit into its slot in the right side of the slide...looks sloppy and is liable to allow intrusion of dirt. As noted elsewhere here, the rounds nevertheless popped out with authority. The slide to frame rails fit is very nice and tight.

As to function...flawless so far, although only about 70 rounds through it so far...50 fmj and 20 or so jhp. In spite of its relatively light weight and short bbl the gun was not unpleasant to shoot at all and was reasonably accurate at defense ranges, although the long trigger will take some getting used to.

I've been wanting a gun like this for YEARS, that will fire a service-level round and still fit flat into the front pocket of cargo shorts or on my 4 oclock without trying to pull my pants down! Oh, and one that won't break the bank...paid $309.00 at Fred Meyer of all places! "Lets see, milk, butter, eggs, dog food, firearm, soda..."

Nice job, Ruger!

black029

Single-Sixer
Hope to get out today or tomorrow and run 100 or so rounds through it. Might heed your words and take some 400 grit with me.

I would now advise against it... went to the range with 50 rounds the first time, then returned yesterday with 100. You could blame me for handling the gun wrong but somewhere after 60-70 rounds the trigger guard was really starting to wear on my trigger finger. I lost a couple layers of skin by 100. Don't be mistaken and think I'm very inexperienced... I was landing some good shots, the little gun is just a bit rough after a while and clearly not designed for a full day at the range. If you do spend 100 at once please let me know if you had the same problem whatsoever. I am still learning to handle this particular gun which is slightly awkward for my large hands/long fingers, so I'd be interested to know if I could improve my grip somehow.

Regardless, I'll be sticking to 50 rounds with the LC9 from now on.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
There are some interesting information around here, concerning LC9. I'm thinking about getting one, ever since it appeared on Ruger website and I've been waiting to see someone importing it to my country.
Now it's confirmed that my favourite local gunshop will receive them in mid August and I have one forespoken - to look, handle and buy, if I like it.
Are there some issues I should be aware of when I choose between several pieces?
I mean, one thing is how does it sit in my hand, how I like it etc., but I'd like to hear some technical facts and possible problems I could avoid, picking a good piece. It's quite a pain to complain about a deffective gun and shipping it back overseas.

I've noticed people mentioned extractor placement and fit around here. Also, some say the trigger pull is good and smooth (while long) on their gun, some say it's terrible - so I guess I should check that, too.
What else?

GaryT

Bearcat
I took mine out today for the first time. I've had it for a few weeks, just didn't have time before. When I brought it home I cleaned it and lubed with Slide Glide. I took it to the range today with 100 rounds of UMC 115-grain FMJ. I still only have the one mag that came with it, so it took awhile to get 100 rounds through it, but they were all flawless, and shot to point of aim at 7 and 10 yards. I didn't find the checkering abrasive at all, nor did I find the recoil to be a problem. If I'd had more ammo with me I'd have gladly put more rounds downrange. I don't believe in using the slide stop as a release, so that was a non-issue for me as well. Trigger pull was excellent for DAO.

I'm not a fan of the bill board loaded chamber indicator, but I can file that down so it's not so obtrusive. It doesn't affect the shootability at all, it's just...ugly. I also don't like the mag disconnect, and will probably remove that when I'm more comfortable with a detail strip, but it also doesn't affect how the gun shoots.

As reported, I shot 100 rounds through it today at 7 and 10 yards...all shots were on target, and, although this is by no means a tack driver, it is more than adequate for self defense purposes. I think the hundreds of dry-fires that I did before taking it out helped me with trigger control, as I had no problem with the trigger.

This one is a keeper...once I find "the right" holster, this will be my constant companion come November 1...

black029

Single-Sixer
I too, finally got to shoot multiple rounds through my gun, 50 of Blazer Brass, 50 of Remington ball, and 20 of Win 147 gr HPs
All went downrange without a hitch. Somewhat stiff recoil, afterall it is only 17 oz, but very manageable. First 20-30 rounds on silhouettes looked like a buckshot test, but 10 minutes and some muscle memory later, it was more like baseball/softball clusters at 7 yards. It will never be the same as my 38 oz CZ75, or 24 0z M&P Pro, but not going to be trying to hide those guns on me, either.
A real bonus was that the "slide release" actually did release the slide very easily with a full mag in place, must be the pressure of the mag spring pushing up on the slide, making the release very easy. Sans cartridges, I need my off-thumb and much pressure to release the slide

Overall, this might be one of the most impressive auto pistols Ruger has ever offered. It is light, reliabe, accurate (within the limitations of the trigger, which makes it a bit hard to shoot to pinpoint accuracy, but which also makes it more safe than any Glock or other striker fired auto), and is no wider than a Fudgesicle. 8 shots, and fast follow ups with back up mags.
For $350...........more or, in my case, less.

A

Anonymous

The loaded chamber indicator, while has a purpose, is utterly retarded as it comes from the factory. Nothing on earth needs to stick up that far.

I filed both of mine down considerably on my SR9 and SR9c, so that they are still functional, but not retarded any more. I'd say mine are maybe 30% as high as before, less than half for sure. It took my only 15 minutes or so to "fix" them.

IMG_2044.jpg

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
GaryT said:
I took mine out today for the first time. I've had it for a few weeks, just didn't have time before. When I brought it home I cleaned it and lubed with Slide Glide. I took it to the range today with 100 rounds of UMC 115-grain FMJ. I still only have the one mag that came with it, so it took awhile to get 100 rounds through it, but they were all flawless, and shot to point of aim at 7 and 10 yards. I didn't find the checkering abrasive at all, nor did I find the recoil to be a problem. If I'd had more ammo with me I'd have gladly put more rounds downrange. I don't believe in using the slide stop as a release, so that was a non-issue for me as well. Trigger pull was excellent for DAO.

I'm not a fan of the bill board loaded chamber indicator, but I can file that down so it's not so obtrusive. It doesn't affect the shootability at all, it's just...ugly. I also don't like the mag disconnect, and will probably remove that when I'm more comfortable with a detail strip, but it also doesn't affect how the gun shoots.

As reported, I shot 100 rounds through it today at 7 and 10 yards...all shots were on target, and, although this is by no means a tack driver, it is more than adequate for self defense purposes. I think the hundreds of dry-fires that I did before taking it out helped me with trigger control, as I had no problem with the trigger.

This one is a keeper...once I find "the right" holster, this will be my constant companion come November 1...

The LC9 definitely has a trigger pull that you NEED to practice with and get used to, the first ~100 rounds out of mine (with no dry-firing before) and i was all over the place @ ~15yds. (i like to shoot a bit farther distance than needed just for practice in accuracy, if you're accurate at distance, you're going to be even better at close range IMO) and just like you, looked like i shot the target with a couple rounds of buckshot from a shotgun :lol:
Anyways i took a break and let my friends shoot for a bit since i only had another ~20---40 rounds, half of them were 124gr+P HP, the rest were Federal 115gr. FMJs. I practiced just dry-firing the gun at the target (i use A-Zoom snap caps just to be safe) and noticed that with the position of my finger on the trigger i was really jerking the gun when the trigger broke, since i was already past the point of pulling straight back with my finger (using the pad like i do with all other pistols). I put more finger on the trigger, about to the joint almost and positioned my finger a bit lower than i normally would on the trigger, and did some more dry-firing. Just that simple change improved my shooting with this gun TREMENDOUSLY!! I went from jerking the gun to the right after every trigger break to staying right on target (dry-firing). I then had my buddy load a magazine with 2 snap-caps in it (so i dont know where the duds are, improves flinching when shooting IMMENSELY doing this drill as you see how much you flinch when you hit a snap cap) and went back to shooting may last couple magazines. @ 10yds, i went from shotgun groupings to literally 2-1/2in. groupings!
Honestly being accurate with this gun, IMO, is all about learning the trigger since it's so differnt from any other pistol i've shot, (more similar to DAO revolvers but i rarely shoot those), and practice with the gun of course. Now i'm at ~800rds. with the gun and ~2k dry-fires, i've gotten quite a bit better with it. At ~25yds, REALLY bearing down, i can get 7-shot groupings that are ~3in. I'm very good with a pistol and excellent with a rifle, but before i bought this gun i didn't expect this gun to be NEARLY as accurate as it is! I was extremely happy/surprised when i started shooting great groupings @ distance for this particular pistol, and at ~25yds. shooting ~1 round a second i can keep them all in chest area, about an 10-12in. grouping. So at 25yds. rapid fire i can get all rounds center mass basically. Now this IS at the range, this doesnt factor in stress, etc. and usually from the research i've done, you're groupings when shooting under stress open up 3-fold compared to when you're just at the range plinking away, something to think about before carrying a gun, IMO you should become proficient with it before you carry it. I didnt start carrying my LC9 until i had ~500rds. through it and had a good feel for the gun.
To add, i've had only ONE FTL, it was the first 50rds and the springs were still very tight. Since then, i haven't had ONE single problem; no FTL, FTF, even FTE, no double feeds, and best of all, my magazine doesnt randomly pop out when it feels like it (referring to kel-tecs and their numerous problems since they like to bag on the LCP/LC9 for "copying" their design, but IMO Ruger did something right because the only recall i've heard of was the front sight post on the first couple production guns werent pinned down and were moving out of place. Other than that from what i've experienced and read, they're VERY reliable guns!

As for the LCI, just take it off and follow the contour of it, and file it down until it pops up the right amount for you, or if you dont want it to be functional at all just completely sand off the nub that touches the bullet casing, simple fix in 10min.

Now the Magazine Safety Disconnect is a bit trickier, i did mine and i wrote up a VERY detailed description of what you need to to, step by step so if you'd like i can email you that. Also one of the people i sent my directions out to said he was going to video the process (something ishould have done instead of writing the process out) and post it on youtube.com for people to watch so they can SEE what im talking about, and not have to read my directions, look at the blown up picture of the firearm in pieces in the back of the owners manual, and then figuring out what you need to do. So you MAY want to wait for the video if you're not very handy with tools/working on machines.
However, i'm not the greatest and i removed mine by simply looking at the blown up chart in the back, locating the pieces on the chart that needed to be removed, and digging in! ;) Which is why i wrote out detailed directions as i know A LOT of people don't like that feature on a CCW/back-up gun. I'f you're interested just email me and i'll be more than happy to send you the directions on how to disconnect the mag safety.

As for holsters, i just picked up a DeSantis front pocket holster. You can use that for your front pocket or use it as an IWB holster with no clips obviously but its better than "felony carrying" it as another person put it. I'm not a very big guy, 5'11 ~175lbs. and i have a 32in waste and i only own a couple pairs of jeans where it's a bit too tight in the pocket and a little slow on the draw. All my other pants work perfect with the holster and even my friends that know i CC everyday ask sometimes if i have my gun on me, so it's a great, cheap holster IMO. If you're looking for a top-of-the-line IWB holster, i would contact Mr. Tommy Theis of TheisHolsters.com, He makes holsters for them that are exactly like Crossbreed Supertuck holsters (my favorite IWB holster for full size/heavier guns) basically, only differnce is he uses a bit thinner leather so it conceals better and molds a bit better but i noticed on my full-size heavy gun, that after ~6 months of sweating in it everyday and wearing it everyday al day, the hide was a bit too thin and started to lose a bit of rigidity around the straps and is flexing a bit now, nothing that makes it not useable/uncomfortable, just doesnt support a full-size as well as the Crossbreed because the hide is thinner.
However for the LC9 it is PERFECT! You dont have to wait ~7-8 weeks for a damn holster (more like 4-5 days FOR REAL), it's a way lighter gun than a full-size so it won't need the extra rigidity of thicker leather, and it's JUST like a CRossbreed with thinner leather! I'm a Theis supporter, he's BY FAR the best guy i've dealt with, spent ~1 hour total with me on the phone over a couple phone calls answering all my questions, HE HIMSELF makes ALL the hosters, no other workers, not even to answer to phone or mail stuff out, he's a one man shop and he's old school so he knows what customer service is and knows quality, so i really try to push his holsters on smaller sized guns as he can custom make things for you (i had a dual mag IWB holster made for my FNP-40, which works fine in one of his holsters too, a bit on the heavy side but not to the point of a full-size where i'd recommend a Crossbreed because of the thicker leather.

Sorry for the long post but i had A LOT to say obviously about your subject. I actually recently decided to polish my barrel on my LC9 too since the bluing job is REALLY badly done, on all LC9's from what i've seen. At ~700rds. my slide around the chamber from the front was scratched up all around every edge for ~2in. back, and it was starting to make the gun look cheap. This i don't understand because i've put ~3k rounds through my FN and my Taurus without any of the bluing really being scratched off, unlike the LC9. So i took the barrel out and de-greased it and de-blued it, then i polished it with the 421 dremel compound for a rough polish, followed by Flitz metal polish with a dremel for a nice fine polish and rust protection, as well as a real thin layer of oil. TheHobbyistChannel from youtbe.com was the first one i saw do it, and i contacted him and followed his procedures and my barrel came out looking extremely nice!! IMO it not only makes the gun look nicer and more expensive, it smoothes out the action noticeably.

Last thing i wanted to add was this next week i'm getting in some SS guide rods for the LC9 to test for a guide rod maker, so i'll be testing a SS guide rod out next week as well as posting a review on it so look for it. If everything goes good, and there's no problems like there was with the kel-tecs (from design, the SS guide rail would hit the barrel/rub against and oval the slide making the recoil spring pop through!) So obviously i'll be testing this very slowly and checking it after every shot to make sure ther's no problems, and if all goes well it'll be a nice addition to the LC9, more weight on the front = less muzzle flip = getting your sights back on target quicker. Not only that they dont flex like the stock guide rods do, and they don't wear out like the stock plastic ones do. Some have said they've notcied that their slide is a bit tighter after installing, and that makes the gun more accurate. One thing i do know for a fact is that when IDPA competition shooters are allowed to use SS guide rods, they do. So if they're pros and they notice a differnce in them then it obviously must help, probably not to the point that i'd notice a difference but it's nice to know it's there, and not only that it'll look really nice with my polished barrel! :D
Again, sorry for the long post but i hope it was informative! If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me as i dont want to mess up this thread, i will be making a thread on the guide rod and be posting pics next week.

Loco Weed

Bearcat
Yes, the magazines are made in Italy by Mec-Gar, a huge mag making firm that furnishes mags to all the big pistol manufacturers here in the states and Europe. It's simply the best mag on the market and you should always buy Mec-Gar for any and all semi-auto pistols.

black029

Single-Sixer
Loco Weed said:
Yes, the magazines are made in Italy by Mec-Gar, a huge mag making firm that furnishes mags to all the big pistol manufacturers here in the states and Europe. It's simply the best mag on the market and you should always buy Mec-Gar for any and all semi-auto pistols.

Thanks, good to know. Don't understand why Ruger only gives you one magazine, other than the price of the gun looks better.
Does Mec-Gar have their own website from which to purchase their product, and save the inevitable gunmaker markup?
But why ask, I'll just Google it.............

Stimo3

Single-Sixer
Just finished up most of the testing and did a review on the new SS guide rod coming out for the LC9. Check it out! Here's a link with pics;

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=122563