New Bisley Talo - Turnbull Case Colors

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Bud's Gun Shop sold out of these very quickly.
There was 10 in stock when I ordered mine, then "poof" there was none.

Maybe Ruger can take a hint and pick up production of these?

Is it just me, or does that unfluted cylinder make the gun look totally beefier and more trust-worthy? Kinda like filling up a wheel well with bigger tires stuffed into it. Anyone else feel that way?

jbntx

Single-Sixer
WanderLust said:
Is it just me, or does that unfluted cylinder make the gun look totally beefier and more trust-worthy? Kinda like filling up a wheel well with bigger tires stuffed into it. Anyone else feel that way?

It does make it look stronger, but the 6 shot unfluted cylinder is no stronger than the 6 shot fluted cylinder.
The cylinder stop notches are still the same thickness and still the weakest point.

I do prefer the unfluted cylinder. I can't wait for Bud's to ship the one I ordered.

CraigC

Hawkeye
WanderLust said:
For me it depends on the gun. I like fluting on a more classic sixgun, like the Colt SAA. On a serious hunting gun, I think unfluted looks better. In this case, I like it a lot better than the roll marked cylinder Bisley's usually have.

I like it, a lot. But the hammer is a real turnoff for me, mine would have a case hardened hammer already coming. I would like to see a case hardened trigger as well, and the cylinder front and rear black powder chamfered. Lastly, I could not imagine coming with out with this special revolver, and not offering the pinned front sight blade. Then I would love it for what it could be. But to be perfect it still would need a 5 shot cylinder, then I would have one on the way, but then there would not be much use in peddling a 454 in stainless would there. I guess this is why we need the custom builders, but fer a factory assembled revolver, this one scores very high on the best of the best list fer me!

Oh, no I won't be ordering one as I would have to much in it over just sending one to a custom builder and having it built with the changes I would want this gun with,, I will just have to stick with my highly self modified 5.5" stainless Bisley fer now,, even with it's cheap looking cheesy scroll engraved cylinder, it definitely does make the gun look less intended for business to me with this cheesy engraving!

I know CraigC, I do not know the proper term for the chamfer I am referring to, and why I also stated front and rear. I am fine with the cylinder actually, I am glad they had the decency to omit the cheesy engraving they use on the other unfluted 45 Colt cylinders, I think that would cheapen the look more than the trigger they used. But I would like a chamfer running the circumference of the cylinder front and rear is all.

CraigC

Hawkeye
wildcatter said:
I know CraigC, I do not know the proper term for the chamfer I am referring to, and why I also stated front and rear. I am fine with the cylinder actually, I am glad they had the decency to omit the cheesy engraving they use on the other unfluted 45 Colt cylinders, I think that would cheapen the look more than the trigger they used. But I would like a chamfer running the circumference of the cylinder front and rear is all.
I understand what you're talking about now. The "blackpowder bevel", is a bevel put on the front of the cylinder, radiusing the leading edge, between the flutes. Out of m y pics, it's most obvious on this USFA.

IMG_0953b.jpg

The factory Bisley cylinder isn't engraved, it's roll-marked. Reminiscent of the Naval scene on the old Colt percussion guns.

IMG_9503b.jpg

yes Craig I understand that, as I said why I added front and rear,,, but thanks for the technical terms correction, I rely think most others know what
I am sarcastically referring to, if not my apologies,, seriously I think most know Ruger isn't paying for someone to engrave thees cheesy cylinders,

It's MrBumps fault.....
I went out last night and bought one of these.
Seeing how I sold my single actions years ago, I "needed" at least one.
Fit and finish is pretty good, except for the grips, typical recent Ruger.
Action is a bit gritty feeling, will get it apart and see what I see.
The hammer has to go, need to check into choices, not up on single action stuff.
May want to pick your brains about hammer choices later.
Will report back after I pull it apart and shoot it.
Dave

Cholo

Staff member
It looks like mrbumps got the actual gun Talo used for its stock photo. Kinda cool! 8)

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=262371

chet15

Hawkeye
Not since 1961 has a Ruger come out of the factory without medallions in the grip panels.
Did somebody at the factory forget this little tidbit? I see the example pictured at Lipsey's is also without medallions.
Chet15

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
Notice the fit of the grip frame to the cylinder frame. Usually the grip frame has to be milled to match the back of the cylinder frame to remove the awful gap in the grip panels.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I like the look of the grip without medallions on case hardened guns.
These guns have a TBB prefix to denote a special run but I notice the one on TALO's website is a standard Blackhawk number, 38-66721, most likely the prototype.

I got one a few days ago, gave it a basic cleaning ( did not pull completely apart ) and took it to
the range last night. I've never had a .45 colt before so I got a few boxes of ammo to try.
The fit/finish is pretty good ( other than the grips ) and the thing seems pretty accurate.
Standing at about 15 yards it was hitting at point of aim .
Only issue is the trigger pull is pretty bad, not so much the pull weight, but the relatively
long creepy travel. Of the revolvers I own it's with no doubt the worst, well except for
the Nagant.
Earlier in this thread people linked to the Powers custom hammer....anybody install
one? Did it help? It could solve two issues....the stainless hammer ( what were they thinking? )
and maybe the trigger at the same time. Only issue I see is it's just a black oxide finish.
I'm used to "industrial" type black oxide which usually doesn't look too great.
Anybody know if Turnbull will sell a case hardened hammer?
Thanks
Dave