Need help! Length of ebony forend tip on Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rifleman1981

Bearcat
Hi guys,

I'm currently having a gunsmith make a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .280 remington, with a nice himalayan walnut stock and a 24 inch barrel. I'm actually trying to keep most of the original Ruger specifications, e.g. I use the standard stock shape as a basis, the checkering will be as for the Hawkeye on the forend and as the Ruger no. 1 on the pistol grip, I´m adding the Ruger no. 1 pistol grip cap, etc.

I´m also going to add a nice ebony (or similar) forend tip. However, I'm struggling finding good measures for the length of it. Both too short as well as too long can turn out ugly. However, the length of the tip on the Hawkeye African model looks nice. Does anyone have this rifle, and if so, can you do me the favor of measuring the length of it?

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Don't have that particular model. I have only two Rugers w/ an ebony fore tip and only one of them that I can measure right now. On my RSM the tip is 1 7/16". The other one is a MKII UL. I wouldn't particularly worry about an exact measurement as I would bet there is some small variation anyway even within a particular model run. I would start with an inch and a half (or a bit more) and shape it. Post some pics... in progress and finished would be nice.

pete44ru

Hunter

Welcome to the forum !

IMO, a one inch long FE tip is too short; a two inch long FE tip is too long (unless the FE is very long) - so anywhere in the 1-1/2" range (+/-) should look OK.

I would suggest you make a few different length cardboard mockup's of the FE tip (painted black), and try-fit them on your custom stock, to see which length is to your tastes, before making one in Ebony.

Latest posts