It's Bee season...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Carpenter Bees that is. And, since my house has Cedar siding...They must die!
Got four with my Henry Garden Gun earlier, but could only retrieve two, as the others were so close, they basically disintegrated. 💥
20240427_125313.jpg

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
And here I thought this may be one of those Beverly Hillbillies bit where Jed and Jethro were shooting at flies against the wall of the estate, don't hit a bee or you lose a point! :)
Unfortunately, I don't possess the Super Human abilities the Clampetts obviously had...But, at least this keeps me in shape for the Fall bird hunting seasons.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have 3 tennis racquets around here & the range. Carpenter bees get whacked often. But since I have some higher up wood & such,, I'm going to be loading some handgun ammo just for the boring devils! (Primer, light powder charge, cardboard wad, walnut shell media, cardboard wad & wax.) Buzz too high for my racquet,, and die by walnut shell!

I started last year spraying Permethrin on my deck and down at the barn and I really think it has made a big difference. I have a back pack sprayer and I put on goggles and a mask (although they say it is not harmful to humans and pets) and saturate things. I may look like something out of a B level Sci-Fi movie from the fifties when doing it, but it works.

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
I started last year spraying Permethrin on my deck and down at the barn and I really think it has made a big difference. I have a back pack sprayer and I put on goggles and a mask (although they say it is not harmful to humans and pets) and saturate things. I may look like something out of a B level Sci-Fi movie from the fifties when doing it, but it works.
Permethrin is NOT safe for use around felines. Before I knew this, I sprayed our dogs bed with it, then a short time later, and after hanging out with the dog on said bed, one of our cats became violently ill, then extremely lethargic. We had to make an emergency visit to the Vet...Who diagnosed Permethrin poisoning. And, then for a while afterwards, it looked like he just wasn't going to make it. But, he finally did pull through. And, the Vet said if we hadn't have promptly bought him in, he definitely would have died....It was quite an expensive lesson.

So you plan to shoot holes in your cedar siding to eliminate a bee. Great thinking! Each year two seem to appear on my front porch, buzzing around and antagonizing the wife. I just ignore them. Been here now 43 years and have never seen more than two, but it is two yearly. Also see solitary wasps yearly. Fascinating to watch them bring small grubs back to the nest.

Permethrin is NOT safe for use around felines. Before I knew this, I sprayed our dogs bed with it, then a short time later, and after hanging out with the dog on said bed, one of our cats became violently ill, then extremely lethargic. We had to make an emergency visit to the Vet...Who diagnosed Permethrin poisoning. And, then for a while afterwards, it looked like he just wasn't going to make it. But, he finally did pull through. And, the Vet said if we hadn't have promptly bought him in, he definitely would have died....It was quite an expensive lesson.
Really??? The directions said it was harmless to animals. We have several cats too. I'm glad you posted this.

contender

Ruger Guru
The "Bug-A-Salt" gun isn't very effective on them. I've tried. And as for chemicals,, there are a few others besides Permethrin, that work very well.

Shooting them with walnut shell media,, or rice loads doesn't cause damage to wood.

But the damage done by them boring holes,, then followed by woodpeckers hammering out he bee larva is VERY bad.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you can reach the holes,, a can of WD-40 with the red skinny tube nozzle can be inserted in their holes, sprayed, and it'll kill the larva. Then fill in the holes.
Woodpeckers won't hammer out the wood to get any dead larva.