Need advice on a Colt 19911A1 slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I came across a military Colt slide in a box of parts I inherited from a deceased friend. It is a parkerized Colt slide in excellent to new condition with minor handling marks. It has both both front and back sights, the original barrel bushing, and the firing, pin , spring and extractor. Slide is marked ''Model Of 1911 U.S. Army'' and the usual Colt markings and patented dates on the opposite side. I have no need for this slide and I would appreciate any of our astute members giving me an idea what this slide be worth on Bay or Gunbroker? Thanks guys! :)

without seeing it, and if its "original" parkerizing ( and its color) we've bought and sold them in the $150 to $250 range...........
when you remove the firing pin bushing ( retainer) from the rear of the slide , are there any numbers stamped over and under the firing pin hole????

loaded round

Hunter
It is a single digit 8. It is original parkerizing in a dark gray, almost black finish.

rugerguy said:
without seeing it, and if its "original" parkerizing ( and its color) we've bought and sold them in the $150 to $250 range...........
when you remove the firing pin bushing ( retainer) from the rear of the slide , are there any numbers stamped over and under the firing pin hole????

DGW1949

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28 said:
OFF THE TOP, SOUNDS LIKE AN ARSENAL REFINISH OF A WW I SLIDE........ PM IF YOU WISH TO SELL AND WE CAN DISCUSS. :)

That is my thought too.
As for "what is it worth?", about all I can say there is that it would probably be worth far more to a collector/restorer than it would be to most shooters. Not a lot of unaltered/serviceable 1911 parts floating around these days...and even less unaltered slides with most of their parts intact, which very-well may be what you've got there.
As always though...good photos would help a lot.

And BTW, if you happen to run up on an original/serviceable 1911 hammer in that box of parts, I'd be interested in one of those myself.

DGW

loaded round

Hunter
I do have a 1911 wide spur hammer. Make me a fair offer.

DGW1949 said:
HAWKEYE#28 said:
OFF THE TOP, SOUNDS LIKE AN ARSENAL REFINISH OF A WW I SLIDE........ PM IF YOU WISH TO SELL AND WE CAN DISCUSS. :)

That is my thought too.
As for "what is it worth?", about all I can say there is that it would probably be worth far more to a collector/restorer than it would be to most shooters. Not a lot of unaltered/serviceable 1911 parts floating around these days...and even less unaltered slides with most of their parts intact, which very-well may be what you've got there.

And BTW, if you happen to run up on an original/serviceable 1911 hammer in that box of parts, I'd be interested in one of those myself.

DGW

loaded round

Hunter
Correction, It is a narrow spur hammer in excellent condition.

DGW1949 said:
HAWKEYE#28 said:

That is my thought too.

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
The 1911 hammer had a wide spur. Plus, the spur itself is a bit longer and more curved than the later (1911A-1) wide-spur hammer.
In other words, the 1911 used a specific hammer which went bye-bye when the 1911A-1 was introduced...the only exception being that the Argentine military opted to bring it back for their M1927.

Hope this helped.

DGW