Need a good 1911 competition holster. Recommendations?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Collector1337

Bearcat
Anybody use their 1911 for competition?

I'm pretty accurate with my 1911 so I'm thinking about using it for my competition gun. I need a good holster for competition though.

Any tips? What do you guys use?

mattsbox99

Hunter
For USPSA I have a Blackhawk Serpa. I've also used a Bianchi CarryLok. USPSA often requires movement within the stage and you want something that the pistol won't fall out of. I did modify the Serpa's lock so it only requires minimal pressure to release but still holds the pistol secure. You can also change the angle of the cant so its easier to grab and avoid sweeping yourself.

XDM4545

Bearcat
I'm currently using Uncle Mikes holster and mag pouches. They are a cheap starting point to get the feel for things. I will probably upgrade later.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I really like the BladeTech and thats what I use for my Limited gun. Its non adjustable but you can still draw fast if you practice with it.

dbc603

Bearcat
I use my SR1911 to compete in USPSA single stack division, and I run it from a Blade Tech "DOH"holster. You have to remove the offset fixture, though, as single stack division does not allow an offset holster...it's designed to be removable, so it's easy to do.

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
I use a BladeTech when in training at Front Sight Nevada. I also have a BlackHawk serpa with the trigger-finger release mechanism (not allowed at FS any more). If I wanted an OSWB holster with positive retention, I'd use my Hogue that has the thumb-actuated lock release (between the pistol and body). I also bought one from Uncle Mike's that my son used at FS last month and it worked pretty well for him.

There are loads of choices out there. What works for me or someone else might not work well for you. Like many of us, you'll probably wind up with a box full of 'em.